Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

Start by training the drop in close. When you have that successfully on cue you can test it by chucking in a drop command anytime informally around the house, in the yard and at the park. Then gradually increase the distance. I never practice a formal DOR but if I call the dogs when we are out walking or they are hooning in the park I'll throw in a drop command. If they do it promptly I know I can join the dots and put it in a formal DOR. I often throw the treat or ball either to them or over their heads.

Does anybody have any successful techniques for training Drop on recall . I havn't started teaching this and is our only open exercise that we havn't started training . Whats the best way to start teaching this ?

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't do classes - I don't get much out of them and it's really just too long. I get constantly 'nagged' to go into class but I never do unless it's for group stays or a few minutes of a heelwork pattern. Plus, I'm training 3 dogs at the moment so it's really not conducive to class work!

If my club had a rule that I couldn't do that -- then I wouldn't go there. You need to be comfortable with how you train - it's not worth staying around if you don't agree with methods or if they're not flexible with things.

Totally agree TerraNik :) . I just started at a new club who is fine with me doing my own thing on the sidelines. Had a really good night :laugh: .

Start by training the drop in close. When you have that successfully on cue you can test it by chucking in a drop command anytime informally around the house, in the yard and at the park. Then gradually increase the distance. I never practice a formal DOR but if I call the dogs when we are out walking or they are hooning in the park I'll throw in a drop command. If they do it promptly I know I can join the dots and put it in a formal DOR. I often throw the treat or ball either to them or over their heads.
Does anybody have any successful techniques for training Drop on recall . I havn't started teaching this and is our only open exercise that we havn't started training . Whats the best way to start teaching this ?

Thanks will try to get him more responsive to his drops (maybe as a game ) , i was told a method that held some concerns for me and i felt would cause some hesitation with the drop and the speed of recall later on down the track . so i thought what better place to ask for advice !!!! :)

Thanks will give this a try . :laugh:

After not working on it for AGES I decided to get the box out today to work on Daisy's back end awareness. She could go one way around the box (ala the elephant trick) but not the way I needed for left about turns. I've been trying for ages to get her to walk around it towards my left but she just wouldn't get it. Well for some reason today the light bulb went off and she was doing it in a matter of minutes :thumbsup: Now she'll speed around the box towards my left leg. I really want to train a nice LAT instead of the around the back one we do now and I feel like we are one step closer to getting there now.

Edited by huski

Does anyone have a link to this steady feet game? I would be interested in seeing if I can apply it to Lincoln's show stack. :thumbsup:

I dont have a link to it but I have been using that game after I was shown how to play it. It really does teach them to be very steady in their stands.

Does anyone have a link to this steady feet game? I would be interested in seeing if I can apply it to Lincoln's show stack. :thumbsup:

On the first disc of the Moe Strenfel dvd you lent me she does the steady feet game, I think she calls it the zen game. She was using it for start line stays.

On the first disc of the Moe Strenfel dvd you lent me she does the steady feet game, I think she calls it the zen game. She was using it for start line stays.

Ok, I have the first disc on my ipod, so I will have to watch it. Thanks :cry:

Good one Huski :thumbsup: Gotta luv latent learning!!!! Here's a good link http://www.youtube.com/user/agilityparson#p/u/0/K0myW8ukm94

After not working on it for AGES I decided to get the box out today to work on Daisy's back end awareness. She could go one way around the box (ala the elephant trick) but not the way I needed for left about turns. I've been trying for ages to get her to walk around it towards my left but she just wouldn't get it. Well for some reason today the light bulb went off and she was doing it in a matter of minutes :cry: Now she'll speed around the box towards my left leg. I really want to train a nice LAT instead of the around the back one we do now and I feel like we are one step closer to getting there now.

Here's Brookie's Drop on Recall taught this way. I taught him a fold back down first so that is his default.

Thanks will try to get him more responsive to his drops (maybe as a game ) , i was told a method that held some concerns for me and i felt would cause some hesitation with the drop and the speed of recall later on down the track . so i thought what better place to ask for advice !!!! :cry:

Thanks will give this a try . :thumbsup:

Good one Huski :thumbsup: Gotta luv latent learning!!!! Here's a good link http://www.youtube.com/user/agilityparson#p/u/0/K0myW8ukm94

Thanks Bedazzled, I've seen that one before and it's great!

Daisy was a really good girl at training tonight, here's a snippet of some heelwork;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31OwniDW8hE

It was not the best from the whole night, but alas at least we caught something on camera! :laugh:

nice work :thumbsup::laugh:

Good one Huski :laugh: Gotta luv latent learning!!!! Here's a good link http://www.youtube.com/user/agilityparson#p/u/0/K0myW8ukm94

Thanks Bedazzled, I've seen that one before and it's great!

Daisy was a really good girl at training tonight, here's a snippet of some heelwork;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31OwniDW8hE

It was not the best from the whole night, but alas at least we caught something on camera! :eek:

This evening Kivi discovered he can reach a target above his head by jumping! :thumbsup:

We don't have very mainstream aims, here. :laugh: Kivi is so laid back and mellow I was honestly thinking he would never be motivated enough to jump for a target. There's about four things in the entire world that gets Kivi motivated and excited enough to jump. I'm feeling pretty chuffed with us for artificially creating something that makes the list. :laugh: He's such a cutie, he is bopping up on his hind legs carefully enough to land his nose right on target.

His hip targeting is also coming along still. He can now do the pivot exercise on good days with hip targeting. It's a nice enough alternative to the box version for a dog that was utterly oblivious to the box.

Seek back update: I've started dropping the article around a metre from the start peg every once in a while. I'm not doing it every time because I want her to always go back to the peg to start looking. She has started scanning with her eyes as she runs back to the start peg and if she doesn't see it she's then dropping her nose to the ground and starts sniffing for it! I'm pretty pleased with how she's progressing, hopefully within the next week or two she'll be able to do a seek back regardless of where I drop the article!

On another note, I've started fine tuning presents, finishes and RATs (she tends to go a bit wide in those). What sort of games/exercises to others use to fine tune these things? I'm just playing with position against my leg regardless of where I move and also doing recalls from a range of angles and throwing something to retrieve off in different directions to work on these things, but I can see it getting boring pretty quickly does anyone have other little exercises to help work on these niggly little things?

I am getting wide RAT & LAT turns too. Nosy BC syndrome? They are nice and close whilst I am working on them but in the midst of a heeling pattern Poppy is going wide. Think Ness was having the same thing with Kenzie?