Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

:dancingelephant: yes I know he is bigger. Actually on the sitting where it benefits him that Steve said I was actually also going to mention something about eye contact. I know little dogs tend to want to sit out to make eye contact and I also know if I focus on where I want the dog rather than them as they are coming in they will tend to come in closer. Not sure if it might be worth something considering even for a larger dog.

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

K9: He is sitting where it benefits him, he can see your treat hand there too... The steps I mentioned will work, but I would also be doing something with the reward delivery, you could just be simple and drop treats from your mouth so he needs to be right against you to win...

Or you can start the targetting and also go to remote rewards...

Ok dookey, I shall try! I did treats from the mouth when he was a pup so hopefully that will bring him in closer however knowing him I think I may have more chance with the targeting.

K9: Yeah the treats in the mouth is like luring, so you can condition the position including lifting his head up too, which will help his position too, but targetting often generates a bit more drive but with some less formalised positions, so play with both, the disc around your neck can really help if your good with your timing. :dancingelephant:

K9: Oh man I love that show!!!! Those big red balls crack me up!

Mine is from the software I use to edit pics and get screen captures for our Distance Packages, makes it easy to point out things that need attention...

Edited by K9Pro

LOL, now I'm picturing Steve giggling about big red balls :dancingelephant:

I had to google what Wipe Out was, I've never seen it before, must be on the same time as Greys or the David Boreanaz hour Bones or something.

Edited by huski

K9: Oh man I love that show!!!! Those big red balls crack me up!

Mine is from the software I use to edit pics and get screen captures for our Distance Packages, makes it easy to point out things that need attention...

:dancingelephant:

Ok, well I've give the targeting some work over the next week and see how we go in the initial stages.

We've been working on a flip finish to compliment his standard go around behind finish so every time I call him in now he's not coming in straight for the front position....it's either one thing or another with dogs isn't it! :dancingelephant:

Edited by sas

The big red lines and arrows to point out how wide my dog is heeling also helps :dancingelephant:

We've been working on a flip finish to compliment his standard go around behind finish so every time I call him in now he's not coming in straight for the front position....it's either one thing or another with dogs isn't it! :dancingelephant:

Sas I would love to see a vid of his flip finish if you have one, it's always awesome seeing the big dogs doing them :dancingelephant:

Sas I would love to see a vid of his flip finish if you have one, it's always awesome seeing the big dogs doing them :dancingelephant:

Here ya go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4eahJDQBE0

I'm still using the foot target at the moment as he gets confused without it during the early stages.

Excuse the exagerated "Heel" signal - he was getting confused between the 2.

Edited by sas

Hey K9 pro, while your around, I was looking at your training in drive courses and was thinking that maybe you tell me if it would help with him, on my YouTube channel are vids of him at trials, you can see the difference in attitude/speed.

This one is really for amypie and ptolomy but I thought I would put it up for anyone who wants to have some constructive critisicm. :dancingelephant: It's because last weekend at the agility trial Toby was all edgy and not willing to jump and I was like "he's not like this at home" so the next day I decided I needed a little proof that he's really not like that at home so I made this little video of us training. :dancingelephant:

Here is the link to the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NNpIcy3F9w

I have a trial tomorrow and if he could have the raring to go attitude that he has in this video in the ring that would be better then any quallie or first place for me. But I am not holding out to much hope because I think his attitude is 99% coming from my nerves which aren't going to be any better especially with my family coming to watch! :dancingelephant:

The big red lines and arrows to point out how wide my dog is heeling also helps :)

Wow all this new technology Steve!!! I didn't get any of this when I did the TID program with Ella! I feel like I missed out on something! Although Ella is perfect, we probably didn't need red lines and dots! :thumbsup::)

ROFL screen stills make analysing training footage fun but it still does nothing for the OMG did I really reward that when you watch them back on video :thumbsup:.

And Bec yeah they are great for looking at heel position although I did my head in yesterday on a video with cropping out 14 stills and comparing them.

Although bloody BC for you we went out to train before and she just decides she knows what you want to the point where you get the tug back and she just sets herself up again correctly waiting for the reward again - think she is getting a little too clever.

Edited by ness

Sas don't talk to me about dogs not coming straight into the front position - still have a UD dog free to any home that will take her for deciding that seekbacks must be presented to a position somewhere more resembling heel then front but what gets me is its only an issue in trials and she has never pulled it on a retrieve of any other description :thumbsup: . Not an article, not on a recall, not on a dumbbell retrieve, not on a glove retrieve. Think she is messing with me.

Edited by ness