Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

You can laugh at me trying to do some retrieving with Ruby. And at Millie too if she has a repeat of last week at training - she thought running off to do her own thing rather than bring the dumbell back was more exciting. I showed her something more exciting - the inside of my car with the door shut ;)

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You can laugh at me trying to do some retrieving with Ruby. And at Millie too if she has a repeat of last week at training - she thought running off to do her own thing rather than bring the dumbell back was more exciting. I showed her something more exciting - the inside of my car with the door shut :rofl:

Sounds like a deal. :mad The sad thing is Toby does usually think being inside the car with the door shut is more exciting then training on cold nights! ;)

Mean bitch!!!! :cry:

You can laugh at me trying to do some retrieving with Ruby. And at Millie too if she has a repeat of last week at training - she thought running off to do her own thing rather than bring the dumbell back was more exciting. I showed her something more exciting - the inside of my car with the door shut :D

We had luck with our retrieves tonight! She's been doing them over the jump quite well lately too, not 100% reliable though - sometimes she looks at me confused like 'you want me to do what now?' because she hasn't been watching where I throw the dumbell. Anyway here is a quick vid;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwbCS2_ttpg

And an attempt at doing some distraction work;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUBpWzoUix8

I don't trust Daisy with open containers of food just yet LOL! But just having them there is a major distraction for her. She will spot a container of cooked liver a mile away and will go absolutely nuts insane trying to get to it. We had the platform and dumbell down there as she loves to get on it/pick it up and will sometimes do it from eagerness instead of when I have commanded her to :/ Lots of work to do and you can see scents on the ground is still her number one distraction, she lost it a bit but I got her focus back which was good :cry:

Edited by huski

Nice work Huski :cry:

We had luck with our retrieves tonight! She's been doing them over the jump quite well lately too, not 100% reliable though - sometimes she looks at me confused like 'you want me to do what now?' because she hasn't been watching where I throw the dumbell. Anyway here is a quick vid;

I don't trust Daisy with open containers of food just yet LOL! But just having them there is a major distraction for her. She will spot a container of cooked liver a mile away and will go absolutely nuts insane trying to get to it. We had the platform and dumbell down there as she loves to get on it/pick it up and will sometimes do it from eagerness instead of when I have commanded her to :/ Lots of work to do and you can see scents on the ground is still her number one distraction, she lost it a bit but I got her focus back which was good :D

I don't trust Daisy with open containers of food just yet LOL! But just having them there is a major distraction for her. She will spot a container of cooked liver a mile away and will go absolutely nuts insane trying to get to it. We had the platform and dumbell down there as she loves to get on it/pick it up and will sometimes do it from eagerness instead of when I have commanded her to :/ Lots of work to do and you can see scents on the ground is still her number one distraction, she lost it a bit but I got her focus back which was good :laugh:

Nice distraction work :heart: ...but you didn't reward her at any stage??? :laugh: She tried very hard to maintain focus...I was doing some work with the UD dog last night next to the neighbour's dog and was absolutely shovelling in the food when he chose to focus on me.

Thanks Bedazzled and Caffy :heart:

Caffy I did reward her the video has just cut it out - we did a few short run outs last night and I was rewarding frequently but also when she when she wasn't expecting it (ie not just at the end of the heel pattern/exercise).

...I was doing some work with the UD dog last night next to the neighbour's dog and was absolutely shovelling in the food when he chose to focus on me.

Argh do I smell a come back???? I will let the canteen ladies know :heart:

...I was doing some work with the UD dog last night next to the neighbour's dog and was absolutely shovelling in the food when he chose to focus on me.

Argh do I smell a come back???? I will let the canteen ladies know :heart:

:laugh::laugh:

Nice work huski!!!

