Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

Left leg Huski? Isn't that your heeling leg? I agree you don't need a signal...I do a lot of one step stuff. Left leg means dog heels off one step. Right leg means dog stays.
Tiggy to be honest I'm lazy and don't use a hand signal for stay. I just use a voice command and step off on my left leg.

Edited for duh English!!!

Umm yes it is my heeling leg, I meant my right leg.... doh :laugh:

I was posting from my iPhone and that requires more concentration than normal so that's my excuse :)

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:laugh::):(:):) Ptolomy. On the distraction training front I think I can rule out ovals of little humans kicking footballs as being an issue. They now seem to have gone to the what I see nothing in the form of distraction category, mum can't we just play....... NOW!!!!!!!!! Edited by ness

When referring to sides I find it easier to say drivers or passengers side :)

Confused is right :laugh: - just don't ever take the red tribe herding ptolomy - you'll have real trouble with sides then :(

ETfix typo

Edited by Tassie

Oh noooooo!!!! :eek: Herding will be my next pursuit a bit down the track when I get my kelpie. I have no clue about my right from my left :laugh: !!! I use back and close as there is no way I can spit out "ooops...other left" in time :)

When referring to sides I find it easier to say drivers or passengers side :)

Confused is right :( - just don't ever take the red tribe herding ptolomy - you'll have real trouble with sides then :)

ETfix typo

Just making sure! :)

Left leg Huski? Isn't that your heeling leg? I agree you don't need a signal...I do a lot of one step stuff. Left leg means dog heels off one step. Right leg means dog stays.
Tiggy to be honest I'm lazy and don't use a hand signal for stay. I just use a voice command and step off on my left leg.

Umm yes it is my heeling leg, I meant my right leg.... doh :laugh:

I was posting from my iPhone and that requires more concentration than normal so that's my excuse :(

When using a jackpot or toy as a reward, do you still alternate with food or can you just use a toy? Got Mason a tug from Paytons Toybox and he is psycho over it, will literally walk on his back legs for it :laugh:

Use whatever floats his boat!!! :)

When using a jackpot or toy as a reward, do you still alternate with food or can you just use a toy? Got Mason a tug from Paytons Toybox and he is psycho over it, will literally walk on his back legs for it :laugh:

Yep I'd use whatever gets him super excited... although you could also use it as a surprise (i.e. he doesn't realise you have it) and bring it out so he gets a better reward than he's expecting.

Yep I'd use whatever gets him super excited... although you could also use it as a surprise (i.e. he doesn't realise you have it) and bring it out so he gets a better reward than he's expecting.

Thats a great idea Huski! He loves food so much but when this new Turbo Rush tug is out he rather have the tug. I used it tonight for sits stays as I have been battling with him and he sat so still ( no laying down) just to get his tug as reward.

Herding is fun bedazzledx2 - but heaven help me a sport where the dog knows more than the handler = BIG TROUBLE. Least Kenz seems happy enough to just keep balancing the sheep to me while I learn to get my act together :laugh: .

Kenz has been trained in the past with a mix of food and toys. She has always been more toy motivated then food motivated and would occasionally store food in her mouth until given a toy as a reward :) .

Edited by ness

Thats a great idea Huski! He loves food so much but when this new Turbo Rush tug is out he rather have the tug. I used it tonight for sits stays as I have been battling with him and he sat so still ( no laying down) just to get his tug as reward.

It's amazing what the right motivation will do :laugh:

I was thinking about dropping the hand signal because I actually don't need it but if I ever advance to the signals exercise I though I'd use hand signals or do most people use verbal signals.

Oh noooooo!!!! :) Herding will be my next pursuit a bit down the track when I get my kelpie. I have no clue about my right from my left :laugh: !!! I use back and close as there is no way I can spit out "ooops...other left" in time :)

Hope it's not scared of sheepies like Brookie :(

Something to try - ask Mason for a hand touch and reward him with the tug. You then up the number of hand touches before rewarding him.

Why do this - because you can take hand touches into an obedience ring and by pairing it with the tug he will expect that at some stage he will be rewarded with his favourite toy.

OH and speaking from experience - I ordered this you beaut tug with rabbit fur from clean run. I showed it to Blaize and she went ballistic over it. A few minutes later the phone rang so I took the call outside, came back in 5 minutes later to find the tug in many many pieces! So don't leave it laying around.

Edited by Ptolomy

I was thinking about dropping the hand signal because I actually don't need it but if I ever advance to the signals exercise I though I'd use hand signals or do most people use verbal signals.

I can only speak for myself, but I find just stepping off on the right leg is a clear enough stay signal for Daisy.