Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tiggy I am not sure, maybe we could find somewhere halfway between you and me, any ideas? I train Mason at the park over the road from me mostly, I only work 3 mornings a week at the moment so I am sure we could fit it in, I will be going to agility from next week on a wednesday night if we pass the assessment.

Ptolomy I am having a 'special lesson' tomorrow lol :(

How did the agility assessment go? :)

Tiggy I am not sure, maybe we could find somewhere halfway between you and me, any ideas? I train Mason at the park over the road from me mostly, I only work 3 mornings a week at the moment so I am sure we could fit it in, I will be going to agility from next week on a wednesday night if we pass the assessment.

Ptolomy I am having a 'special lesson' tomorrow lol :rofl:

How did the agility assessment go? :rofl:

Its only on wed evening :rofl:

Huski i know all about stays, Mason cant do a sit stay to save his life at the moment, he lies down

OK hands up those who want to get rid of down stays as well as sit stays - stupid exercises :rofl:

Huski - how far into the down stay did she break yesterday and today?? Glad to hear you have picked positives out of what happened and dare I ask do you have a plan for working on those down stays?

:rofl: That evil beagle! Argh! Fourth time lucky?

Sounds like she had a great round before that pesky down stay!

Highest scoring Metro member, that's awesome! Go Beagle! When's the next one?

In going back to my "flat" comment from last weekends trial, I did a session with Darcy today (our first since the trial thanks to late nights and crap weather! :rofl: ) and I've confirmed something that I thought was happening - she's lagging slightly in the ring compared to training.

Unfortunately it takes her just out of my line of sight behind my elbow which I hate because I can't tell how far she is behind me. Obviously she's sticking that position but it's not a position I'm at all happy with given I can't see her.

It starts off the startline so we did some work on that today, just one step and making sure she stayed focussed and then click and reward. I'm still dealing with the poisoned cue of "heel" but I don't know whether I'd get away with solely footwork and a hand cue in the short term.

Any more suggestions for fixing it? I don't want to get too involved with anything given we have a double back to back next weekend. :rofl: Long term I think I need a new heel cue - any suggestions? :rofl:

Edited by Jess.

Bugger about the stay huski but sounds like you got some lovely work happening :rofl: . Well done. Hope there is video.

Thanks Ness - uploading vid now :rofl:

Awesome news Huski; you must be so so pleased, it's a shame she broke the stay but that is so fixable! :rofl:

Thanks, I am really pleased with her especially as it is the best work we've done at a trial (we only started trialling two weeks ago) :rofl:

Huski i know all about stays, Mason cant do a sit stay to save his life at the moment, he lies down

Luckily Daisy's sits are really solid - she scored full marks for them in all the trials we've done. It's just that bloody down!!

Huski - how far into the down stay did she break yesterday and today?? Glad to hear you have picked positives out of what happened and dare I ask do you have a plan for working on those down stays?

Ptolomy, she lasted about 1 minute 30 last night and probably just over a minute today. Must be that minute mark!

Happy to hear any suggestions for training down stays... might go back to basics, we won't have another trial till August most likely so have loads of time to work on it and get it really solid before entering the ring again.

:rofl: That evil beagle! Argh! Fourth time lucky?

Sounds like she had a great round before that pesky down stay!

Highest scoring Metro member, that's awesome! Go Beagle! When's the next one?

She's such a bugger!!

There aren't many more trials in July so probably nothing till next month :rofl:

Hi everyone!

Sounds like we're all progressing nicely - well done on everyone's results (I can't remember them individually, and my internet is too slow to look back at them!)

Bit of an update on my pups: Louie's heel work (our real weakness) is coming along soooo well! I've been playing the 2 food game and even got nice left turns (out worst worst worst!) tonight in the back yard! Banjo is coming along really nicely - he also lags slightly occasionally but if I get his energy up he does really well.

I've heard a bit of teaching hind end awareness to the dogs - how is it done? All I know is that you put them on a phone book and get them to go in circles... do you lure the turning? do you put a command to it? Thanks in advance!

And here's the video from the AM trial. I had to cut out the seekback as it took 5 minutes and I can't upload anything bigger than 10 minutes to youtube!

Seita - do you end up with bruises from where she bangs into you on a present. Is this something new or has she always done it?

BM is a lovely judge :-)

Edited by Ptolomy

I vote that all the stays go at the moment, I have not done any down stays lately as Mason is confused with the sit stays, he thinks he must lie down for them so I am going to get the sit stay right before I even attempt down stays again. I am working on a plan for his sit stays though, it involves bribery with a roo bone :rofl:

Here's the vid from today's trial for anyone who is interested - not our best work but definitely our best work in the trials we've done so far!

And here's the Evil Beagle with her first ever trophy and sash :rofl:

DaisyMetroTrial.jpg

ETA: our scores were 23/30 for heelwork; 8/10 for SFE and 20/20 for recall (amazing as I think she came in really crooked!) and 20/20 for the sit and of course 0/20 for down stay :rofl:

Edited by huski

Here's the vid from today's trial for anyone who is interested - not our best work but definitely our best work in the trials we've done so far!

And here's the Evil Beagle with her first ever trophy and sash :rofl:

DaisyMetroTrial.jpg

Aww come on, how could a face like that be called evil????

Look at Daisy's tail go :rofl: You should be really pleased with this :rofl:

Yep agree with what Ptolomy said and I'll post it here too - you and Daisy have both come a very long way huski and should be very proud of her performance. Congratulations and hopefully a pass isn't to far around the corner.

Aww come on, how could a face like that be called evil????

LOL blowing two quallies and a first place within two days is a perfect example :mad:rofl: :rofl:

Thanks :rofl: It's pretty average work from the both of us (when I know Daisy is capable of much better work) but it is the best we've done at a trial so far so I am super proud of her :rofl: After last night I suspected she would blow her down stay today as there's obviously a problem there so all I wanted from this morning was to go into stays on a good quallie and that's what we did ;)

We got some lovely comments after our run out today (and even some last night) so I am very pleased with her as we are both such trialling newbies!

ETA: I was SO happy she passed her SFE - we don't have much if any opportunity to have men practice one for us, so I was a bit nervous trialling under a male judge for the first time... but she was fine :rofl:

Edited by huski

I agree her tail wag is awesome!!

Edited to say that you have come a long way and have a lot of determination, could you post some of it here to me please?? lol.

Edited by Mas1981