Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

I just got back from a particularly good training session at the park! I thought I'd drive to a park nearby for something different, I've been there a few times and there's usually a few people around and I knew they had football/soccer training on there sometimes but never knew when, well this afternoon there was footy practice on. So we practiced directed retrieve with a football flying into the middle of where we were working, followed by signals with more flying footballs! Also did a few seekbacks to start with while the kids were warming up.

Then decided to do articles next to a path that runs around the park, a huge rotti walked past on leash (thankfully) she ignored him and found the article, then a few moments later a cyclist rode past less than a metre from her articles and 2 kids on horses (YES HORSES) rode by just behind where we were working and came only a few metres from us to ask me the time. Ella didn't look at ANY of this!!!

I hit the jackpot with distractions and short of a ball landing smack bang in the middle of her articles I don't think I could have asked for much more in the distractions stakes! :eek: Very proud of my girl!

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow your achievements make my question look like a bit dumb!

What do you do to keep your heeling speed even. I have sorted out my footwork (although what the other people in the park thought I was doing is anyone's guess lol) I have sorted out walking strainght while sneeking a subtle look at Cindy but my speed is all over the place. How can I keep it even. I have a bad ankle so I tend to be on the slow side.

Sounds like Ella was on fire this afternoon Seita!

Quick update of Daisy's backend awareness... she's come along in leaps and bounds, I have the flat book down just because she wasn't getting going from a step/upturned bucket to the ground. It seems as long as she has something to target she can do it easily.

Shortly after filming this vid she started to 'get it' on the ground with nothing to stand on so hopefully over the weekend she will really get the hang of it :laugh: I am determined to have her trained on the nicer LAT instead of the around the back one by the time we trial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEvz2veHqZQ

(this is my beagle who had practically no backend awareness!)

ETA: Oh I added in some heel position practice for Ptolomy :rofl: :rofl: I was so excited - she picked her bum up and swung it around right at the end!

Edited by huski

Sounds like Ella was on fire this afternoon Seita!

Quick update of Daisy's backend awareness... she's come along in leaps and bounds, I have the flat book down just because she wasn't getting going from a step/upturned bucket to the ground. It seems as long as she has something to target she can do it easily.

Shortly after filming this vid she started to 'get it' on the ground with nothing to stand on so hopefully over the weekend she will really get the hang of it :rofl: I am determined to have her trained on the nicer LAT instead of the around the back one by the time we trial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEvz2veHqZQ

(this is my beagle who had practically no backend awareness!)

ETA: Oh I added in some heel position practice for Ptolomy ;) ;) I was so excited - she picked her bum up and swung it around right at the end!

Good work! She is working so nicely!

Quick question. If I enter my trials until the end of August now and I get 3 passes in JD by the end of July (hypothetically :provoke: ) what happens to my entries in August, do I call and change to exellent or do I have to run in Novice as NFC?

You can contact them before the closing date and they will put you up to Excellent, but if you get your third pass after the closing date you will have to run in Novice. (at least that's how it was explained to me!)

You can contact them before the closing date and they will put you up to Excellent, but if you get your third pass after the closing date you will have to run in Novice. (at least that's how it was explained to me!)

If you won does it still count as a win? :provoke: Not that I think I will get three passes anytime soon or win!

Lol I am such a newb. :wave:

Edited by valleyCBR

From my understanding, if you get your 3 passes before the closing date, you need to contact the trial secretary and be moved up if you don't wish to scratch your dog, as you can't enter a trial of a class you have your 3 passes in unless the closing date has passed. If closing date has passed and you have your 3 passes, you can run that class and use it as a freebie round :provoke:

From my understanding, if you get your 3 passes before the closing date, you need to contact the trial secretary and be moved up if you don't wish to scratch your dog, as you can't enter a trial of a class you have your 3 passes in unless the closing date has passed. If closing date has passed and you have your 3 passes, you can run that class and use it as a freebie round :provoke:

Thanks RS. Are you doing Midland Obidience Trial? If so I will come and watch because its nice and close to home. :wave:

Thanks RS. Are you doing Midland Obidience Trial? If so I will come and watch because its nice and close to home. :provoke:

I'm maybe doing that one with Sophie, just when I think we're ready there's always something else to work on :wave: .

Thanks RS. Are you doing Midland Obidience Trial? If so I will come and watch because its nice and close to home. :wave:

When is that one Valley, I would also like to watch.

When is that one Valley, I would also like to watch.

Saturday June 5th, it has an AM and PM trial. :D