Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

Had quite a good training session tonight :) I like nights when I feel some progress may have been made and things go well :o

Me too! By the end of my second heeling pattern I was able to get some quite nice work out of Lexi and stop bumbling around and confusing her :hug:

And Toby did ok at playing some CU games :)

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm feeling all out of whack with training at the moment. Luuka and I were doing really well until we got a new obedience trainer who is ... just not the right fit for us I feel. She means well but she confuses me. She tells me to be firmer with Luuka and then that I'm not praising enough. She also made me completely change how I was teaching Luuka drop. I was bending down and leading her part of the way down with a treat but the trainer said I'm not to bend at all, and I just have to make the signal with my right hand and say 'drop'. So now Luuka just stares at me.

She won't do anything at all without a treat. I'm doing it all wrong :) Like I said to TN last night, I feel like Luuka is a super expensive and complicated piece of technology and I am an ape trying to work it!

Bah.

It's very typical of spitz breeds to not want to do things without a 'reason' (e.g. in Jedi's ET he didn't want to keep running after 6km until I told him there was a pigs ear waiting for him! That was reason enough to keep going! :grouphug:). Lappies are easier to convince than most spitz breeds because they are after all, working dogs. But not doing anything unless there's a treat being waved around is something that is more likely linked to how you've trained her. We can talk about this tonight, if you like. :cry:

Mason's work has been quite good this last week - despite the fact that he is itchier than he has ever been in his life at the moment, but this morning I wanted to do a recall, he sat and waited and when I called he then ran off and found a stick and would not come back to me :grouphug: I was quite un-impressed with him but I just put him back onlead and carried on doing other stuff.

Can someone remind me again, when you are leaving the dog behind which foot do you step off with? I think I have gotten myself confused :)

Mason's work has been quite good this last week - despite the fact that he is itchier than he has ever been in his life at the moment, but this morning I wanted to do a recall, he sat and waited and when I called he then ran off and found a stick and would not come back to me :grouphug: I was quite un-impressed with him but I just put him back onlead and carried on doing other stuff.

Can someone remind me again, when you are leaving the dog behind which foot do you step off with? I think I have gotten myself confused :)

The right :cry: Not that I probably do it :cry:

Had quite a good training session tonight :grouphug: I like nights when I feel some progress may have been made and things go well :cry:

:)

I'm waiting for an agility mock trial! They had quite a few leading up to the Nationals but now that I would actually like to take part in one with Ruby, they don't seem to be having any :cry:

Me too, would really appreciate one at the moment, oh well.

I'm waiting for an agility mock trial! They had quite a few leading up to the Nationals but now that I would actually like to take part in one with Ruby, they don't seem to be having any :grouphug:

Me too, would really appreciate one at the moment, oh well.

Me three :cry: I won't be in many agility trials coming up! :cry: I have the Royal and then Perth and then I am pretty sure thats it until next year! :)

Can someone remind me again, when you are leaving the dog behind which foot do you step off with? I think I have gotten myself confused :grouphug:

I have been taught to step off with the right foot when you are leaving the dog and step off with the left foot when you are heeling :)

I'm feeling all out of whack with training at the moment. Luuka and I were doing really well until we got a new obedience trainer who is ... just not the right fit for us I feel. She means well but she confuses me. She tells me to be firmer with Luuka and then that I'm not praising enough. She also made me completely change how I was teaching Luuka drop. I was bending down and leading her part of the way down with a treat but the trainer said I'm not to bend at all, and I just have to make the signal with my right hand and say 'drop'. So now Luuka just stares at me.

She won't do anything at all without a treat. I'm doing it all wrong :) Like I said to TN last night, I feel like Luuka is a super expensive and complicated piece of technology and I am an ape trying to work it!

Bah.

It's very typical of spitz breeds to not want to do things without a 'reason' (e.g. in Jedi's ET he didn't want to keep running after 6km until I told him there was a pigs ear waiting for him! That was reason enough to keep going! :rolleyes:). Lappies are easier to convince than most spitz breeds because they are after all, working dogs. But not doing anything unless there's a treat being waved around is something that is more likely linked to how you've trained her. We can talk about this tonight, if you like. :laugh:

What Nik said!

