Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ring up and attend a normal trial and they will officially measure. Just have to make sure there is somebody available to measure. Agility Dog Club have a trial on Saturday but thats probably to shorter notice unless somebody else is being measured.

I should get Millie measured, too. But doing that so soon may jinx us :)

Actually, the morning I got Ruby measured, she still had no Novice obedience passes. That day, she pulled off 2 in a row, so maybe it is a good luck thing? :worship:

Soggy was measured last weekend - I was given a measuring stick to practice with at home - to get her used to it - it didn't really help, well maybe it did - she did stand relatively still but the look on her face said I beat her every day with it :)

Yes I suspect Trixie will be like that too :) Might have to find something to practice with at home!

ETA: I have measured her at home so at least I can tell them where to start :worship: She was 42cm I think, what's with me and my over standard size dogs :rofl:

Edited by amypie

Soggy was measured last weekend - I was given a measuring stick to practice with at home - to get her used to it - it didn't really help, well maybe it did - she did stand relatively still but the look on her face said I beat her every day with it :rofl:

I want to get Lincoln measured as soon as he turns 12 month because he probably still has some growing to do after that! :) I was thinking of practining it at home as Toby has the same reaction to the measuring stick as if we were trying to brand his back! :worship:

It didn't seem so bad though because we were measured after Kyzer (sorry Amypie :rofl: )

Oh yeah, you'd think I was killing Soaks every time we have to get her measured at a flyball comp! :) Jedi doesn't give a damn about it! I've decided to introduce the measuring stick to Fable nice and early! She got her first go at 14 weeks of age!

Have you tried capturing it? It means carrying a clicker and treats around for a while but when you notice her standing you can click and treat. You can say stand softly as you do it but remember its not a command. She may start offering it to make you click and then you can move on from there. I would also look at your luring technique....

Amber is coming along nicely. Her heeling is pretty nice, recall nice and enthusiastic, stays getting there BUT I can't get her to stand without luring :love: Every time I try and fade the lure she goes 'nope not standing'. She has pretty much got everything after one showing but seems to have no comprehension at all as to what 'stand' is.

I've tried going back to the beginning (several times). I've physically stood her, not good as I end up with a squirming pup on the floor. I tried a different luring technique yesterday (from nose to throat), no go, couldn't get her to stand at all that way. Have also tried to get her stand for dinner, only works if I use the bowl in a luring manner. If I try to shape it she just drops.

She sits, drops, recalls and heels with no food in sight.

Any ideas??

Well I am very nervous but have entered a double trial on Sunday with the aim of one heeling pass. :love:

Cindy is doing very well but the more nrevous I get the slower I walk so her heeling goes belly up :D and we fail.

She has done so well with SFE after her initial problems! Her stays and recalls are great.

IF ONLY THE HANDLER CAN GET IT RIGHT!

no help here ptolomy, I have a not so occasionally clever one who sometimes thinks that she is supposed to drop in the box (not sure where she got the idea from) and who I desperately need to do more duration heel work with! LOL She works beautifully up until the change of positions in the signals and then she goes "hmm what's that over there... oh and look theres a dog in that ring doing something soo much more exciting". I can see us blowing a few quallies with our signals exercise cos she's not paying attention!

We have our first trial in almost 2 months tomorrow night and based on last night's performance she could do quite well (except those bloody signals). Everything else seems to be in working order at this stage (keeping fingers and toes crossed here)! :laugh:

Edited by Seita