Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

Until you can sort out whats causing the problem I wouldn't be asking her to wait for her dinner. I would also feed her whole meal from you as rewards for very small behaviours. You'll get a lot of training in and it'll teach her to focus on you. If she goes a bit hungry it means that she should be extra hungry the next day. Don't make a big deal of it but don't reward her when she's squirming.

You don't have to send in your paperwork for our CCD if you don't want to :thumbsup: I nearly didn't for my HT but then thought bugger it I want the certificate.

Have an interesting problem with my pup. She is super submissive about food. No idea why. No human has given her a hard time about it but ask her to wait for her dinner and she is on her back squirming. This is also translating into her wait/stays. If I am not super careful she is on her back. I am just trying to be super cheerful and tell her how good she is and not asking for too long. She isn't super submissive in other areas so it is weird. I normally do TOT but haven't with her as I don't like the distress. Any ideas?

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Have an interesting problem with my pup. She is super submissive about food. No idea why. No human has given her a hard time about it but ask her to wait for her dinner and she is on her back squirming. This is also translating into her wait/stays. If I am not super careful she is on her back. I am just trying to be super cheerful and tell her how good she is and not asking for too long. She isn't super submissive in other areas so it is weird. I normally do TOT but haven't with her as I don't like the distress. Any ideas?

Is this a new problem - or have you seen it gradually creeping in?

Can you make giving her her food more fun - like throwing it for her to catch - or playing the two food game.

I have Never had this problem in fact, like Bedazzled, I have the opposite problem - I am more like to lose fingers when handing out treats :thumbsup:

No it didn't gradually creep in - she did it from day one! Totally spun me out too. I need to video it. I have not seen any pup react like this.

I get her to sit for her dinner but release her straight away.

She turns her head totally away too.

Went down to the park again today and there was a small group of kids and adults playing soccer. The kids were having their own game but stopped and came to sit and watch Daisy and I training :confused: I let them have a pat (while putting her in a stand/stay) and she only moved her back legs once whilst three or so of them were patting her :laugh: I also used a couple of them as figure eight posts :) They are always most impressed by her doing a hi-10 though and when I told them we train her for competitions they said she was sure to win with that "hi-10 thing she does" - awww :laugh:

You gotta love a retreiver!

Was cleaning up the back deck today and my sunglasses fell off my head, bounced down the stairs and of course ended up under the house.

The top end of the house doesn't have much space under it, so it would've taken a great deal of crouched crawling to get them back, and most likely a shower!! :thumbsup: Had a thought, called Darcy and sent her on a rescue mission for me.

She headed in that general direction and then got diverted by a few smells under there but then came back to sniff my glasses at which I gave her a big "YES" and then "Pick it up" which she did :thumbsup: Brought them back to me and didn't even put a mark on them.

She got a handful of yesterday's steak for that effort. Good girl Darce! :champagne:

Went down to the park again today and there was a small group of kids and adults playing soccer. The kids were having their own game but stopped and came to sit and watch Daisy and I training :champagne: I let them have a pat (while putting her in a stand/stay) and she only moved her back legs once whilst three or so of them were patting her :cheer: I also used a couple of them as figure eight posts :thumbsup: They are always most impressed by her doing a hi-10 though and when I told them we train her for competitions they said she was sure to win with that "hi-10 thing she does" - awww :cheers:

You can't half tell that you are really enjoy your training at the moment. :love:

Next time you need to take you scent articles and have the kids put them out for you. :thumbsup:

Went down to the park again today and there was a small group of kids and adults playing soccer. The kids were having their own game but stopped and came to sit and watch Daisy and I training :champagne: I let them have a pat (while putting her in a stand/stay) and she only moved her back legs once whilst three or so of them were patting her :) I also used a couple of them as figure eight posts :thumbsup: They are always most impressed by her doing a hi-10 though and when I told them we train her for competitions they said she was sure to win with that "hi-10 thing she does" - awww :cheers:

You can't half tell that you are really enjoy your training at the moment. :eek:

Next time you need to take you scent articles and have the kids put them out for you. :thumbsup:

LOL it's not terribly obvious is it :love::cheer:

Hmmm the scent discrim idea is quite a good one!

