Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

JulesP was it you that lost your lead??? If it was I take it that you found it again :thumbsup::)

I am interested to find out if your most advanced at herding is also your best at obedience and if so are they the oldest?

No haven't found the lead yet. Have plenty more though :laugh: I liked this lead because it is a bit shorter then the current leads.

Brock is 4, Poppy is 2 and Amber is 6 months. Brock is fairly tragic at everything. He is a super soft, lovely natured dog. I tried herding and he was just not sure if he should be chasing the sheep. He would get his instinct certificate though. I got Poppy and she was well brilliant and I eased off on Brock's training as I preferred to work with Poppy. She is one of those really focused borders that would die for their handler. She is the most advanced in herding and obedience. She would also be better than Brock in agility. Amber has super strong instinct on sheep and looks like she will be a good obedience dog, she is less intense than Poppy. All 3 dogs do have the same attitudes to each of the sports. Brock is slow in all of them. Poppy is intense but inconsistent (but she is only 2). Amber is just a good girl!

How do you find yours at the different sports?

Poppy & Brock have the same dad btw.

I took the first 10 minutes of class today - it was probably more like 15 minutes - and I made a note that next time I will take my toy basket down as I am sure none of the dogs have ever done any distraction work :thumbsup:

Lets all move to Rockingham so we can be in Ptolomy's class :)

A little brag for us tonight:

We went to a VERY last minute mock trial tonight (i.e. I only found out about it a few hours before) so I was totally unprepared but really needed the experience (it was a judges training night).

It was our first time in a ring under trial conditions, and the first time we've done a run out under a stranger. When we got there I was told three different times that we would be up next so I revved Daisy up three times and got her ready to work then each time something happened that meant we had to wait longer. Then at the last minute they needed one more dog in Novice and I was asked if I could bring Daisy over instead of doing CCD. So I thought meh I know she can work off leash and decided to give it a go. Keeping in mind that we've never done a run out in training where we've done all the novice exercises and I've never done a formal COP.... lol.

There were quite a few people watching and unbeknown to me some who were reluctant for Daisy to have a run as they wanted a more experienced dog for the trainee judge. But once they were in the ring they were blown away (probably because they weren't expecting a beagle to work well LOL). We got some great feedback which was good but I am SO proud of Daisy for working so well. She passed every exercise even COP. We lost points for my crappy handling but I can fix that :rolleyes: I needed to do a mock trial so I could know she was capable of it and she is :cry:

One thing though, one of the trainee judges commented on the way I hold both my hands together against my stomach. She said it wasn't a natural position and would penalise us for it, whereas some of the other judges said it was fine. I'm uploading the vid now for anyone who wants to have a look but I'd really like some feedback on hand position if anyone can help?

ETA: Vid is uploaded :thumbsup:

Edited by huski

Great work huski and Daisy :cry: . I was going to ask if your hand position would be allowed in the trial ring. Hopefully bedazzled and Ptolomy will enlighten us :thumbsup: .

Great work huski and Daisy :cry: . I was going to ask if your hand position would be allowed in the trial ring. Hopefully bedazzled and Ptolomy will enlighten us :thumbsup: .

Thanks Tiggy :rolleyes: I was sooooo nervous!!

I can change my hand position if it will be the safer bet, I just hear so many different things. It is a natural position for me and when walking/standing I will often hold my hands in my middle. The other reason I do it is because I am the worst fidgeter and put my hands together so I can hold them still LOL. I would hate to trial and lose a tonne of points for it. Tonight one of the judges pinged me big time for it, the others disagreed though and had we done group stays we would have scored in the mid/high 180s.

Edited by huski

Daisy is going to kick butt in CCD :rolleyes:

Once I fix my handling!! :cry::thumbsup:

One of the judges who was watching outside of the ring tonight couldn't believe she was only about to trial in CCD and was trying to convince me to go straight into CD - Daisy would be fine but I need the practice LOL!

Fantastic work huski and Daisy! :cry:

Many people hold their hand on the hip or stomach without issue, although maybe a bit lower than your hands but not anymore natural looking, so can't see why it would be a problem??

