Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

I only just noticed today that the Rally-O seminar is at the GSDA grounds not canine. Lucky I noticed now and didn't rock up at the wrong place :thumbsup: .

Has payment due date passed for that already?

No it closes in June the 18th I think.

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK - where's the "madly jealous" icon when you need it. :thumbsup:

Clubs, weeknight training, instructors, equipment .......... not fair, not fair. :thanks::laugh::laugh:

ATM our club training is on Sundays - and I can only get there sometimes, and often by the time it's training time, I'm too knackered from taking Rory to obedience class, and teaching a big puppy class.

Going to try to get some weekday training organised with a friend who has some equipment - after work, so not much daylight - but it's better than not doing anything.

The boys both get a day a week off from training and we're meant to go to club once a week for agility (I think it's been about a month since we last went though!) and otherwise spend our time doing obedience training at different parks and they then go for a run and will sometimes do some extra training at home later on.

If Riv has trialled I usually give him an extra day off which he doesn't like but makes him super keen the next time we train.

How were you training the see saw?

Luring her wasn't working. She would get a few steps up and jump off. Lifting her up onto it just made her legs go stiff but kinda wobbly at the same time if that makes any sense at all :thanks: What is weird is that she was doing the dog walk after the see-saw, but I did notice she was going cautiously up it, then sped up once she got to the level part. We didn't do the see-saw again between that and her crapping herself. All of a sudden she just wouldn't go up it :thumbsup: She's done the full heigh dogwalk before too so it has to be the see-saw that caused her to become fearful. She used to have a problem with ramps about a year ago, but all of a sudden she got over that and did the full height dog walk. Now she's back to being fearful :laugh: Did nothing to overcome her previous fear, it just went away itself. I want to cure this one asap or I could have a real problem...

How were you training the see saw?

From earlier:

Well the other weird thing, is she wasn't scared of the see-saw. It was only about 10-20cm off the ground, and we started off by banging it with them next to it and treating. Progressed to walking on it. Ruby knows how to put 2 front paws on things so I had her putting her front paws on the end to bang it herself and she thought it was a nice game. No fear at all. Though when she walked across it and it tilted down, she appeared to be a bit unsteady on her feet but she was concentrating on the treat that she wasn't watching where she put her feet. I will have to work on naming them now, wasn't going to put a name on the see-saw til she knew it, so I guess this didn't help matters.

RubyStar, have you ever taught her to jump off the DW? The lady who bred my girls taught me this & I will always do it now. Before we train it, we teach them to jump off it, so they know they can if they need to. Obviously from how high depends on the size & build of dog, but most dogs can do it from half way up the up ramp. The theory she gave me was that if you teach them to jump off, they loose the fear of falling off, since they know they can land without disaster happening. Despite me teaching both my girls this, they have never chosen to bail...other than a couple of times where they totally lost their footing & needed to. Just a theory & one I know works...

Seita - I have been meaning to ask you - do you ask the judges permission when you enter the ring to use commands in German?

7. EXHIBITORS AND HANDLERS

Additional Commands:

All verbal commands must be in the English Language unless approved otherwise by the

Judge.

One command only is given to the dog for a specific action on the part of the dog. The

verbal command must be a single word.

Yep, once I greet the judge I always get permission before we start. I've probably trialled under and or spoken to at least 20 judges here in QLD (and a few interstaters) and no one has had any issues with it. Should the day ever arise where a judge refused I would politely withdraw.

In answer to the number of days training question, I train at a club one night a week and instruct a class that same night. I probably do 1 or 2 short sessions a day but there's probably at least 2 days a week where I just can't be bothered or don't find the time.

RubyStar, have you ever taught her to jump off the DW? The lady who bred my girls taught me this & I will always do it now. Before we train it, we teach them to jump off it, so they know they can if they need to. Obviously from how high depends on the size & build of dog, but most dogs can do it from half way up the up ramp. The theory she gave me was that if you teach them to jump off, they loose the fear of falling off, since they know they can land without disaster happening. Despite me teaching both my girls this, they have never chosen to bail...other than a couple of times where they totally lost their footing & needed to. Just a theory & one I know works...

No I haven't, but on the odd occasion she has herself (due to trying to get her back into contact position), and I was trying to discourage it... but what you say does make sense.

OK - where's the "madly jealous" icon when you need it. :)

Clubs, weeknight training, instructors, equipment .......... not fair, not fair. :laugh::love::rofl:

I can sympathise Tassie, I'm in a similar situation. Makes it bloody challenging but not undoable. :)

I train when I can - maybe once or twice a week for agility work where I'll set gear up. Always just very simple sequences; working on the "what didn't work" list from my trial/training records, double box work or simple jump grids which I try and fit in before every trial.

Most nights they get mixed fitness work - free running, off the bike, hill work/hiking or a game of frisbee/soccer/gym ball. Often I'll throw in a few minutes of ground work skills for both dogs.

I also do a short session inside most nights as well. Add some strength/balance work to this as well.

Sunday training is only about accessing contact equipment and some distraction work for Zee.

