Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

I thought i'd pop in to say (well i'm always reading and watching the links of your gorgeous dogs) that i'm starting on our journey of drive training :confused::(:love: I'm soooooo excited - I have high hopes for Lottie with obedience, I find it soooo fun/great working with her, but because i'm new to dog ownership etc I just need help understanding how to get the best out of herself and me!!!!!!

Watch this space for videos of us training!!! She's such a great little dog and really puts in so much effort, I just love her to bits!!!!!

Sorry, just had to share (and it's all thanks to Huski and BC4ME - they were so kind to me and really helped me along at training - I really appreciated that both of you!!!!!). With what they explained to me, and the massive difference in Lotties training I had to look into it more.....

Awesome news Beth :p I can't wait to see how you guys go, Lottie is such a fantastic dog, with so much potential, you guys are going to be a force to reckon with :D

Oh and it's my pleasure - I hardly did anything though! (apart from chat... and chatandchat which is totally unlike me :D)

Edited by huski

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well it's blowing an absolute gale up here in Brissy and I thought that it was a perfect opportunity to practice some scent work (especially seekback) seeing as at our last trial Ella had trouble finding her seekback due to the crazy winds we had that day. She certainly had to work hard to find it but she found it in less than a 90 seconds! Compared to her 5 minutes and then still not finding it at the last attempt in wind like this!

Oh and I think I've finally fixed our scent discrimination problems, she is no longer dropping articles multiple times! She seems a lot more confident and if she gets a whiff of the right one she picks it up and brings it straight back! :confused: Now I just need to introduce other people's scents to the other articles again and we're all set for our next shot at the UD trial rings! :(

Sounds good, Seita!

I thought i'd pop in to say (well i'm always reading and watching the links of your gorgeous dogs) that i'm starting on our journey of drive training :):thumbsup::thumbsup: I'm soooooo excited - I have high hopes for Lottie with obedience, I find it soooo fun/great working with her, but because i'm new to dog ownership etc I just need help understanding how to get the best out of herself and me!!!!!!

Watch this space for videos of us training!!! She's such a great little dog and really puts in so much effort, I just love her to bits!!!!!

Sorry, just had to share (and it's all thanks to Huski and BC4ME - they were so kind to me and really helped me along at training - I really appreciated that both of you!!!!!). With what they explained to me, and the massive difference in Lotties training I had to look into it more.....

Awesome news Beth :thumbsup: I can't wait to see how you guys go, Lottie is such a fantastic dog, with so much potential, you guys are going to be a force to reckon with :D

Oh and it's my pleasure - I hardly did anything though! (apart from chat... and chatandchat which is totally unlike me :p )

Hehe, thanks Bec :D Oh and we're doing lots of tuggin now - and Lotties going CRAZY for it, hehehe!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope Daisy is ok... :)

Edited by LuvLottie

That's great news Beth!

Daisy seems ok. For those of you not on FB - we had a run in with a DA dog tonight and Daisy got quite a fright :) it's the second incident we've had with a dog of this breed in the last couple of months (though not as serious as the first time) but I am growing quite concerned that Daisy, who was previously quite bomb proof around other dogs, is becoming uneasy :thumbsup:

I thought i'd pop in to say (well i'm always reading and watching the links of your gorgeous dogs) that i'm starting on our journey of drive training :):thumbsup::thumbsup: I'm soooooo excited - I have high hopes for Lottie with obedience, I find it soooo fun/great working with her, but because i'm new to dog ownership etc I just need help understanding how to get the best out of herself and me!!!!!!

Thanks Beth, you and Lottie are coming along beautifully :thumbsup:

Bec you had better be at training on Monday night......

Hi Guys,

I thought I would report back, I tried a couple of methods as suggested and the best reaction I got was with the food in my mouth and spitting it...going well so far....we did have an accident today though LOL

I spat the food to him and went to bend down to tell him how good that one was and he thought I was bending down to spit again and jumped up with his mouth open and collided with my nose....blood nose....

It will all be worth it in the end!

Edited by sas

Hi Guys,

I thought I would report back, I tried a couple of methods as suggested and the best reaction I got was with the food in my mouth and spitting it...going well so far....we did have an accident today though LOL

I spat the food to him and went to bend down to tell him how good that one was and he thought I was bending down to spit again and jumped up with his mouth open and collided with my nose....blood nose....

