Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

Its interesting watching the rounds from other states. When I went to Brisbane for the obedience Nationals a couple of years ago I couldn't believe that you would get every position in every pace in CCD :rofl: . In fact the CCD and novice rounds were harder than the open round :rofl:

Watching huski's rounds from today her heeling round lasted longer than the signals round in UD.

Hmm - makes me think I have a long way to go with Soggybear!

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It seems to be a real mixed bag here Ptolomy. Some of the CCD rounds (and Novice) rounds have been longer then some of the open patterns whereas others are the opposite. Guess it just depends who is the judge. I am so glad all our judges stick their figure 8's at the end of the heel patterns though.

Yep agree with what Ptolomy said and I'll post it here too - you and Daisy have both come a very long way huski and should be very proud of her performance. Congratulations and hopefully a pass isn't to far around the corner.

Awww thanks Ness, that's so lovely of you to say.

We have definitely come a long way, I am very happy with her, and my handling is ever so slowly improving (it was still pretty atrocious today LOL).

Its interesting watching the rounds from other states. When I went to Brisbane for the obedience Nationals a couple of years ago I couldn't believe that you would get every position in every pace in CCD :rofl: . In fact the CCD and novice rounds were harder than the open round :rofl:

Watching huski's rounds from today her heeling round lasted longer than the signals round in UD.

LOL at least that might make it a bit easier for us if we ever trial in another state :rofl: :rofl:

Ness a few judges here do the Figure 8 at the start of the heeling pattern.

Yep we had a figure 8 at the start of a heel pattern at the Royal last year. Certainly kept it interesting but we do very much get use to what we see week in week out. With Ness its not a real hassle when they have a figure 8 but I suspect with Kenz I'll very much appreciate it being at the end although hopefully we have totally ironed out her issues by then and it will be a non event anyway.

Grrr DOL gremlins with double posts. I went out and did some agility training this afternoon. It was a bit of a disaster maybe I should stick with obedience :rofl: .

Edited by ness

My older kids love the figure 8 at the start of heeling - I think thats because they are anticipating their jackpot and I usually find if we have to go off and do the rest of the heel routine its usually extra nice.

Most of our judges do the figure 8 at the end.

One of our UD judges does a seeback the "weird" way as Ness called it - so you end up back at the end of the ring you started with. This judge will also do some more heeling after the signals bit in signals.

We did have one judge come over for the Western Classic who did a DOR and I counted to 12 before he said call your dog - that brought a few dogs undone.

:rofl: Ptolomy - only one judge here in SA has ever done the other sort of seekback and I think there were so many comments by the competitors they haven't dared do it again :rofl: .

Huski - did you put Daisy in the Ekka this year?

God no :rofl::rofl: I wanted to but I wasn't sure she was ready, hopefully next year!

I think the Ekka only has from Novice anyway - and I definitely don't think she could do an extra minute on her down stays at the moment :rofl:

Edited by huski

Perch work is a good way to start shaping. I shaped him getting on the perch although you can lure it if you like. From there you can shape him to take one step sideway still keeping his front feet on the perch. Click and treat the one step, pretty soon you will get two and four steps until you get what you want. I shaped a full circle anticlock wise...the biggest hurdle was for him to keep his bum swinging between me and the perch. I was bored the other day so thought I'd shape it the other way...clockwise. Boy did that blow his little brain!!!!!! I eventually got one step in the other direction and then two...big party! We are now at that sticky point of pushing it further so I've let it rest for latent learning to do its magic and then I'll have another go tomorrow. Here's a link to Celete Mead's brick work.

Hi everyone!

Sounds like we're all progressing nicely - well done on everyone's results (I can't remember them individually, and my internet is too slow to look back at them!)

Bit of an update on my pups: Louie's heel work (our real weakness) is coming along soooo well! I've been playing the 2 food game and even got nice left turns (out worst worst worst!) tonight in the back yard! Banjo is coming along really nicely - he also lags slightly occasionally but if I get his energy up he does really well.

I've heard a bit of teaching hind end awareness to the dogs - how is it done? All I know is that you put them on a phone book and get them to go in circles... do you lure the turning? do you put a command to it? Thanks in advance!

