Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

Hey valleyCBR are you going training on Thursday :hug: ? I'm going - they're doing a Rally demo yay :rofl: .

Hmmm I really want to but Linky is in show mode so I may just bring Toby.. and Glee fianlie is on... but I want to support rally... I don't know. :laugh:

Record Glee :rofl: . I just hope it's not too wet - I don't train in the rain :laugh: .

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey valleyCBR are you going training on Thursday :D ? I'm going - they're doing a Rally demo yay :dropjaw: .

Hmmm I really want to but Linky is in show mode so I may just bring Toby.. and Glee fianlie is on... but I want to support rally... I don't know. :love:

Record Glee :o . I just hope it's not too wet - I don't train in the rain :rofl: .

I also dont like to train in the rain...

Hey valleyCBR are you going training on Thursday :love: ? I'm going - they're doing a Rally demo yay :dropjaw: .

Hmmm I really want to but Linky is in show mode so I may just bring Toby.. and Glee fianlie is on... but I want to support rally... I don't know. :rofl:

I would like to see the Rally demo myself...

MM I can ask on my Eden Hill list if non members can come down to see the demo and hear about Rally if you like?

I guess I will have to come now thats the clubs making a big deal of it, especially being one of the members who came to the seminar.

MM I can ask on my Eden Hill list if non members can come down to see the demo and hear about Rally if you like?

I guess I will have to come now thats the clubs making a big deal of it, especially being one of the members who came to the seminar.

Yes I think you have to come :dropjaw:

The weather forecast is saying heavy rain for tomorrow so you might be staying home to watch Glee after all

Edited by Tiggy

Ptolomy I bought my hula hoop today now what do I do with it :rofl: . I was thinking I'd shape it but maybe will need to lure at first, I try to avoid luring but might need to for starting this. So once they understand to get into the hoop then what? Send them from further away, do you ask them to sit in there, and do you have a word for it? :rofl:

Ptolomy I bought my hula hoop today now what do I do with it :rofl: . I was thinking I'd shape it but maybe will need to lure at first, I try to avoid luring but might need to for starting this. So once they understand to get into the hoop then what? Send them from further away, do you ask them to sit in there, and do you have a word for it? :rofl:

Put a dinner plate in the middle and you can practice some Rally turns hey RS? :rofl:

Tiggy - my kids were pretty good at offering behaviours - so I put the hula hoop on the ground and clicked and treated as they walked up to have a look. I usually threw the food away from the hoop on the ground so it became very obvious they they were being rewarded for interaction with the hoop. I then rewarded for 2 feet in the hoop, then three feet then all 4 feet in the hoop - each time I would throw the food behind me or away from the hoop so they would have to get out of the hoop to get the reward. I then started putting a verbal sit for when all 4 feet were in the hoop and I would then reward this in position. From there I gradually increased the distance they were going to the hoop - until it was the full length of the driveway.

I always ended the session with them wanting more.

Huski

I use a hand signal and voice for stay/wait. And I depend a fair bit on context - are we lined up in front of the start of an agility course? And tone of voice is pretty important. Nice slow deep "stay" not a high exciting squeaky "heel".

My dog has managed to confuse signals for stand, stay and drop - obviously I'm not making them different enough or consistent enough. So I try to be careful which hand I use, where I put it and whether the signal has an arc to it (ie from the elbow). And given I practice with her on either side, I try to remember to lead off from a stay with the leg furtherest away from her, but she's pretty forgiving about that.

PS some of the videos I watch - I can't tell how the dog knows that this hand flick means stay and that one means drop.

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket

Tiggy - my kids were pretty good at offering behaviours - so I put the hula hoop on the ground and clicked and treated as they walked up to have a look. I usually threw the food away from the hoop on the ground so it became very obvious they they were being rewarded for interaction with the hoop. I then rewarded for 2 feet in the hoop, then three feet then all 4 feet in the hoop - each time I would throw the food behind me or away from the hoop so they would have to get out of the hoop to get the reward. I then started putting a verbal sit for when all 4 feet were in the hoop and I would then reward this in position. From there I gradually increased the distance they were going to the hoop - until it was the full length of the driveway.

I always ended the session with them wanting more.

Thanks Ptolomy I'll start tomorrow.

Put a dinner plate in the middle and you can practice some Rally turns hey RS? :laugh:

Please explain :rofl:

I was so proud of my child tonight, he passed the agility assessment and did not run off once tonight to greet other dogs :thumbsup:

BIG Congratulations Mas1981. So when does agility training start???

I was so proud of my child tonight, he passed the agility assessment and did not run off once tonight to greet other dogs :thumbsup:

BIG Congratulations Mas1981. So when does agility training start???

It started last night, we joined the class after assessment :o we learnt rear crosses, forward crosses, running recall ( these are probably not what the exercises are called as I dont know their proper names). It was a lot of fun, we will get to go on the equipment next week.

Sounds great Mas!

Soaks has been given the all clear! Her pad is healing and she's allowed to do.... wait for it... ZOOMIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So long as she's wearing a boot. She is thrilled! The stitches are out and we're allowed to slowly build her back up.

Started our hula hoop training :thumbsup: . I just love that moment after the first click when the light bulb goes on and they start figuring out what they got clicked for. Sophie surprised me she's usually slow to shape things with but she loves to use her feet so straight away she was pawing at the hoop, Banjo just needs that first click and he's onto it.

Started our hula hoop training :D . I just love that moment after the first click when the light bulb goes on and they start figuring out what they got clicked for. Sophie surprised me she's usually slow to shape things with but she loves to use her feet so straight away she was pawing at the hoop, Banjo just needs that first click and he's onto it.

Can you video any of it???? Goodonya :thumbsup: I too love the light bulb moment :o

I did some scent with the girls last night. Millie is like a psycho puppy on speed - she bounces out, paws flying like a puppy does when it's playing, and still managed to bring back the correct article every time in the full set :o I forgot she can't present yet, and stood there waiting for her to bring the article back. And what does she do, brings it up and sits with it in front of me! :D Presents with both girls needs work, though.

I then took away the heavily scented article and scented one of the others I use, and whacked it out with a couple other unscented. Both girls nailed the freshly scented article :thumbsup:

I need to start taking this "on the road" as they aren't as reliable away from home.

Edited by RubyStar