It will all be worth it in the end!

I think we've all done that at some stage or another :):thumbsup:

We have been training the house down for the last three weeks, Leave for the GSP National today and the last two training sessions Coco has managed every variation of how to do directed jumping wrong. SHe is putting her own spin on it and seriously messing with my head.

Oh well it will be a pleasant surprise if she gets it right on Friday. Wish us luck.

We have been training the house down for the last three weeks, Leave for the GSP National today and the last two training sessions Coco has managed every variation of how to do directed jumping wrong. SHe is putting her own spin on it and seriously messing with my head.

Oh well it will be a pleasant surprise if she gets it right on Friday. Wish us luck.

Good luck Kathq - where are the Nationals??

Reporting back in on the 'Sit close' problem - we're doing really well and hopefully by the time the trial comes we'll be good.

Problem: I have moved my hands from my stomach to my chest area (above boobs) as one person pointed out that my hands on my stomach were not a good position for a Dane - I moved them and they were right - we got better results - HOWEVER at training last night my instructor is worried what Judges will think of this hand position and wants me to practice having my hands by my side in the recall and spitting the food to him instead of having my hands on my chest.

What are your thoughts about the technical issues of where your hands are for the recall?

Huski sorry to hear about your run in with the other dog :laugh:

I have started doing more training with Mason again now that he doesnt have to be at the vet every 5 seconds :laugh: I have had some success with my sit stays lately, I am starting to think out the box and use some creative ideas :)

Yep I agree with your instructor. Take your hands out of the picture and teach him to find front. Have a look at some American obedience on youtube and you'll see that they have to have their hands at their sides. In some ways I think it may become clearer to the dog.

Reporting back in on the 'Sit close' problem - we're doing really well and hopefully by the time the trial comes we'll be good.

Problem: I have moved my hands from my stomach to my chest area (above boobs) as one person pointed out that my hands on my stomach were not a good position for a Dane - I moved them and they were right - we got better results - HOWEVER at training last night my instructor is worried what Judges will think of this hand position and wants me to practice having my hands by my side in the recall and spitting the food to him instead of having my hands on my chest.

What are your thoughts about the technical issues of where your hands are for the recall?

Yep I agree with your instructor. Take your hands out of the picture and teach him to find front. Have a look at some American obedience on youtube and you'll see that they have to have their hands at their sides. In some ways I think it may become clearer to the dog.

Ok pookey! I'm just worried changing things so close to our first trial - but I guess anything can happen on the day can't it!

Ok pookey! I'm just worried changing things so close to our first trial - but I guess anything can happen on the day can't it!

Good luck! It's always a bit nerve wracking trialling for the first time! Even if it's just with a new dog! In the back of my mind, I was SURE that Abby was going to provide some entertainment for on-lookers on the weekend even though I knew we had done the work! But thankfully she proved me wrong! :)

Good luck! It's always a bit nerve wracking trialling for the first time! Even if it's just with a new dog! In the back of my mind, I was SURE that Abby was going to provide some entertainment for on-lookers on the weekend even though I knew we had done the work! But thankfully she proved me wrong! :)

I went and watched a trial in the weekend and I felt for some of them as their dogs were clearly doing stuff they hadn't expected.

I had taken Dante to get used to the environment and we ended up having to move him away (we were about 5 metres from the ring) as 2 dogs during their heeling pattern stopped and stared at Dante who was just standing there - see, he's a freak show even to other dogs :laugh:

Edited by sas

Huski sorry to hear about your run in with the other dog ;)

I have started doing more training with Mason again now that he doesnt have to be at the vet every 5 seconds :laugh: I have had some success with my sit stays lately, I am starting to think out the box and use some creative ideas :laugh:

Well are you going to share your creative ideas with us? :eek: I have a dog who still thinks sitting is optional on occasion, as long as she doesn't move off the spot :)

I went and watched a trial in the weekend and I felt for some of them as their dogs were clearly doing stuff they hadn't expected.

I had taken Dante to get used to the environment and we ended up having to move him away (we were about 5 metres from the ring) as 2 dogs during their heeling pattern stopped and stared at Dante who was just standing there - see, he's a freak show even to other dogs :laugh:

:laugh: so it WAS you! I said to Shell that I thought the Dane watching mustve been Dante! I should've cone and said hello!