Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Don't fret about it. Did you have a nice day out? Nice people? Fun hanging out with your doggie friend?

Well I was a bit down but it was a fun day-after the fog lifted. It was very cold early. Maybe PM trials are better lol.

Cindy is exhausted but she loves it. She is so alert watching-very cute.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. I am thinking of not entering any trials until late August and see if we can work hard on a few different things. May be forced to start a training journal.

Don't be down about it! Working with animals is not easy. Even the best of the best have problems. Go explain to a non-dog person what you had to do and they will be in awe!

Totally agree!

Even if you talk to a dog person who doesn't do dog sports like obedience. A couple I met the other day who also owned a beagle were in awe that Daisy went into heel position when I commanded her to :thumbsup:

I'm over my little obedience hump, it didn't last long :thumbsup: , I'm excited about starting both dogs in CCD very soon I hope. Little Miss Sophie is real close :eek: now I'm nervous :D .

I think we need a video update from you Tiggy!!

:D

I need to get a proper video camera as trying to video with my little digital camera is a pain. I won't be rushing out to get one just yet though, too scary :thumbsup: .

Had a fun little training session inside tonight. Daisy's stays are coming along and I am quite confident we won't have a problem with her sit/stays (she has been doing these well out and about too). At least now I can get her doing her two minute down stays inside without barking or getting bored and breaking ;)

Does anyone have any fun/different stay games we can play? I really want them to be solid before I enter her in anything.

I've also been really lazy with SD, so tonight I thought I'd experiment and use a 'fresh' article instead of the heavily scented one I always use. No problem, she got it instantly every time including when I added in the heavily scented one we always use :laugh: In fact it was probably the speediest SD she has ever done ;)

Tiggy all my vids are recorded on my little digital point and shoot :eek: No way to get feedback without a video :rofl:

Edited by huski

I'm not feeling very motivated to train obedience at the moment :rofl: . I blame my new obsession with agility ;) . It's all I want to train at the moment. Does anyone else go through this when training multiple sports or is it just me :laugh: .

I am feeling slack with obedience lately but I have been practicing a little, I am super keen to get into retrieving though as its so much fun, I am going to try meet up with a partner this week to get some tips ;) as I have no idea where to actually start. Mason is very odd, some days he will retrieve and other days he is not interested.

I think we need a video update from you Tiggy!!

;)

I need to get a proper video camera as trying to video with my little digital camera is a pain. I won't be rushing out to get one just yet though, too scary :laugh: .

Hubby video-ed me once training Mason - was enough to put me off using the camera ever again ;) not only did I get a huge shock at how big my butt is, but my handling skills were even more shocking :rofl:

I decided to join the local club today as Cider is in need to some distraction training. I did some work outside the clubhouse while the lady swept the verandah, this had Ciderbear in a spin and staying focused was very difficult. Working around an agility tunnel proved easy as did working 30m from the heeling group. Stand stays are improving!

Will start her agility training tomorrow night, but will do some obedience training while I am there as well.

:laugh: go Cider. Hmmm I should post something here. I took my UD gear to the park this afternoon and got a lovely seekback and two lovely directed jumps :rofl: . 100% perfect so we went back to the car for a jackpot.

Then we did a bit of heelwork - went ok but she got a timeout for missing a sit up in her COP. Oh boy did she think I was mean but guess what she came out and did it perfectly.

Gloves she decided to have a blonde day. Wouldn't wait so I think I did more tying her back up again then we did actual retrieves but still by the end she kept her brain together enough to take direction to the glove I wanted her to get and not just head off before I gave her the direction.

Kenz - well she just got to supervise :D .

Does anyone have any fun/different stay games we can play? I really want them to be solid before I enter her in anything.

Do you mean games in terms of something that makes stays a little more interesting to teach rather than distraction-type stuff?

Do you mean games in terms of something that makes stays a little more interesting to teach rather than distraction-type stuff?

Hmm bit of both probably - we do a lot of distraction training but I would love any ideas on games to play or ways to make them more interesting. Daisy's down stays are just very average and not as reliable as I would like them.

ETA: Also for those who are trialling/going to trial - how often do you practice group stays? I am finding it hard to find more than one or two dogs at a time to be able to practice groups with.

Edited by huski

I have thrown toys/food around over the head of the dog. Played the steady feet game for stands but you can do it with downs and sit stays too. Try and lure them out of position :laugh: .

Huski part of the reason I still train at a club and haven't totally given away club training is for group stays and ring practice.

I have thrown toys/food around over the head of the dog. Played the steady feet game for stands but you can do it with downs and sit stays too. Try and lure them out of position :laugh:

Thanks for the suggestions Ness, I do most of that now, it's just duration we seem to have a problem with when it comes to down stays.

Huski part of the reason I still train at a club and haven't totally given away club training is for group stays and ring practice.

I know, but our trialling class seems to do them sporadically and often not in trialling style (i.e. they'll leave the dogs wherever they are instead of lining them up, or will put them in a circle etc, which is ok, but I want to practice doing them the 'traditional' way LOL).

I guess I am lazy and the only down stay practice Ness gets is once a week at club and thats only if I stay till the end :rofl: . Betcha is gonna come back and bite me. Will have to make an effort to stay till the end of training this week.

Good thing about having multiple dogs - is you have your own stay line up - isn't that right Ptolomy :laugh::rofl: :D :D :rofl: .

I decided to join the local club today as Cider is in need to some distraction training. I did some work outside the clubhouse while the lady swept the verandah, this had Ciderbear in a spin and staying focused was very difficult. Working around an agility tunnel proved easy as did working 30m from the heeling group. Stand stays are improving!

Will start her agility training tomorrow night, but will do some obedience training while I am there as well.

What club have you joined? I bet they were watching you in awe :laugh: .