Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

Started our hula hoop training :cooldance: . I just love that moment after the first click when the light bulb goes on and they start figuring out what they got clicked for. Sophie surprised me she's usually slow to shape things with but she loves to use her feet so straight away she was pawing at the hoop, Banjo just needs that first click and he's onto it.

Can you video any of it???? Goodonya :) I too love the light bulb moment :happydance:

Oooh yes Tiggy please video :) .

I might video it tomorrow :champagne:

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Started our hula hoop training :) . I just love that moment after the first click when the light bulb goes on and they start figuring out what they got clicked for. Sophie surprised me she's usually slow to shape things with but she loves to use her feet so straight away she was pawing at the hoop, Banjo just needs that first click and he's onto it.

Can you video any of it???? Goodonya :hug: I too love the light bulb moment :rofl:

Oooh yes Tiggy please video :( .

I might video it tomorrow :D

Will be great to watch the video ;) I must buy my hoola hoops tomorrow if i go to the shops

It seems my scent discrimination has falled off the wagon at the moment and I'm just after some advice on how best to get it back. What she's been doing for a while now is on the first article she goes out, picks it up then drops it and after that usually picks it up again and brings it back. By the second and third articles she's usually ok and isn't dropping it anymore. Sometimes she drops it more than once. However since the weekend she's been getting worse on all articles. In her first trial on Saturday she picked up and dropped the article about 5 times before bringing it back, she then had no trouble with the next two other than a bit of mouthing. But in the evening trial on Saturday, she picked up and dropped the first article 2 or 3 times and then grabbed the wrong article which she hasn't done in training in a VERY VERY long time. She then did the same thing on the second article. On the third article she picked it up once or twice before bringing it back but didn't grab a wrong article again.

What I had been doing was just ignoring the picking up and putting down of the articles, passing it off as an inexperienced dog and assuming she'd do it less and less as she got more confident. However in my 2 training sessions since Saturday she's gone back to dropping every article multiple times again which to me seems like she's not confident that she's got it right.

So should I go back to less articles and see if she starts bringing them back without dropping them? Or should I tell her she's got it right as soon as she picks the right one up? Or should I just let her keep picking them up and dropping them and hope she gets it out of her system? One judge has told me to tell her she's got it right when she grabs it, another judge has told me to just let her go and that she'll figure it out eventually. I'm undecided, I'm worried that if I start telling her she's got it right when she picks it up she'll then start waiting for me to tell her she's got it right all the time... and on the other hand if I just let her keep going then it'll be stuck and stay with us forever! :(

Sorry about the longish post!

Seita, any improvement???

Started our hula hoop training :D . I just love that moment after the first click when the light bulb goes on and they start figuring out what they got clicked for. Sophie surprised me she's usually slow to shape things with but she loves to use her feet so straight away she was pawing at the hoop, Banjo just needs that first click and he's onto it.

Can you video any of it???? Goodonya :mad I too love the light bulb moment :wave:

Oooh yes Tiggy please video ;) .

I might video it tomorrow ;)

Sophie video :( . Had to move the training inside today because of the weather and yes I'm wearing my pajamas :grouphug::laugh: .

http://www.youtube.com/user/Tiggy3010#p/a/u/0/gXsNLgBX58Q

Started our hula hoop training :D . I just love that moment after the first click when the light bulb goes on and they start figuring out what they got clicked for. Sophie surprised me she's usually slow to shape things with but she loves to use her feet so straight away she was pawing at the hoop, Banjo just needs that first click and he's onto it.

Can you video any of it???? Goodonya :mad I too love the light bulb moment :wave:

Oooh yes Tiggy please video ;) .

I might video it tomorrow ;)

Sophie video :( . Had to move the training inside today because of the weather and yes I'm wearing my pajamas :grouphug::laugh: .

I was still in my PJ's until about 10 minutes ago, this is dvd weather - I must now drive to Midland to buy Mason some meat ...

Great work from Sophie...

It seems my scent discrimination has falled off the wagon at the moment and I'm just after some advice on how best to get it back. What she's been doing for a while now is on the first article she goes out, picks it up then drops it and after that usually picks it up again and brings it back. By the second and third articles she's usually ok and isn't dropping it anymore. Sometimes she drops it more than once. However since the weekend she's been getting worse on all articles. In her first trial on Saturday she picked up and dropped the article about 5 times before bringing it back, she then had no trouble with the next two other than a bit of mouthing. But in the evening trial on Saturday, she picked up and dropped the first article 2 or 3 times and then grabbed the wrong article which she hasn't done in training in a VERY VERY long time. She then did the same thing on the second article. On the third article she picked it up once or twice before bringing it back but didn't grab a wrong article again.

What I had been doing was just ignoring the picking up and putting down of the articles, passing it off as an inexperienced dog and assuming she'd do it less and less as she got more confident. However in my 2 training sessions since Saturday she's gone back to dropping every article multiple times again which to me seems like she's not confident that she's got it right.