Edited by FHRP

At training this arvo, I had Millie climb over my back seat then climb out the back window ;) Never mind the fact that we'd just spent 2 hours training and playing i-squeak, the second I wanted to practice a SFE with Ruby without Millie and her i-squeak going off, she didn't like this one bit so made every effort to join us again :driving: :driving:

It was amazing, she made it look pretty easy :thumbsup:

OK - I pencilled in July as Lexi's UD debut - BUT - I have now broken her box (hmm sounds sinister doesn't it :D ) - luckily I didn't say which July :D

Sounds painful :) :D

7 dogs at the beach.... no way..my two are enough and they go mental at the beach too :rolleyes:

<snip>

Awesome Huski :cry: Can't watch the video until tomorrow but sounds like you guys did really well :)

Fantastic work huski and Daisy! :cry:

Many people hold their hand on the hip or stomach without issue, although maybe a bit lower than your hands but not anymore natural looking, so can't see why it would be a problem??

The reason that was given to me is that it's not a natural position.

I am happy to change but it's the most natural position for me and personally I can't see much difference between holding one hand against your stomach with one hand hanging down and holding two hands together. I don't think one way looks more natural than the other but I don't want to go into the ring and get pinged tonnes of points for it. It does appear it's only the minority of judges who would ping you for it though.

Note to self - need to makes some new friends who can help me with stays :driving: especially now Rubystar is into open :cry:

Well I can still help with UD stays :thumbsup: And Open stays for a little bit longer, as we're not ready to be in there just yet! I'll come find some new friends with you, because I am hoping at some stage Millie will be in Open too, then I'll be stuck! :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: Three novices - :driving: I hate it when you only know a smidge more than the dog :thumbsup:

I think my dogs are training me :driving: , they're great trainers, very patient :cry: .

My new hat says "Trained by my Labrador Retrievers" :D

Lovely work Huski :cry: You should be very proud of Daisy and yourself :rolleyes: Yes a couple of little glitches but nothing that can't be smoothed out. Did the judge give you any idea what they would have marked you? The hands thing varies between the states. This was mentioned a little while ago on this list and apparently there are a few Qld judges who actually prefer the hands in the middle. Way back when I started trialling everyone had their hands in the middle. Not sure when it changed but gradually a lot of us went to one hand stationary on the heeling side and the other swinging naturally....taken from the English style of handling. Both styles are acceptable IMO and as you didn't give any extra signals I can't see where it could be marked down. I find it difficult to keep my balance with both hands in the middle and prefer the look of one hand at your heeling side and the other swinging, but that is personal preference and I wouldn't take marks off for either style.

We went to a VERY last minute mock trial tonight (i.e. I only found out about it a few hours before) so I was totally unprepared but really needed the experience (it was a judges training night).

It was our first time in a ring under trial conditions, and the first time we've done a run out under a stranger. When we got there I was told three different times that we would be up next so I revved Daisy up three times and got her ready to work then each time something happened that meant we had to wait longer. Then at the last minute they needed one more dog in Novice and I was asked if I could bring Daisy over instead of doing CCD. So I thought meh I know she can work off leash and decided to give it a go. Keeping in mind that we've never done a run out in training where we've done all the novice exercises and I've never done a formal COP.... lol.

There were quite a few people watching and unbeknown to me some who were reluctant for Daisy to have a run as they wanted a more experienced dog for the trainee judge. But once they were in the ring they were blown away (probably because they weren't expecting a beagle to work well LOL). We got some great feedback which was good but I am SO proud of Daisy for working so well. She passed every exercise even COP. We lost points for my crappy handling but I can fix that :driving: I needed to do a mock trial so I could know she was capable of it and she is :thumbsup:

One thing though, one of the trainee judges commented on the way I hold both my hands together against my stomach. She said it wasn't a natural position and would penalise us for it, whereas some of the other judges said it was fine. I'm uploading the vid now for anyone who wants to have a look but I'd really like some feedback on hand position if anyone can help?

ETA: Vid is uploaded :driving:

I find it difficult to keep my balance with both hands in the middle and prefer the look of one hand at your heeling side and the other swinging, but that is personal preference and I wouldn't take marks off for either style.

Once I started trying to tidy my handling skills up, I had both hands in the middle, but also found it hard to keep my balance :cry: So I switched to one arm hanging freely, and now it just feels so natural!