Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

Just wondering what sort of process you go through when you take the treats off your body??

Do you leave them in a closed treat bag?

How far away do you have them in the inital stages?

I am moving treats off my body - way later than I should be!- and wondering how you do guys do it?

Lewis & Rommi seem to be coping with it better than me, I am finding it hard to let them go! We have already started on jackpots, but I am so inclinded to keep treats on me and forget to get rid of them!

Bad bad me :cry:

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You can keep treats on you, just don't feed them.

Before a training session, without the dogs seeing, stash food pots about, then you can randomly reward from different stations in the training area. Also good for the dogs to learn that just because you have treats on you, doesn't mean they are available.

I use food pots... I have a bunch of small containers that I scatter around the field with a treat or two. Initially I only do very small amounts like a few paces of heelwork and then we run over to the food pot. This is gradually increased as the dog gets used to remote rewards.

You just have to watch out - Jedi in his first CCD trial thought that when we started fast pace we were running to a food pot :D Fixed that one up quick smart!

You can keep treats on you, just don't feed them.

Before a training session, without the dogs seeing, stash food pots about, then you can randomly reward from different stations in the training area. Also good for the dogs to learn that just because you have treats on you, doesn't mean they are available.

Oh yes that makes perfect sense!

Thank you hadn't thought about doing that.

Right will add that in

I use food pots... I have a bunch of small containers that I scatter around the field with a treat or two. Initially I only do very small amounts like a few paces of heelwork and then we run over to the food pot. This is gradually increased as the dog gets used to remote rewards.

You just have to watch out - Jedi in his first CCD trial thought that when we started fast pace we were running to a food pot :D Fixed that one up quick smart!

That sounds great as well, I knew you guys were full of good info ;)

I have some small containers for jackpots, so will use them and spread them around.

That would have been interesting with Jedi! Did you get him back or did he run off going hey mum, where is my treat pot?

You just have to watch out - Jedi in his first CCD trial thought that when we started fast pace we were running to a food pot ;) Fixed that one up quick smart!

Good on ya Jedi :D

You just have to watch out - Jedi in his first CCD trial thought that when we started fast pace we were running to a food pot :thumbsup: Fixed that one up quick smart!

That sounds great as well, I knew you guys were full of good info :cheer:

I have some small containers for jackpots, so will use them and spread them around.

That would have been interesting with Jedi! Did you get him back or did he run off going hey mum, where is my treat pot?

Thankfully it was CCD so he only managed to get the length of my trialling lead :thumbsup: Now he knows that he can't go running for his treat pot until we are leaving the ring in a trial - and then he pulls my arm off trying to get there! :( Jedi HATES it when I stop to have a chat with the judge -- the desperation on his face is priceless! "But we're FINISHED!!! LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

Hay all havnt been in here for a while we are taking a break from trials whilst dad's away as i have no baby sitter for the ferals. Anyhoo just had to pop in today and give you all a great laugh, diesel encounterd his first broad jump today he seemed a bit "off with the fairy's" today so instructor decided to introduce somthing new to get is mind working, (wish i had a camera) he literly went up across and down you could of made a perfect rectangle if you include the grass from where he started to where he landed I have laughed at him befor but i just peed myself at this one :laugh:

So we altered his jumping and landing skills and tried another trial patten and i lost it, we were doing the recall and i did wait but forgot to move so hear i am standing next to diesel after telling him to wait with my instructor peeing her self laughing It took 20 od seconds for me to twig you have to walk away to do recalls :o:):o:laugh: tink i might just crawl back in to that hole now :o

I trained one position in stay at a time. I also work on only one component at a time, eg either time or distance (inc out of sight) but not both at once. I also like to vary the context as much as possible but in front of the dinner bowl seems to have the most beneficial impact on other stays.

We're getting a little confused at dinner time and I try using the word "chill" instead of "Stay" because I don't care if she sits or lies down as long as she remains in the same spot that I put her, like Susan Garrett has for when her dogs are in their crates. As long as they remain inside the crate, they can do what they like in there. Well, ideally, they do it quietly, not barking their heads off.

Ian Dunbar is all for repeating commands as needed. Lesley Nelson says say the command only once. So I think if the dog was parked and not looking like moving, I wouldn't repeat or add a command.

When we're working on Stay in front of the dinner bowl, if she changes position before I release her, I put her back in position either by signal, command or luring, and make her wait some more. Doing this consistently has gotten me some good stays. But the trick is regular practice.

As for lengths, I think for trial, I'd practice a longer stay than needed. I'd like to be able to get a nice calm stay for as long as I want eg while I help set up agility course etc. We had one dog that would stay while we went up and down the street doing the shopping and banking. She would stay for hours, as if the boss was in the pub, having some beers with his mates.

But I'd also vary the time - short and long and medium, so the dog had no particular expectation about how long a stay is supposed to be.

This mornings effort at training was tragic. We did lovely off lead heel work out on the race course, and came back into the dog club area and put the lead back on and she's off with the possum poo. There was possum poo out on the race course too. And bugs. Lots of flies etc. And she was stuck to my leg. But come back in for formal on lead heelwork - hello - what strange dog is this?

And did a nice couple of agility runs but refused - for some reason to do the last jump. Went under it.

Any tips for keeping her nose off the ground? So far, continuous treat feeding seems to be the only thing that works - and then she fills up and loses interest in the treats!!! You think she was a beagle not an ACDx.

If you come up with an answer for keeping the nose off the ground let me in on the secret please. So far I have found only continious work at it, hoping in the end

the nose forgets to go down. A little tip Beagles knecks are slightly longer than the average canine which is why it is easy for the nose and those big floppy

ears sweep up the scent tough for the poor little guys Beagie

For CCD - does your lead have to be a specific length?

minimum 750mm :rofl:

Thanks Tiggy, I want to get Mason a bling lead and collar for trials but I remembered reading somewhere that the lead had to be a specific length, just could not remember what the length was!

Any tips for keeping her nose off the ground? So far, continuous treat feeding seems to be the only thing that works - and then she fills up and loses interest in the treats!!! You think she was a beagle not an ACDx.

The only way I managed to do it was by building Daisy's drive, so she was so revved up and excited she 'forgot' about scenting. I have to be more interesting than the scents on the ground.