Mean bitch!!!! :heart:
You can laugh at me trying to do some retrieving with Ruby. And at Millie too if she has a repeat of last week at training - she thought running off to do her own thing rather than bring the dumbell back was more exciting. I showed her something more exciting - the inside of my car with the door shut :eek:

She did the same thing again last night, so back to baby retrieves on lead so she can't p*ss off on me. She did get thrown back in the car at one stage, and the little cow wriggled out of her collar that had her tied in, and must have gotten to my front seat because when I went to fill up with treats, the container was empty! :laugh: Choc Lab going for freeeeeeee!!!! Any takers? :laugh:

Had another excellent training session this afternoon despite the absolutely howling westerly winds. She is so enjoying her training at the moment. Why do gundogs go nuts in the wind? Silly idiot got so carried away at the training bag when we were finished trying to get her ball for a game she managed to head butt me on the mouth. Looks like I've gone 10 rounds with a heavy weight right now. Dont really care though it doesnt cancel out the great effort she put in in her session.

Hi everyone!

I'm trying to do my hind end awareness with my boys and Louie gets it! :) He's almost round and round and round! Do I put a command to him moving towards me, like 'close'? Or do I do that in another exercise?

Banjo on the other hand gets that he has to stand on the box for treats but I cannot for the life of me lure him into moving his back end... any ideas!?

Depends on whether you want it as a finished behaviour. If so then put the cue on.

For Banjo I would stop luring and start shaping. Arm yourself with a clicker and treats and wait him out. When he makes one tiny movement click and treat. Watch carefully....you are clicking the tiniest movement which he will probably do accidentally out of frustration. He won't know what you cllicked and treated for but he will get it quickly if your timing is good. Once the light bulb is ignited there will be no stopping him....magical!!!!! :D

Hi everyone!

I'm trying to do my hind end awareness with my boys and Louie gets it! :) He's almost round and round and round! Do I put a command to him moving towards me, like 'close'? Or do I do that in another exercise?

Banjo on the other hand gets that he has to stand on the box for treats but I cannot for the life of me lure him into moving his back end... any ideas!?

Depends on whether you want it as a finished behaviour. If so then put the cue on.

For Banjo I would stop luring and start shaping. Arm yourself with a clicker and treats and wait him out. When he makes one tiny movement click and treat. Watch carefully....you are clicking the tiniest movement which he will probably do accidentally out of frustration. He won't know what you cllicked and treated for but he will get it quickly if your timing is good. Once the light bulb is ignited there will be no stopping him....magical!!!!! :)

Hi everyone!

Just a question on Shaping for those who do this a lot. Do you watch your dog or do you look away a bit and watch using your peripherals? The thought crossed my mind as I started shaping this exact thing with Mack last night and the more I watched him the more he just chose to sit there and make eye contact with me! I think I'll need to lure him onto the book as he's just sooo focused on me that he doesn't notice the book! (not that I'm complaining!) :D

Just a question on Shaping for those who do this a lot. Do you watch your dog or do you look away a bit and watch using your peripherals? The thought crossed my mind as I started shaping this exact thing with Mack last night and the more I watched him the more he just chose to sit there and make eye contact with me! I think I'll need to lure him onto the book as he's just sooo focused on me that he doesn't notice the book! (not that I'm complaining!) :)

Seita - I am not sure if you have done any shaping before with Mack or not - but you need to teach the dog to offer behaviours - so arm yourself with a clicker (or your yes word) and treats and start clicking for anything in normal everyday living to begin with, just so he gets the hang of offering you behaviours rather than sitting there watching you.

I have a question about rewarding the wrong behaviour when training.

Akira has been learning "shy" the past week and (like she did with shake when she first learnt it) currently offers shy every time she wants food. This morning I was going through a refresher of "leave it" and I'd give the command and she would leave it, but she'd sit there doing shy in hope that she was about to get the food. Now do I click and treat that, because essentially she has left it alone, or do I wait until she stops moving completely so not to reward her for doing something I haven't asked for?

Whiskedaway, I would be rewarding for the behaviour I want to see - for me that would be all paws on the ground sitting still. I wouldn't be rewarding her for offering behaviour I didn't ask for - JMO :)