Perch work is a good way to start shaping. I shaped him getting on the perch although you can lure it if you like. From there you can shape him to take one step sideway still keeping his front feet on the perch. Click and treat the one step, pretty soon you will get two and four steps until you get what you want. I shaped a full circle anticlock wise...the biggest hurdle was for him to keep his bum swinging between me and the perch. I was bored the other day so thought I'd shape it the other way...clockwise. Boy did that blow his little brain!!!!!! I eventually got one step in the other direction and then two...big party! We are now at that sticky point of pushing it further so I've let it rest for latent learning to do its magic and then I'll have another go tomorrow. Here's a link to Celete Mead's brick work.

I shaped it to :laugh: . Banjo is up to half circles anti-clockwise but clockwise is much harder for him. Sophie is taking longer she can only do 1 step so far.

I thought someone might be interested in this book I have for sale in the member market place :laugh: . It's an obedience book about bridging the gap between training and competition.

Building A Bridge from Training to Testing

Marsha Smith & Shalini Bosbyshell

Will throw in Compete in Joy by Patty Ruzzo and Anne Hassett with this one

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=199918

Edited by Tiggy

I thought someone might be interested in this book I have for sale in the member market place :laugh: . It's an obedience book about bridging the gap between training and competition.

What are u asking for it Tiggy?

What are u asking for it Tiggy?

$20 including postage

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=199918

Edited by Tiggy

Naughty Beagle!!!!!!! I vote for stays to be thrown out, they are useless and cause us to lose some nice quallies :) So glad to hear that her ringwork was lovely, so lots of positives yay :laugh: :D

Well done Kath, sounds like Coco is coming along well!

And here's the video from the AM trial. I had to cut out the seekback as it took 5 minutes and I can't upload anything bigger than 10 minutes to youtube!

Seita - do you end up with bruises from where she bangs into you on a present. Is this something new or has she always done it?

BM is a lovely judge :-)

No bruises, she doesn't hit that hard but yes it is a new thing. She's only started it in the last 2 weeks about the same time she started dropping in the box instead of sitting. She used to slam into my legs on recalls when we first started trialling but hasn't done it in ages. I've got a bit of work to do on both sending to box and the way she presents back to me after the jump!

I love Barbara too! She's a really nice judge. I walked into the ring last night and she goes "Hi I haven't seen you in the ring in ages!" and then at the end says she hoped to see me in the ring more often. I've only trialled under her once or twice before!!

And here's the video from the AM trial. I had to cut out the seekback as it took 5 minutes and I can't upload anything bigger than 10 minutes to youtube!

Seita - do you end up with bruises from where she bangs into you on a present. Is this something new or has she always done it?

BM is a lovely judge :-)

No bruises, she doesn't hit that hard but yes it is a new thing. She's only started it in the last 2 weeks about the same time she started dropping in the box instead of sitting. She used to slam into my legs on recalls when we first started trialling but hasn't done it in ages. I've got a bit of work to do on both sending to box and the way she presents back to me after the jump!

I love Barbara too! She's a really nice judge. I walked into the ring last night and she goes "Hi I haven't seen you in the ring in ages!" and then at the end says she hoped to see me in the ring more often. I've only trialled under her once or twice before!!

Is the banging into you stress related???

Have a look at your first send to the box signal on the first clip you posted she goes in exactly the direction you pointed :laugh:

Its interesting watching the rounds from other states. When I went to Brisbane for the obedience Nationals a couple of years ago I couldn't believe that you would get every position in every pace in CCD :laugh: . In fact the CCD and novice rounds were harder than the open round :)

I just watched Daisy's round and was going to make a similar comment about how looooong their rounds are! At the 2009 Western Classic when we had a QLD judge for CCD, my heel pattern was really long and all these turns in fast pace :D Then Ruby's novice round at the Nationals with a VIC judge, her fast pace was just a very short straight bit at the very end with NO positions, so less tough than a CCD round!

I would have expected you only start getting all paces and all positions and turns in Open, at least in WA?