Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We are doing COP for novice... Jedi enjoys his dumbbell work but I figure there's a whole lot less that can go wrong with his COP than with his dumbbell!!!! His COP is usually pretty perfect.

I can't wait to hear about Daisy's debut, huski! Soooo exciting!

What is COP? :thumbsup:

I haven't started dumbell training yet but when I have shown it to Lincoln he puts it straight in his mouth, so we might find it easy go work through the first few steps quite quickly.

Change of Position vCBR :rofl:

:rofl: @ 'drown' Poor River :laugh:

We are doing COP for novice... Jedi enjoys his dumbbell work but I figure there's a whole lot less that can go wrong with his COP than with his dumbbell!!!! His COP is usually pretty perfect.

I can't wait to hear about Daisy's debut, huski! Soooo exciting!

I'm sure it will be a most entertaining tale, for all the wrong reasons :laugh:

What is COP? :rofl:

I haven't started dumbell training yet but when I have shown it to Lincoln he puts it straight in his mouth, so we might find it easy go work through the first few steps quite quickly.

Change of Position vCBR :mad

:rofl: @ 'drown' Poor River :laugh:

I thought it stood for that but that seems way simpler then a dumbell. Unless I don't know what a change of poision is properly? :thumbsup:

Toby (the agility failure) is great at tugging at home but has no value for tug outside the property. Aside from acting like an idiot playing with his tuggy on my own any suggestions for when I go down to the park for training later?

LOL ness it's not Daisy I am worried about, but my handling when I get nervous!

Daisy has been working quite consistently lately, her SFE and stays are really coming along. We're at a point now when there's not much more I can do to prepare her, we just need to get out and trial and see how we go.

Gotta have more confidence in yourself huski. I am sure I could find plenty of youtube clips of my very average handling which I now cringe at when I watch :laugh: .

ValleyCBR - there are a few methods around for increasing value of a tug toy and getting the dog to play away from home. My first thought would be though if the dog finds something else more rewarding then in the end you use what works with the dog. There are a number of agility dogs who have been trained primarily with food. Tugging isn't the be all and end all. Having some means of rewarding the dog is. You can't always dictate what that means might be. So I would look at is it a big deal that he doesn't tug elsewhere - or is it just something you want rather than need?

I don't tug with my girls and agility. They like food and they find getting to run a course rewarding enough on its own (and having trouble with my obedience trained dog to wait at the start line! :rofl: She wants to jump it on her own!) I use food for training contacts and weaving (and the i-squeak if I run out of food!)

Rivsky, well drown and River go hand in hand :mad

:rofl: at "put your dog down" :thumbsup: I know Ruby can be a cow sometimes but I think that's a bit too severe a punishment! :laugh:

Edited by RubyStar

Hmmm RubyStar - finding running the course rewarding on its own isn't a good idea :laugh: - that would be like having your obedience dog find the DB more rewarding then what you might have to offer. Can get you into hot water pretty quickly.

I've developed a really enthusiastic tug with a dog that was not interested at all. To begin with I bought a really exciting tug made of lambs wool that he went completely bonkers for - I only brought it out when he was super excited such as when I had been away with work for a week. Then at home he only got the more boring tugs and only ever got the sheepy tail tug outside - he still wasn't happy and actually became quite anxious. Then I bought a food pouch tug from Clean Run (with rabbit fur on the outside) - from there it's just got better and better - sometimes we play tug with it, sometimes tug then food, sometimes just food. I still rely on food much more heavily at a trial. Novelty is really important for Ziggy so I switch toys, tugs and food all the time. He also likes soft tugs better. I left the food pouch tug outside to dry after washing it a few weeks ago and the possums ripped it up :thumbsup::rofl: Fortunately a friend bought 2 on my recommendation so will sell me one.

Last weekend at the agility trial I experimented a little. Got Ziggy out of his crate, took him for a wander so he could get all his sniffing and peeing and scraping and prancing done :laugh: Then I grabbed my chair and sat outside the ring and just asked him to relax. About 5 runs prior, I made a bit of a fuss about what was in the bag and Zig was beside himself when he saw it was a new soft tug - we had such a fun game of chase, catch, tug and give, after which I put it back in the bag and relaxed again. About 2 runs before us I pulled out a couple of bits of yummy food and he switched on REALLY quickly. We played a few catch it games with the food, did a bit of heeling, tight turns and halts then walked straight into the ring. His focus was sensational.