Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

I wish I could train with you guys at Canine , maybe I should make the hike I think it would be worth it, that's if you don't mind me joining you :) .

I don't mind if you join me, I do my own stuff anyway. It's just sometimes nice to work near others who are doing the same thing, it not only gets you out of the house to train but it is good distraction training. Then you've also got dogs to do stays with :o

Was just wondering if any of you take a break in training your dogs? I am finding that we have hit a spot where we are both frustrating one another and I was thinking of maybe taking a week or so's break from training and then getting back into it?

Mine get the summer break, too. Mainly just cos it's usually too damn hot to do anything :) Plus I don't do something formal with the girls every single day (which I should, even if it's 5 mins, but I do most days).

I have to say training with somebody else really helps with motivation :D

Hell yes!! I've been training on my own (obedience at least) for a bit now but it is really nice when I do get the company!

:

Hey different topic does Sue H only compete in agility now?

Unfortunately yes :) , although she does some obedience training with all of them, but just doesn't compete.

I agree with the ;) Not sure why though when she is absolutely fantastic at anything she does!

obedience comp techniques, strategies or rules?

Figure eight - when you enter does it matter if you go around the left or the right person first? I was told, go around the person that takes your dog on the inside of you with you on the outside. Is this a rule or just a strategy? I imagine if your dog is a bit nervous of new people or too friendly it might work better if you go the other way.

And when you go out, do you go on whatever trajectory you're on or does it always need to be at right angles to the line made by the people/cones defining the figure 8

Also when you do a recall, when do you "return to your dog" ie the dog sits still while you walk around the dog to get back to the heel position, and when do you ask the dog to "finish" ie it returns to the heel position while you stand still. I think each method would result in you facing the opposite direction so it might matter to a judge who doesn't want to crash you into the boundary.

No rule about which side you turn into first in the figure 8. I choose to take my dog on the inside first, because if she is having a away with the fairies moment, I am more likely to lose her on my outside. If I have her on the inside, she hasn't got much choice about where to go (except maybe jumping on the figure 8 post which has happened on more than one occasion! But would happen regardless of what side we start on).

Not sure if your recall question was a question or a statement? You return to your dog in CCD, then all other classes they must finish (return to you), those are the rules and not optional.

Edited by RubyStar

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tah for the answers.

I've also noticed different techqies for some of the about turns. There's one where the handler turns in the opposite direction to the dog and passes the lead behind their back, which even when I play back in slo mo, I can't wrap my head around. I find it easier to do left about turn and encourage dog to move her butt around.

And the difference between CDD end the recall and the other classes would explain why our instructors don't like to teach "finish" any more in case the dog anticipates. So I mix it up which way I end, having taught her finish in grade 1. we end up doing a lot of doggy circle work if she finishes too far ahead of my leg (when she's anticipating food). No food for dogs out of position, though I do feed her on some recalls when she's in front of me. And for agility there's no rules about where she needs to be to get the treat because it's not for being in the right spot.

Tah for the answers.

I've also noticed different techqies for some of the about turns. There's one where the handler turns in the opposite direction to the dog and passes the lead behind their back, which even when I play back in slo mo, I can't wrap my head around. I find it easier to do left about turn and encourage dog to move her butt around.

Either is acceptable. Just do whatever you are most comfortable with.

Quick question.

I'm about to do some food refusal work with my young one. He's done it before but this time it's with BACON. So should I chop up some bacon to reward him with it? and give it to him from my pouch? or give him some bacon from the original bacon that's on the floor (on a plate :))

I personally wouldn't reward with the same food you asked to leave, it could get confusing for the dog "can I have it, can't I?" Say I accidentally drop food on the floor, if the dog leaves the food, I always reward with something else and pick that first lot up. But I'm not teaching a formal food refusal, so others might have a better idea!

Edited by RubyStar

figure 8 - your choice. If my dog is 'on' I'll go right (I train to go right). If the entry looks better to the left (some judges will put you in from the side) then I'll go left. I make up my mind as I'm approaching the figure 8.

When you leave the figure 8 it is important to leave immediately on the same trajectory you are on. Its something many judges (myself included) will ping you for if you continue after being commanded to lead out.

Recall - follow the judges commands and you wont go wrong. Another place you can be pinged is when the judge tells you to leave your dog and when you are around 10 to 12 meters away, command you to about turn, and halt. When you about turn don't assume that all judges will immediately halt you. Continue walking back until you hear halt. On the other hand if you hear 'about turn and halt' you must halt immediately! Same goes for change of position and stand for examination.

Ring craft can be so important and is really worth more attention than a lot of triallers give it.

obedience comp techniques, strategies or rules?