So should I go back to less articles and see if she starts bringing them back without dropping them? Or should I tell her she's got it right as soon as she picks the right one up? Or should I just let her keep picking them up and dropping them and hope she gets it out of her system? One judge has told me to tell her she's got it right when she grabs it, another judge has told me to just let her go and that she'll figure it out eventually. I'm undecided, I'm worried that if I start telling her she's got it right when she picks it up she'll then start waiting for me to tell her she's got it right all the time... and on the other hand if I just let her keep going then it'll be stuck and stay with us forever! :laugh:

Sorry about the longish post!

Seita, any improvement???

Not really. I did some work with her the other night with only 2 articles out, when the metal was the scented one she had no trouble and I was able to get her back up to confidently doing a full set. But when I put 2 wood or 2 leather out she just started grabbing at whatever she saw first. So I've left it for a few days and will try again with her next week.

Sophie video :eek: . Had to move the training inside today because of the weather and yes I'm wearing my pajamas :):eek: .

Nice jarmies Tiggy :rofl:

I watched your video and I remember now - to begin with when I threw the food as a reward I would move myself so the the hoop was between me and dog and they basically had to run through to hoop to get to me - that made it easier for me to click interaction with the hoop. It wasn't very long before the dog worked out what they were being clicked for.

Sophie video :eek: . Had to move the training inside today because of the weather and yes I'm wearing my pajamas :):eek: .

Nice jarmies Tiggy :rofl:

I watched your video and I remember now - to begin with when I threw the food as a reward I would move myself so the the hoop was between me and dog and they basically had to run through to hoop to get to me - that made it easier for me to click interaction with the hoop. It wasn't very long before the dog worked out what they were being clicked for.

Good idea :rofl:

Seita - snatch and grab mode is a BC thing which they resort to when they are confused.

Got any suggestions to help stop it again? She was doing so well on articles until last weekend when it all fell apart. I just did a really short session with 2 leathers and a couple of cans on the lounge room floor and she was using her nose most of the time but still did some grabbing. I tried to remove the cans but she resorted back to snatching immediately. Hopefully she remembers what she's supposed to do soon!

Seita - snatch and grab mode is a BC thing which they resort to when they are confused.

Got any suggestions to help stop it again? She was doing so well on articles until last weekend when it all fell apart. I just did a really short session with 2 leathers and a couple of cans on the lounge room floor and she was using her nose most of the time but still did some grabbing. I tried to remove the cans but she resorted back to snatching immediately. Hopefully she remembers what she's supposed to do soon!

Are you saying anything for correct or incorrect article?

Did you verbally indicate the correct article when you initially taught SD?

How did you teach SD??

I would go back to basics - start with 3 metal and work up to 5 - then remove all and start with 2 woods and work up to 5 Then mix wood and metals and work up to 10 articles. Rewarding heavility when she got it right. I wouldn't always ask for a present - sometimes after she picked up the correct article, I would run off and play tug, or play the 2 food game

The other thing I vaguely remembered doing was playing a game where I would do 1 scent article and then do some heelwork and reward, then another scent article, some heelwork and reward, then another article, a box and reward

Having said all this do you ever reward with food - or does she prefer a tug????

Edited by Ptolomy

Are you saying anything for correct or incorrect article?

Did you verbally indicate the correct article when you initially taught SD?

How did you teach SD??

Used the dogscouts methods and verbally marked the right article with a "yes". I still occasionally in training mark an article when she's picked it up and let her have the reward just to keep it random for her. I give her a NRM if she gets it wrong.

Used the dogscouts methods and verbally marked the right article with a "yes". I still occasionally in training mark an article when she's picked it up and let her have the reward just to keep it random for her. I give her a NRM if she gets it wrong.

Seita - where exactly did you put the "yes" as she was picking it up perhaps????

Seita - where exactly did you put the "yes" as she was picking it up perhaps????

when I was training it I would mark right article as soon as she indicated it, as she got better at it I'd wait til she'd picked it up.

when I was training it I would mark right article as soon as she indicated it, as she got better at it I'd wait til she'd picked it up.

and I think this is where your problem originated as she has become unsure she is waiting for you to indicate yes that is the correct article hence why even when she finds the correct one she will pick it up and put it down and move onto the rest of the pack.

You really need to go back to basics as if she doesn't know the exercise at all, but you should be able to build it up quite quickly, once she has learnt to find the article herself without your help and to trust her judgement. If you want to give her feedback make sure it is in different spots on her way back or when she has presented, or even after you have taken the article.

9 more days and counting before my new little man Strauss arrives in Perth and news from Norway is that today he went for his first real swim where no feet were on the ground. He went on his first bus ride where he met an old man with wheels attached - which I can only imagine is a walking frame. I have to say that this little dog has been so well socialized having been to the gold club, on buses and trains, to schools and shopping centres, to the beach - they obviously don't have the restrictions we have here in oz. :laugh: