Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

Had a great training session with both dogs :) . Sophie's heel work was so enthusiastic and she's getting some great rear end awareness on them turns :( . It was funny I've never released the dogs from a stay by throwing a toy behind them before, so one at a time I did a short drop stay then threw the toy behind them and said get it and they both looked at me like is this a trap :eek: .

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Had a great training session with both dogs :rofl: . Sophie's heel work was so enthusiastic and she's getting some great rear end awareness on them turns :mad . It was funny I've never released the dogs from a stay by throwing a toy behind them before, so one at a time I did a short drop stay then threw the toy behind them and said get it and they both looked at me like is this a trap :p .

Great to hear Tiggy! You will need to do a video update soon!! :(:)

We had a great training session tonight too. I played around with hand positioning and tried having my hand on my hip, with one hand down; both hands hanging down; one hand on my stomach and one hand down and Daisy worked brilliantly regardless but I find I spend the whole time thinking about where my hands are and trying to make sure I put them back in the original position after giving a command :) Both hands in the middle is still the most natural position for me. I think I will see how we go trialling with my hands like that and if we have lots of trouble with judges I will force myself to change!

Had a great time at obedience training tonight :( . Both dogs were heeling like little dynamos :angel: . I got some great pointers to. One of the Instructors asked for a 270 degree turn and we were all like say what :) . She said just getting you ready for Rally :D . Doggies are asleep on the lounge now and I'm off to bed to :D .

Had a great training session with both dogs :( . Sophie's heel work was so enthusiastic and she's getting some great rear end awareness on them turns :D . It was funny I've never released the dogs from a stay by throwing a toy behind them before, so one at a time I did a short drop stay then threw the toy behind them and said get it and they both looked at me like is this a trap :angel: .

Great to hear Tiggy! You will need to do a video update soon!! :D :D

We had a great training session tonight too. I played around with hand positioning and tried having my hand on my hip, with one hand down; both hands hanging down; one hand on my stomach and one hand down and Daisy worked brilliantly regardless but I find I spend the whole time thinking about where my hands are and trying to make sure I put them back in the original position after giving a command :) Both hands in the middle is still the most natural position for me. I think I will see how we go trialling with my hands like that and if we have lots of trouble with judges I will force myself to change!

I spoke to a senior judge this week about the way you were marked last week cos of your hands and she was stunned and said that as long as your hands go back to the same position every time during an exercise then a judge CAN'T take points off for it! Having hands in the middle is no less natural than having one on your hip and one down by your side! I don't think you'll find many judges even here in QLD that will ping you for that. There are a few who have funny notions about one hand on hip and probably in the middle too but I the majority I think will not take marks off as long as your hands always go back to the same place.

Actually I think in some of my early trials I had my hands in the middle too for heeling but have moved to having them both down by my sides these days!

Thanks so much for asking for me Nic, that makes me feel a lot better about my hand positioning!

Just realized this Sunday is two weeks til our first proper trial :( holy crap! Am already sooooo nervous but excited too! Wasn't going to share the trial date on DOL but am feeling more confident after our mock trial. Just worried about group stays, because we've never done them in full on trial conditions before. Daisy is doing really solid stays under heavy distraction at the moment so fingers crossed we will smash them on the day!

Thanks so much for asking for me Nic, that makes me feel a lot better about my hand positioning!

Just realized this Sunday is two weeks til our first proper trial :D holy crap! Am already sooooo nervous but excited too! Wasn't going to share the trial date on DOL but am feeling more confident after our mock trial. Just worried about group stays, because we've never done them in full on trial conditions before. Daisy is doing really solid stays under heavy distraction at the moment so fingers crossed we will smash them on the day!

So does this mean Southside for your debut? Come say hi if it is and we can be nervous togethor. :(

You'll be fine by the way am positive of it.

Just realized this Sunday is two weeks til our first proper trial :confused: holy crap! Am already sooooo nervous but excited too! Wasn't going to share the trial date on DOL but am feeling more confident after our mock trial. Just worried about group stays, because we've never done them in full on trial conditions before. Daisy is doing really solid stays under heavy distraction at the moment so fingers crossed we will smash them on the day!

Awesome! Good luck!! :laugh: But don't forget to train for boredom, too!!! My dog is more likely to stay put in a distracting environment because it's entertaining to her, than she is when there is nothing going on :(

Hey guys

I havent' been in this thread much but I have a question re: UD :(

Leo has been doing speak for a while now. He does the sit and down perfectly. He USED to do the stand well too, although he's just so darned eager he likes to do a vertical jump while barking :smashpc:.... which would DQ us if we were in the ring....

I need some thoughts on how to fix it. I've used barriers on the ground, but everytime I fade it the behaviour comes back. I've tried fading it really slow too. I've also use a lead with no avail..

Any suggestions?

PS - if I cease rewarding the 'speak' when he vertically jumps it's so frequent that he gets confused he stops speaking all together, so I need an in-between step :laugh:

Hey guys

I havent' been in this thread much but I have a question re: UD :whip:

Leo has been doing speak for a while now. He does the sit and down perfectly. He USED to do the stand well too, although he's just so darned eager he likes to do a vertical jump while barking :smashpc:.... which would DQ us if we were in the ring....

I need some thoughts on how to fix it. I've used barriers on the ground, but everytime I fade it the behaviour comes back. I've tried fading it really slow too. I've also use a lead with no avail..

Any suggestions?

PS - if I cease rewarding the 'speak' when he vertically jumps it's so frequent that he gets confused he stops speaking all together, so I need an in-between step :(

My solution - train gloves :laugh:

Does he still jump when you are standing right in front of him?

Hey guys

I havent' been in this thread much but I have a question re: UD :rofl:

Any suggestions?

PS - if I cease rewarding the 'speak' when he vertically jumps it's so frequent that he gets confused he stops speaking all together, so I need an in-between step :whip:

My solution - train gloves :laugh:

Does he still jump when you are standing right in front of him?

He's worse the closer I am :(.

Hmmm.... gloves..... there is a reason I don't do that! He can't follow direction :rofl:. Locks into one and I cant' change his mind :). I think I just SUCK at teaching it...

Just realized this Sunday is two weeks til our first proper trial :smashpc: holy crap! Am already sooooo nervous but excited too! Wasn't going to share the trial date on DOL but am feeling more confident after our mock trial. Just worried about group stays, because we've never done them in full on trial conditions before. Daisy is doing really solid stays under heavy distraction at the moment so fingers crossed we will smash them on the day!

Yay! I was going to debut at this trial too but somehow I don't think this will happen... that blasted seek back is still causing problems! I'll decide this week before I finalise the catalogues (gotta have some perks if you're the trial secretary!).

Oh and both Huski and Kathq, I'll be there handing out the trophies when you both do really well! :laugh:

Hahaha Nic it would be awesome to have you handing us a trophie, although with my nerves just a pass would be ok :smashpc:

ok so for total trialling noobs like myself, what do I need to do/bring to a trial? Something to sit on? A stake out peg? probably won't bother with our crate as I never use it out and about. Is all I need an arm band thing to put my number in? Is all I need to do when I get there is go for vetting and bug the trial secretary aka Seita??

Edited by huski

Hahaha Nic it would be awesome to have you handing us a trophie, although with my nerves just a pass would be ok :smashpc:

ok so for total trialling noobs like myself, what do I need to do/bring to a trial? Something to sit on? A stake out peg? probably won't bother with our crate as I never use it out and about. Is all I need an arm band thing to put my number in? Is all I need to do when I get there is go for vetting and bug the trial secretary aka Seita??

Pretty much, a chair for you, a crate/peg/mat etc for Daisy. A water bowl is a good idea although there is a communal water bucket always. A clip/pin/arm band thing for your number, a pen is a good idea if you want to record your scores although in CCD it's not hard to remember :whip: . Umm treats for the dog, a hat might be a good idea and that's about it really. Gotta remember sooo much more for UD! LOL

Yay! I was going to debut at this trial too but somehow I don't think this will happen... that blasted seek back is still causing problems!

So what has happened now - dare I ask???? :laugh:

It's not what's happened now, rather what she STILL doesn't get! Grr! She goes back to the start peg and searches around there and then tends to go back the opposite way to which we walked tracking our footsteps rather than forward towards me! It's just sooo frustrating! She sometimes gets it right and starts following the track back towards me but usually after a bit of searching the other way first. She always finds it but just doesn't seem to get the concept of following the track and I don't want to put her into a trial and then have her take 5 minutes (and sometimes it does take this long) for her to find it! It's rather disheartening as she's got everything else working really nicely! :(

Pretty much, a chair for you, a crate/peg/mat etc for Daisy. A water bowl is a good idea although there is a communal water bucket always. A clip/pin/arm band thing for your number, a pen is a good idea if you want to record your scores although in CCD it's not hard to remember :( . Umm treats for the dog, a hat might be a good idea and that's about it really. Gotta remember sooo much more for UD! LOL

Shade is a must either gazebo or umbrella keeps either the sun or rain off. And something to keep you occupied like a book to read (though I always take something and never end up actually reading :laugh: )

Insect repellent is another one for stays as my girl will play hunt the fly, bug whatever and break accidentally trying to get it off herself.

Pretty much, a chair for you, a crate/peg/mat etc for Daisy. A water bowl is a good idea although there is a communal water bucket always. A clip/pin/arm band thing for your number, a pen is a good idea if you want to record your scores although in CCD it's not hard to remember :whip: . Umm treats for the dog, a hat might be a good idea and that's about it really. Gotta remember sooo much more for UD! LOL

Shade is a must either gazebo or umbrella keeps either the sun or rain off. And something to keep you occupied like a book to read (though I always take something and never end up actually reading :laugh: )

Insect repellent is another one for stays as my girl will play hunt the fly, bug whatever and break accidentally trying to get it off herself.

I always bring a gazebo but rarely end up setting it up! Southside has a couple of shade structures on the grounds and several large trees next to where the rings are so plenty of shade on offer there but not all grounds are like this. And yep agreed on the insect repellent! Ella has an unexplainable fear of ants and can't tolerate them being near her so I always spray her feet lets and belly before stays! :(