Figure eight - when you enter does it matter if you go around the left or the right person first? I was told, go around the person that takes your dog on the inside of you with you on the outside. Is this a rule or just a strategy? I imagine if your dog is a bit nervous of new people or too friendly it might work better if you go the other way.

And when you go out, do you go on whatever trajectory you're on or does it always need to be at right angles to the line made by the people/cones defining the figure 8

Also when you do a recall, when do you "return to your dog" ie the dog sits still while you walk around the dog to get back to the heel position, and when do you ask the dog to "finish" ie it returns to the heel position while you stand still. I think each method would result in you facing the opposite direction so it might matter to a judge who doesn't want to crash you into the boundary.

Also about straight lines, Huski, the only way I can get them is to aim for some fixed point in the distance eg line up a light pole and a tree (basic boating navigation technique), but then you can't watch your dog. When I was doing "grade 5", the class before we start ccd classes, I used to leave a bag or a long line at my starting point and aim for that and have arguments with the person next to me who wasn't aiming for anything and travelled into me.

Any suggestions on how to teach a dog to sit or drop or stand (basic obedience commands) without luring? Mack has no real interest in food, I'm flat out getting him to eat his meals let alone use anything for training. He goes wild for a game of tug though so I'm using that as a reward at the moment. He's also pretty keen on getting belly rubs and cuddles so that looks like it's going to be a back up reward. I'm thinking about using more shaping to teach him things but not entirely sure how to go about it... so any suggestions? :) At this stage I've taught him to come when he's called and walk on a lead! :laugh:

Seita - I think I did a combination with Kenz who wasn't that interested in food. I'd use food occasionally at home and just do a few repetitions and get verbals on things quickly and then use a tug reward. You could also teach a hand target rewarding with tug and then use that to teach the position.

Seemed to work for her and she really was a struggle to get to eat much at all.

I had to almost teach Brock and Poppy to eat treats first. It didn't take long for them to catch on. Interestingly both were weaned totally on a prey diet. Didn't have the same issue with Amber, who got some kibble.

Tah for the answers.

And the difference between CDD end the recall and the other classes would explain why our instructors don't like to teach "finish" any more in case the dog anticipates. So I mix it up which way I end, having taught her finish in grade 1. we end up doing a lot of doggy circle work if she finishes too far ahead of my leg (when she's anticipating food). No food for dogs out of position, though I do feed her on some recalls when she's in front of me. And for agility there's no rules about where she needs to be to get the treat because it's not for being in the right spot.

In some ways it is easier to do a left about turn with the dog backing up and swinging around as you don't lose contact with your dog as it goes around behind you, some dogs go AWOL and the handler marches off back up the field without realising the dog has gone.

Our club teaches the finish but only after leaving the dog and stepping in front, never from a recall to avoid the dog learning to anticipate.

Has anybody ever had Clive Makepeace as a judge - or any of you Victorian's seen him put a dog through UD before.

Pretty sure Clive was a judge at Berwicks last obedience trial so anyone who was there might have had him (I wasn't competing)

Any suggestions on how to teach a dog to sit or drop or stand (basic obedience commands) without luring? Mack has no real interest in food, I'm flat out getting him to eat his meals let alone use anything for training. He goes wild for a game of tug though so I'm using that as a reward at the moment. He's also pretty keen on getting belly rubs and cuddles so that looks like it's going to be a back up reward. I'm thinking about using more shaping to teach him things but not entirely sure how to go about it... so any suggestions? :eek: At this stage I've taught him to come when he's called and walk on a lead! :eek:

I would strongly recommend you do not give your dog belly rubs, you need a solid dog for stand for inspect and you don't want your dog rolling over

when the Judge goes to examine it I think the drop is one of the hardest things to teach, I know my little man is strongly objecting to it at this stage

however I am no phased by it, it will happen he has quite a few things under his belt now, I get a great thrill when I see him click onto what I am

telling him to do.t be patient and keep trying the saying is dogs don't like dropping because it is being submissive, if you see your dog in a down at

home for no reason, other than that is the way he chooses to be, click and treat and say down or drop or whatever Beagie

Here's a vid of Daisy from last tonight:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKwC-AZX33M

I have to remember to run her a little bit before hand! Otherwise we'll get barking in the ring :eek:

ETA: Why is walking in a straight line so hard :eek: :eek:

When training with Sue H she told me to line myself up on the ropes around the ring they should be straight or the jumps,

when training on my own I used to lay a rope out straight and use that as a guide Beagie

Has anybody ever had Clive Makepeace as a judge - or any of you Victorian's seen him put a dog through UD before.

The name rings a bell. I think he was last years judge at our state and national trial. He put me through Novice in the state trial, and it was some of our best heelwork to date :eek: Shame about the SFE though, he laughed when Ruby wanted to say hello :eek:

Edited by RubyStar