Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

Ptolomy is the best thrower I have ever seen....superwoman!!!! :) I'm a chucker....all I care about is getting it over the jump and not landing on the judges head!!! I've had to train my dogs to go out and get it from wherever the damn thing lands, return back over the jump and present straight!!! Poor dogs ;)

Between Ptolomy and me you've got no chance!!! ;) Get it right girl!!! :(

I've thrown the dumbell a couple of times and had it rebound off the solid jump post :) So thankful that has only been in training, though! Waiting for my first real embarrassing dumbell mishap in a trial yet. It's bound to happen soon with my disgraceful throwing skills!!

I am trying to get it right, believe me I am :) That is why I love being picked on :) My "sit" signal in distance control is not as neat as I would prefer at this point in time and has changed almost as many times as I have changed my underpants in the past month, but the current one seems to be working best so once the girls are a bit more solid I might refine it to something less bold? I'm basically using my right arm and pointing it directly into the air above my head. Poor Ruby, she's my guinea pig with those whole training/trialling thing! One day I'll get it together :thumbsup:

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I love reading this thread but it's a bit intimidating as a newbie when everyone posts such excellent videos :) ;)

So I thought I'd be brave and post one from a beginner!!! Our club assessment is coming up so I just wanted to get a video that included most of the exercises they expect. I've already picked up a few things wrong with my handling that I didn't realise I was doing until I watched my footage (eg. stepping into her, funny hand positioning on the recall) so please be kind :)

My little girl is 9.5 months old, she is so willing to learn and is teaching me a lot.

We usually train on the oval where I have a lot more room to reward differently and be a lot more exciting, I don't usually just walk in circles in my pergola :(

Great video! :thumbsup: Like bedazzled posted, be careful of your hand position in the recall. If you want your hands in front of you after you recall her, get into the habit of putting them there before you recall her, too :) She's a clever girly and is doing well :)

Edited by RubyStar

What's really embarrassing is when the judge hands you the dumbbell and then holds their clipboard over their head!!!! :) It was about then I decided to throw over arm :)

I've changed my down and sit signal a few times...and don't get me started on footwork!!!!

Ptolomy is the best thrower I have ever seen....superwoman!!!! ;) I'm a chucker....all I care about is getting it over the jump and not landing on the judges head!!! I've had to train my dogs to go out and get it from wherever the damn thing lands, return back over the jump and present straight!!! Poor dogs :(

Between Ptolomy and me you've got no chance!!! :p Get it right girl!!! :)

I've thrown the dumbell a couple of times and had it rebound off the solid jump post ;) So thankful that has only been in training, though! Waiting for my first real embarrassing dumbell mishap in a trial yet. It's bound to happen soon with my disgraceful throwing skills!!

I am trying to get it right, believe me I am :) That is why I love being picked on :D My "sit" signal in distance control is not as neat as I would prefer at this point in time and has changed almost as many times as I have changed my underpants in the past month, but the current one seems to be working best so once the girls are a bit more solid I might refine it to something less bold? I'm basically using my right arm and pointing it directly into the air above my head. Poor Ruby, she's my guinea pig with those whole training/trialling thing! One day I'll get it together :thumbsup:

What's really embarrassing is when the judge hands you the dumbbell and then holds their clipboard over their head!!!! :) It was about then I decided to throw over arm :thumbsup:

I've changed my down and sit signal a few times...and don't get me started on footwork!!!!

OMG did you dong someone on the head? :) ;) Now most importantly - who was it and do you have it on video?! :):(

Twas very close...lots of ducking and weaving! Before we all got video cameras thank God!!!! Although some judges still remember :)

What's really embarrassing is when the judge hands you the dumbbell and then holds their clipboard over their head!!!! :) It was about then I decided to throw over arm :thumbsup:

OMG did you dong someone on the head? :) ;) Now most importantly - who was it and do you have it on video?! :):(

Great video! :thumbsup: Like bedazzled posted, be careful of your hand position in the recall. If you want your hands in front of you after you recall her, get into the habit of putting them there before you recall her, too :( She's a clever girly and is doing well :)

Thanks RubyStar, that's one of the things I didn't realise I was doing until I watched the video ;) Yesterday at training I made sure I kept my hands in the same spot before and after :)

Aww bad luck sas, pity not to get that final pass before he goes on his meds. :rofl:

Well done to you and Abby TerraNik. :rofl:

Just noticed a lot of people seem to do single trials - is that the way you enter or is it because there is only a single trial available? Most of ours are doubles but I'm finding Darcy seems to find the obedience tiring yet can cope easily with 8 to 10 runs a day at an agility trial.

I put Darcy through a retrieve and DOR without the superfluous signals and she coped just fine. :rofl: We will see how it goes in a trial situation tomorrow. :rofl:

Can somebody tell me where Pine Rivers is in relation to Brisbane please.

I guess what I want to know is could I drive there and would I be able to find it??

About 45 minutes from Durack, on the north side of Brisbane and very easy to find. Bells Pocket Road, Lawnton - try google maps.

Are you thinking of the trial on the 30th October?

I enter doubles when they're available, but the vast majority of ours are single trials.

Ditto. There's only usually a handful of double trials available throughout the year. Tomorrow just happens to be a double for us. Terribly tiring for the dog AND handler, though! And this one has a 2 hour drive home afterwards, so not looking forward to that :D Might have to stop off for a large coffee somewhere on the way home to ensure we get home in one piece!

No pass for us today, we managed to do our worst possible work and completely bomb *sigh*

Sorry to hear that sas :) Honestly, bloody trialling, don't know why we do it! :D

Oh well eh!

Bugger, sas :cheer: Know what the disappointment is like far too well!! Better luck for next time :cheer:

Well I did a double trial today (my club's trial) and unfortunately no passes. Ella has clearly been reading up on the 101 ways to blow directed jumping! In the first trial she took the wrong jump the first time but got it right the second time and managed to get 169 and 2nd place with just that one 0. In the later trial she shot past the box and sat somewhere behind it and then went to do the same thing the second time but I told her off and sent her to the box and then she lost the plot and started looking around as if searching for her seek back. Everything else was really nice though. Fingers crossed for next week's trial!

Well I did a double trial today (my club's trial) and unfortunately no passes. Ella has clearly been reading up on the 101 ways to blow directed jumping! In the first trial she took the wrong jump the first time but got it right the second time and managed to get 169 and 2nd place with just that one 0. In the later trial she shot past the box and sat somewhere behind it and then went to do the same thing the second time but I told her off and sent her to the box and then she lost the plot and started looking around as if searching for her seek back. Everything else was really nice though. Fingers crossed for next week's trial!

Bugger!!!! Fingers crossed next week!!!