I am trying to get Daisy out and about to lots of distracting places at various times of day to prepare her better for trialling.

So how are Daisy's line ups and finishes coming along?

Good! I posted a video of them earlier in the thread but I think you missed it :thumbsup: Will see if I can do another tomorrow night a training.

ETA: found the vid... they are half way through :thumbsup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEvz2veHqZQ

She is much better with her backend awareness now and we've incorporated the smarter looking LATs into our heelwork now, still not quite 100% but getting there :champagne:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4ZcNZGS72o

Edited by huski

ETA: found the vid... they are half way through :champagne:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEvz2veHqZQ

She is much better with her backend awareness now and we've incorporated the smarter looking LATs into our heelwork now, still not quite 100% but getting there :thumbsup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4ZcNZGS72o

Yep I did miss it and WOW haven't you improved since I saw you - thats just amazing :thumbsup: Good work Huski :cheers:

Had an absolute ball today at the Retrieving Training Day! What a RUSH to watch your dog perform what they were bred for, to watch their instincts kick in :o While Ruby is lacking confidence in venturing too far on her own to keep looking for the dummy (will introduce to birdies at a later stage!), I was super proud of her diving into the river, up the bank, then into the river again on the other side of that bank and up again. 2 river crosses and still looking :rofl: But the dummy landed on the bank another level up from her, so she needed a bit of help to understand to look up there. Loved watching her speed and enthusiasm as she took off in pursuit of the retrieve :rofl: And she wasn't freaked out by the gunshot going off next to her :rofl:

Now I just need to figure out how to train properly for retrieving, cos boy I think I'm hooked :o

Edited by RubyStar

I've been reading about training more than actually training lately :o . I'm loving the 'agility right from the start' book. Hopefully I can take Banjo to training tomorrow night, he's been out of action with conjuctivitis and sore feet :rofl: .

Had an absolute ball today at the Retrieving Training Day! What a RUSH to watch your dog perform what they were bred for, to watch their instincts kick in :o While Ruby is lacking confidence in venturing too far on her own to keep looking for the dummy (will introduce to birdies at a later stage!), I was super proud of her diving into the river, up the bank, then into the river again on the other side of that bank and up again. 2 river crosses and still looking :rofl: But the dummy landed on the bank another level up from her, so she needed a bit of help to understand to look up there. Loved watching her speed and enthusiasm as she took off in pursuit of the retrieve :rofl: And she wasn't freaked out by the gunshot going off next to her :rofl:

Now I just need to figure out how to train properly for retrieving, cos boy I think I'm hooked :o

You're going to be busy :D .

Anyone got any good tips on stopping a dog from pulling on lead? Mason has started this up again and if we are in an area with other dogs he just seems to want to tow me around no matter what I do. I have tried pulling him back to me and just stopping, I have tried going the other way, but so far he doesnt seem bothered by either of those 2 things.

Anyone got any good tips on stopping a dog from pulling on lead? Mason has started this up again and if we are in an area with other dogs he just seems to want to tow me around no matter what I do. I have tried pulling him back to me and just stopping, I have tried going the other way, but so far he doesnt seem bothered by either of those 2 things.

I don't know if you watch Cesar Milan but I'm a big fan and I can now walk my pack of three dogs on a loose lead beside me :thumbsup: .

Hi, I have been training dogs for over 20 years now and love a good challenge, I have tought at club levels ( several clubs) and also out on my own, I have a dog training bussiness here in west Gippsland with quite a few of the ladies doing trial work with good success, I use treats or a sent towell, much the same way as the custom dogs are taught, working on the dogs prey drive and rewarding when exersice is completed. Hope this is of some help.

Hi, I have been training dogs for over 20 years now and love a good challenge, I have tought at club levels ( several clubs) and also out on my own, I have a dog training bussiness here in west Gippsland with quite a few of the ladies doing trial work with good success, I use treats or a sent towell, much the same way as the custom dogs are taught, working on the dogs prey drive and rewarding when exersice is completed. Hope this is of some help.