I think Daisy is starting to come along with her stays :laugh:

She did a two minute down stay tonight perfectly. She also did a great one minute sit stay especially considering the people playing hockey behind us hit a stray ball right behind me, Daisy saw it roll in front of her, watched the person run out to get it and still didn't break :)

She is also doing great SFEs for me. I can push her bum down quite firmly and she won't budge or sit. I can examine her with food in my hand and jump around and over it and she'll hold the sit. Now just to get it that reliable with everyone. LOL.

OK - where's the "madly jealous" icon when you need it. :)

Clubs, weeknight training, instructors, equipment .......... not fair, not fair. :love::rofl::)

I can sympathise Tassie, I'm in a similar situation. Makes it bloody challenging but not undoable. ;)

True. I was really pleased with how my little girl did on our mainland trip - with really minimal training.

It doesn't help that I live on a sloping block - only a small amount of flat land - just enough for 12 weavers with a bit of space either end - or a 4 jump grid.

Still, school holidays coming up - yay - time to really get into some training - bike work for Rory's gaiting and general fitness and conditioning for all of us, maybe 2x2 weaves for Rory, some HTM for Kirra, tracking for both of them, obedience for Rory.... Hmmmm - could it be I want to do too much with them? :laugh: Who cares ... we have fun.

Interesting one about jumping off the DW, Vickie. That recommendation is on one of the foundation/basic obstacles DVDs I've got. Actually makes a lot of sense - and certainly if for some reason my dog were to slip on the DW, I'd rather she knew to bale safely, rather than try to hang on. It's only happened once - but she jumped off cleanly and with no injury.

It doesn't help that I live on a sloping block - only a small amount of flat land - just enough for 12 weavers with a bit of space either end - or a 4 jump grid.

Argghh got that here too :laugh: 1/4 acre block but too slopey and a bit uneven.

I'm starting to look at the bright side of it - I'm not doing 2.5 hours on the road to get to training anymore.... so much more time for housework :love: But definitely more time for training :)

Ok question for those who have trained a good drop on recall:

I have started training this very very casually for a bit of fun. I found that if I set Daisy up for a recall only a relatively short distance from me, her DOR is perfect. Nice snappy down the instant I give the command. If I attempt it from a longer distance she does not get it as quickly and may have quite a delay in between me giving the command and complying - is this normal? Does everyone start training it with the dog only a short distance away? Is it just a matter of slowly and slightly increasing the distance?

In answer to your question, Ness... We train:

Mondays: OB club

Thursdays: Flyball club

Fridays are agility (if we go) and Saturdays are herding (if it's on).

The other days I will usually do some stuff inside if it's dark by the time I get home but they have at least 2 whole days off per week.

I have started training this very very casually for a bit of fun. I found that if I set Daisy up for a recall only a relatively short distance from me, her DOR is perfect. Nice snappy down the instant I give the command. If I attempt it from a longer distance she does not get it as quickly and may have quite a delay in between me giving the command and complying - is this normal? Does everyone start training it with the dog only a short distance away? Is it just a matter of slowly and slightly increasing the distance?

Does she have a good understanding of a drop at that distance?

Darcy has a good DOR which I never really trained, but I can drop her from any distance where she can see/hear the command. Zee at 11 months did a lovely DOR the other night (I was experimenting :) ), and she will also drop from about 50 m out.

Does she have a good understanding of a drop at that distance?

Darcy has a good DOR which I never really trained, but I can drop her from any distance where she can see/hear the command. Zee at 11 months did a lovely DOR the other night (I was experimenting :) ), and she will also drop from about 50 m out.

I think so, if I have her in a sit or stand from that distance I can get her to down it just seems to be when I've called her and she's recalling that her response is delayed.

ETA: don't think I've ever tried it 50 metres out though!! Hmmm something to try LOL.

Edited by huski

huski, try throwing her reward for dropping behind her and then sending her to get it (so you don't have to do the whole exercise of her then coming to you after the drop). She is getting closer to you before she drops because they gravitate towards the reinforcement (ie. treat coming from you), so if you throw it behind her she should start dropping quicker, in anticipation of the reward being thrown. Start closer to you and work your way out. Also if you haven't already done so, play the 2 food game in this. Call her to you, get her to drop on her way, click then throw a treat with a command to go get it, then as she runs back to you, drop again, click and throw treat. She will start dropping quicker to get the treat thrown quicker :thumbsup:

Edited by RubyStar

A little update on the dogwalk problem we started having last night.

I got home tonight and got out the ramp I have for my car (which never gets used for the car!) and propped one end up on my back step (which isn't very high). She started offering her front paws on it before I had a chance to ask for anything, so I C/T any interaction she had with it. Got her to run up it (and through the doorway :laugh:) no problems :thumbsup: Also worked her coming down it and worked on 2o2o contact position. So it's a start! Then I raised it to the doorway level and she still did it no worries :D I will hopefully get the real thing out tomorrow night at training and lay it on the ground for her to run over. Will then raise it slightly onto a table. Fingers crossed that goes well! I will also be keeping seesaw and dogwalk to different training sessions, and introducing a clear new word for the seesaw. Also won't get her to run over the seesaw just yet, will just reward her for banging it when she puts her paws on it :)

The surprise of the night - Millie's 2o2o contact is looking better than Ruby's at the moment :rofl:

Edited by RubyStar