Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

No don't be fooled, it said coming soon on my lamb tug and slip lead when I ordered them and both got shipped immediately :cry: ;)

I like the Pentas one too, but c'mon, how is that a wombat? :grouphug:

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

....and I have raw whole sardines in my pocket!!!! Yum!!!!

I'll have a go at what you suggest :laugh: I can't really do the dinner bit though as he gets 6 pieces of goat and mashed potatoes which is kinda hard to use as a treat LOL

Getover it - if Caffy can do raw brains in her pocket you can have a container with goat and mashed potato in it and give him a handful every time he gets it right :laugh:

I saw those on the weekend Mas. Very clever! How long do you bake them for and what temperature? I normally feed raw but I reckon he would love some cooked roo balls..(.Ooooh that sounded so bad :cheer::laugh: )

I'll have a go at what you suggest :laugh: I can't really do the dinner bit though as he gets 6 pieces of goat and mashed potatoes which is kinda hard to use as a treat LOL

Getover it - if Caffy can do raw brains in her pocket you can have a container with goat and mashed potato in it and give him a handful every time he gets it right :laugh:

I sometimes have a container with his raw roo mince, Mason loves any meat raw or cooked.

Sas dont know if this would help but what I did with Masons roo mince is that I took a bit, rolled them in balls and baked it on a non stick baking tray, I have not seen the goat so I have no idea what texture it is?? but maybe you want to give it a try.

She was looking really nice last night. Some great boxes too! :laugh:

Here's a challenge for you RubyStar.....can you show her the i squeak in your right hand and keep it in view and she maintain heel position? Big ask but an interesting training challenge. Remember, baby steps...split don't lump! You can mark great position and release her to the thrown ball. I do it with food and tuggy and its a great reminder to him to maintain position.

Currently, no :laugh: But a challenge I am willing to take on! Last night I gave her a verbal encouragement coming out of a nice tight RAT (which is rare) and she took that to mean I was about to throw the ball, so dashed out in front of me :cheer: Little minx :laugh: I need to teach her maintain position with that ball or you get no ball! Cos right now it's causing some messy (but very enthusiastic) work!

Back from the most awesome UD training session in ages. Ness hardly put a paw out of place - hmm in fact she was at best getting 1 point deductions for the exercises if that. And that bloody seekback present she muffed so badly on the weekend went off without a hitch and was seriously nice. Her DJ was beautiful, her articles all back and full of confidence, some lovely signals heelwork and a lovely glove.

Now if only the little witch could get it together in a trial when it matters. But least I know she can do it :laugh:. Just goes to show its not all over yet :laugh: .

To be honest I don't time them but i recon i probably cook them for 15 or 20 minutes at around 180 degrees. I shake the baking dish now and then to make sure they cook evenly both sides. :eek:

I saw those on the weekend Mas. Very clever! How long do you bake them for and what temperature? I normally feed raw but I reckon he would love some cooked roo balls..(.Ooooh that sounded so bad :rofl::cry: )
I'll have a go at what you suggest :cry: I can't really do the dinner bit though as he gets 6 pieces of goat and mashed potatoes which is kinda hard to use as a treat LOL

Getover it - if Caffy can do raw brains in her pocket you can have a container with goat and mashed potato in it and give him a handful every time he gets it right :(

I sometimes have a container with his raw roo mince, Mason loves any meat raw or cooked.

Sas dont know if this would help but what I did with Masons roo mince is that I took a bit, rolled them in balls and baked it on a non stick baking tray, I have not seen the goat so I have no idea what texture it is?? but maybe you want to give it a try.

You are a braver woman than me, I put loads of stuff in my pocket as training treats but raw sardines is something I dont think i could do :cry:

....and I have raw whole sardines in my pocket!!!! Yum!!!!
I'll have a go at what you suggest :rofl: I can't really do the dinner bit though as he gets 6 pieces of goat and mashed potatoes which is kinda hard to use as a treat LOL

Getover it - if Caffy can do raw brains in her pocket you can have a container with goat and mashed potato in it and give him a handful every time he gets it right :(

She was looking really nice last night. Some great boxes too! :cry:
Here's a challenge for you RubyStar.....can you show her the i squeak in your right hand and keep it in view and she maintain heel position? Big ask but an interesting training challenge. Remember, baby steps...split don't lump! You can mark great position and release her to the thrown ball. I do it with food and tuggy and its a great reminder to him to maintain position.

Currently, no :eek: But a challenge I am willing to take on! Last night I gave her a verbal encouragement coming out of a nice tight RAT (which is rare) and she took that to mean I was about to throw the ball, so dashed out in front of me :cry: Little minx :cry: I need to teach her maintain position with that ball or you get no ball! Cos right now it's causing some messy (but very enthusiastic) work!