All dogs want to work for a reward, for some dogs praise is enough, for some dogs its food, for some its a toy :) I never phase out rewards and ignore any trainer who implies you should do so in dog sports.

I also agree with Nik that if she won't down without a treat in your hand that's the way you've taught it, she's still being lured without actually understand what she needs to do.

YES!

THAT'S EXACTLY IT!

Sorry for caps but I just haven't been able to articulate it properly. She is just following the treat not actually obeying a command.

How to correct this?

TN you're an angel, I will be online tonight, I'm skipping obedience, I know it's a cop out but I feel that trainer is a hindrance more than a help at the moment :rolleyes:

Have you tried some non-luring methods? My food driven girl loses her mind when she lures - she pays no attention to what she's actually doing.

Also, you can slowly phase out your hand going down (first it touches the ground, then 1 cm away, then add another cm etc)

We have our club comp on sunday - not quite sure what to expect as we have had a major flare and he is on a whole lot of new meds so I am not too confident about how he will work :laugh:

Edited to add that we have worked so hard this week and I am really disappointed, think i need a non- broken dog to train and try and compete with :eek:

Edited by Mas1981

Had quite a good training session tonight :) I like nights when I feel some progress may have been made and things go well :)

Aaaand I hate days when you feel everything is just wrong :laugh: Leaves me feeling sad and frustrated, and then I get madder at myself for allowing myself to feel that way and wonder why I keep at it :cry: Today was one of those days.

The positive though, Ruby did her 3 minute sit/5 minute down out of sight stays :cry: (and a group stand for exam, though the examination wasn't very thorough at my request).

Here's hoping for a good session next time to pick me up again and show me why I keep perservering. Being a perfectionist and not being able to deliver on that is a horrible feeling!

Had quite a good training session tonight :) I like nights when I feel some progress may have been made and things go well :)

Aaaand I hate days when you feel everything is just wrong :laugh: Leaves me feeling sad and frustrated, and then I get madder at myself for allowing myself to feel that way and wonder why I keep at it :cry: Today was one of those days.

The positive though, Ruby did her 3 minute sit/5 minute down out of sight stays :cry: (and a group stand for exam, though the examination wasn't very thorough at my request).

Here's hoping for a good session next time to pick me up again and show me why I keep perservering. Being a perfectionist and not being able to deliver on that is a horrible feeling!

I definitely know what you mean RS!

Although I must admit now we generally don't have bad training session if I look at it from the perspective of - is Daisy keen and enjoying herself and working to her potential.

There's lots I do to stuff it up though which is frustrating.

Edited by huski

I need to write on a sticky note and stick it on my steering wheel as I drive to training or a trial for a reminder - "MAKE IT FUN FOR THE DOG (and don't be a tightass with the treats)".

I need one of those t-shirts that say 'smack the handler, pat the dog' or whatever it is :)

I need to write on a sticky note and stick it on my steering wheel as I drive to training or a trial for a reminder - "MAKE IT FUN FOR THE DOG (and don't be a tightass with the treats)".

I need one of those t-shirts that say 'smack the handler, pat the dog' or whatever it is ;)

:happydance2::banghead:

I need one of those t-shirts that say 'smack the handler, pat the dog' or whatever it is ;)

:happydance2::banghead:

:happydance: Yep I definitely need one that reads something like "Blame the handler!" Or "She can do it at training!"

This one is funny :cooldance:

this_is_front_tshirt-p2350144712351481623nn4_400.jpg

Edited by RubyStar

Love it!!!! :p I can think of a whole range of cheat T shirts...with or without the profanity!!!! :happydance:

I need one of those t-shirts that say 'smack the handler, pat the dog' or whatever it is :o

:happydance::swing:

:o Yep I definitely need one that reads something like "Blame the handler!" Or "She can do it at training!"

This one is funny :happydance:

this_is_front_tshirt-p2350144712351481623nn4_400.jpg