Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

Got my leads from Clean Run! Nice bright colours and soft in the hand. :thumbsup: Also got the treat bag that was on free shipping, that is pretty nifty too.

Am sick of wide LAT so am thinking of changing to the newer way of doing them. Anyone have any video of them? What footwork are you supposed to use?

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Okay big breath....................

I have sent off our first UD entry this morning.. Feeling a little sick right now but trying to be brave :thumbsup::laugh:

As Huski asked! Which one? I've got the southside trial next month marked as a potential for our UD debut but will decide at the last possible minute (as I'm the trial secretary it shouldn't be hard to slot myself in somewhere :mad ). At this stage it depends on fixing her seekback and also depends on when she comes in season.

I am getting scared just thinking about my first trial and I'm not even certain when it will be at this stage!!! :)

We are doing Oxley next month - sweepstakes in the morning with Coco. This is for me as I am so uptight about the first time that I need to do one that doesnt count if you know what I mean. And I know the judge and will be pretty relaxed (or comatose with nerves) :D . Will do the trial after the sweepie with Pip in Open as she deserves a chance at her title.

Was thinking about entering southside as well which is the week after but might just do Open with both of them to relax and hit the UD ring again in July. Too scary to think about now.

Got my leads from Clean Run! Nice bright colours and soft in the hand. :thumbsup: Also got the treat bag that was on free shipping, that is pretty nifty too.

Am sick of wide LAT so am thinking of changing to the newer way of doing them. Anyone have any video of them? What footwork are you supposed to use?

Ask bedazzled to explain her footwork, it started to make sense after heaps of trying after she explained it :laugh:

Yesterday I decided that mason's heelwork is good enough to start adding turns to and we had a whole lesson on turns in class yesterday morning, I am finding he actually pays attention to me more when we add turns in and he didnt do too badly for his first time, I on the other hand was a shocker I stood on his paw ( as if his poor allergic paws dont have enough trauma) and I felt like a bad mummy.

Oh bedazzled..were are you???????

Ptolomy just looked on Fanny's blog for something else and noticed that she has video on there doing the 2x2 weaves method.

Thanks for this - as she rushes off to have a look :thumbsup:

Had a good night at agility. I went back to class so I can still get help with other obstacles and most importantly my handling skills, but while others did the A-Frame and see-saw, I stood back and ran Ruby over a board on the ground :rofl: I practiced contact work and also getting her to turn around on it, basically just trying to get some confidence on this board. I also went over and used the wobble board in the puppy class and she was happy to climb all over it. So we'll be making slow progress to get her confidence back on the dogwalk, and the instructor is more than happy for me to go my own pace on the contact equipment :thumbsup:

We ran a sequence with some jumps, tunnels and broad jump, Ruby nailed it and I was told they couldn't fault it :laugh: That lifted my spirits after a crappy session last week. Ruby thought she was a smarty pants though, after we practiced a simple lead out, I praised her then she ran into the nearest tunnel and then over the broad jump that was in front of it :) I think she was trying to tell me she didn't need a handler and that she was fine to run the course on her own :laugh:

Edited by RubyStar

Hello :) Easier to demo than explain but I'll give it a go. LAT, left foot straight...right foot makes a T across left foot...left foot swivels round and right foot leads out followed by left.

Ptolomy just looked on Fanny's blog for something else and noticed that she has video on there doing the 2x2 weaves method.

Had a good night at agility. I went back to class so I can still get help with other obstacles and most importantly my handling skills, but while others did the A-Frame and see-saw, I stood back and ran Ruby over a board on the ground :mad I practiced contact work and also getting her to turn around on it, basically just trying to get some confidence on this board. I also went over and used the wobble board in the puppy class and she was happy to climb all over it. So we'll be making slow progress to get her confidence back on the dogwalk, and the instructor is more than happy for me to go my own pace on the contact equipment :)

We ran a sequence with some jumps, tunnels and broad jump, Ruby nailed it and I was told they couldn't fault it :) That lifted my spirits after a crappy session last week. Ruby thought she was a smarty pants though, after we practiced a simple lead out, I praised her then she ran into the nearest tunnel and then over the broad jump that was in front of it :confused: I think she was trying to tell me she didn't need a handler and that she was fine to run the course on her own :laugh:

Glad you enjoyed it :laugh: .

Hello :) Easier to demo than explain but I'll give it a go. LAT, left foot straight...right foot makes a T across left foot...left foot swivels round and right foot leads out followed by left.

Did any of you practice your footwork without the dog for awhile with turns?

Had a good night at agility. So we'll be making slow progress to get her confidence back on the dogwalk, and the instructor is more than happy for me to go my own pace on the contact equipment :confused:

I think she was trying to tell me she didn't need a handler and that she was fine to run the course on her own :laugh:

Great to hear that you had a better night Rubystar and were prepared to step in and only ask Ruby to do what she was comfortable with :laugh:

Ruby must have been speaking with Lexi on Sunday - Lexi took off for the dumbbell over the jump before being sent - yep who needs a handler :)

Thanks. That looks the same as the behind the back method?

That reminds me of a hard luck story from the weekend - a friend of mine was sitting on a lovely novice pass until the ROF. She threw the DB and the dog shot off after it. Well the handler had forgotton to give a stay command :) . She was so pleased with the fact the dog had nailed its SFE and in the heat of the moment she just clean forgot.

That reminds me of a hard luck story from the weekend - a friend of mine was sitting on a lovely novice pass until the ROF. She threw the DB and the dog shot off after it. Well the handler had forgotton to give a stay command :confused: . She was so pleased with the fact the dog had nailed its SFE and in the heat of the moment she just clean forgot.

Bugger!! :laugh: Less chance of failure doing COP in Novice :laugh: Unless of course you're a dummy handler like me and almost blow your title by saying "down" instead of "drop" :)

Ouch ness!

That's just given me an idea though......I wonder if it would be worth doing dumbbell instead of COP for our last Novice pass as Zig just thinks it's a hoot now. I know you can lose more points but it would be nice to do a retrieve in the ring BEFORE we make it to Open.

ETA: We were sitting on 197 at the Vic Dally Club last year when I gave a really sloppy hand signal for COP - Zig just looked at me in great confusion - poor lad dropped like a bullet on the 2nd command :)

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Hello :confused: Easier to demo than explain but I'll give it a go. LAT, left foot straight...right foot makes a T across left foot...left foot swivels round and right foot leads out followed by left.

Thanks. That looks the same as the behind the back method?

Hmm this wasn't the way that you showed me bedazzled :laugh:

I'm sure that I was told to cater for a dog who tends to get ahead in a LAT or just plain isn't watching for it, take a step across your body with your right foot first to block the dog going any further, then swing your left foot and body around to complete the turn. That's the way I am doing it now anyway, and it's starting to get better :) Still not a perfect LAT by any means, but sufficient enough for the moment to quit using the round the back one :laugh:

Had a good night at agility. So we'll be making slow progress to get her confidence back on the dogwalk, and the instructor is more than happy for me to go my own pace on the contact equipment :)

I think she was trying to tell me she didn't need a handler and that she was fine to run the course on her own :laugh:

Great to hear that you had a better night Rubystar and were prepared to step in and only ask Ruby to do what she was comfortable with :dancingelephant:

Ruby must have been speaking with Lexi on Sunday - Lexi took off for the dumbbell over the jump before being sent - yep who needs a handler :)

:laugh: These dogs are just too smart, so they think anyway :confused: I'll send Ruby into Open on her own then, see how she goes :) (probably better than me taking her in, come to think of it :mad)

Edited by RubyStar

I haven't decided whether I will do COP or DB for Novice yet. Kenz can do both and her DB retrieves are pretty close to perfect anyway. I always thought I'd do the COP but not so sure anymore she just really really loves her DB :) .