Thanks :( Have to teach her that taking the jump on the way to the box does not score bonus points, though :cry:

I had a go at heeling while waving an i-squeak all around tonight, she got the idea :rofl: I even threw it behind me as we heeled and she saw it drop, but kept her position ;) Even did it with Millie with surprising results ;)

Back from the most awesome UD training session in ages. Ness hardly put a paw out of place - hmm in fact she was at best getting 1 point deductions for the exercises if that. And that bloody seekback present she muffed so badly on the weekend went off without a hitch and was seriously nice. Her DJ was beautiful, her articles all back and full of confidence, some lovely signals heelwork and a lovely glove.

Now if only the little witch could get it together in a trial when it matters. But least I know she can do it :eek:. Just goes to show its not all over yet :rofl: .

:cry::(

Now if only the little witch could get it together in a trial when it matters. But least I know she can do it :(. Just goes to show its not all over yet :cry: .

Woohoo. Gives you hope doesnt it?

kathq sorta except for that fact in the last three trials she has decided presenting her seekback is an optional extra and she just runs straight past me :cry: .

Did you try this???

QUOTE (ness @ 24th May 2010 - 11:42 AM) *

UD training/trialling issue which I'd like some thoughts on - issue is seekback - not the finding the article but the presenting the article. At both trials on the weekend Ness came in with the seekback and stood. On Saturday she stood off to one side but close enough to a front that she didn't fail. Sunday she stood at heel. She didn't go around behind me just came in and sort of did a flip finish to end up at heel (well she never even actually came into front embarrass.gif ). She has never pulled it at training so I am lost as to how to go about resolving it. Any ideas??

The SB present was a weak area for Alex. I obviously hadn't rewarded the present enough as I used to click at differing distances and throw food or toy behind me as in the 2 food game. Got great speed on the SB search and return though laugh.gif He ended up running past me in trials eek1.gif

So I just tossed his article a short distance and rewarded the present bigtime...that might be all I did in 1 session...and then I made sure I rewarded the finish also. I also intoduced jackpotting lining him up for the box...not actually doing the box but lining up for it. So I built on rewarding him as I went along ..get the picture...one reward led to another.

For example at training..Do SB, reward present...he is now anticipating another reward as we head to where line up for the box...line him up..jackpot...end of session.

Another thing you should question if she is standing looking at you...do you wait her out to present in training if she stands???

Personally, I wouldn't.

Yep have been doing that caffy. I also had a session with Rivsky at a park we don't normally train and we tried everything we could think of that might have been causing the issue and she nailed every single one of them. Thought maybe it was something to do with where the judge was standing as she came in.

However even the judge on Saturday was wondering what on earth Ness was thinking given she has put us through most weeks more often then not at training - so its nothing I was doing and she wasn't standing anywhere different to normal.

I thought we might have solved it but it appears not. Will do some more of what you suggested :cry:. Maybe we just need to keep at it some more.

She doesn't normally stand with an article at training at least not that I can remember for a very long time. We were having article issues though so a thought that just occured to me while I typed out this response is I wonder if this is somehow all tied up in that. I use different commands and I know the picture looks different to the dog but maybe she is confused. Her articles were back on fire last night as well.

We have a mock trial this coming weekend so my aim is to do as I would if it was a normal trial but have somebody standing outside the ring with my treats and then if she nails it to reward her that way.

....and I have raw whole sardines in my pocket!!!!

I thought that was your new perfume :( Hmm we need to compare sardine notes I think - mine tend to go all squishy when they defrost and are definitely not suitable for putting in my pocket. Are yours still partly frozen?

Have to teach her that taking the jump on the way to the box does not score bonus points, though .....

Rubystar you must be lumping again :rofl:

I thought that was your new perfume :cry: Hmm we need to compare sardine notes I think - mine tend to go all squishy when they defrost and are definitely not suitable for putting in my pocket. Are yours still partly frozen?

I got all keen and took some frozen little fish to training once (think they were whitebait) I regretted it after about half an hour when my pocket was full of soggy squishy fishy mush :( My trackies never recovered :) The things we do for our dogs :rofl:

No don't be fooled, it said coming soon on my lamb tug and slip lead when I ordered them and both got shipped immediately :):(

I like the Pentas one too, but c'mon, how is that a wombat? :rofl:

Did you have to tell me that, amypie???? :cry: Yep - see what you mean about the "wombat" - I hadn't noticed that.

Brains and sardines in pockets :cry::rofl: . I use the plastic zip top snack bags - fit in pockets nicely, and when you leave the top open - easy to get treats out. (But then my guys don't get such exotic treats :( )

I thought that was your new perfume :( Hmm we need to compare sardine notes I think - mine tend to go all squishy when they defrost and are definitely not suitable for putting in my pocket. Are yours still partly frozen?

Have to teach her that taking the jump on the way to the box does not score bonus points, though .....

Rubystar you must be lumping again :cry:

Guilty your honour!! :) But she's been doing lots of jumps in agility, perhaps she thinks every jump must be taken :rofl:

See what happens when you go and move, I become a bad, bad mum! :eek::rofl: