Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

I don't bite...honest!!! :D I was judging the stays ring and then the open ring so I didn't see you. There will be another show n go at the shepherd club on 27th July.

We'll be there :rofl: .

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well I am a happy mummy again, Mason worked so well in class today ( and for fish as he cant have other meat) he was great, the instructor made us tie our leads to our belts and get them to loose lead walk and heel etc ( both of which are Masons falldown) but he did really well, even added in some automatic sits :rofl: Will be meeting up with our mentor tonight to just get some extra tips etc and help with our turns but I am much happier than I was last weekend :D His best friend in class got up during the down stays and was wondering around, I saw him look at her and thought here we go he is going to get up but he didnt move :D

Well done Mason :laugh: .

Had a good session tonight as well he was very well behaved and I am much happier with him in general :D

RubyStar when I was getting my scone ;) I overheard a lady saying how beautiful Millie was working :D .

:D Are you sure they meant my dog? I wanna know who said that now :rofl: Millie was so hot the poor sod, I really had to keep the treats flowing to keep her motivation up. Very proud of her SFE, though, I keep asking her when she's going to teach her sister Ruby how to do it :D

Due to the heat, there was no way I was going to ask Ruby to do any heelwork, so we just did the Open exercises minus the heelwork. After missing the cue on her first DOR because she got distracted by what could have possibly been remnants of food on the ground, we repeated the exercise and she did a very nice, speedy DOR :laugh:

Saw your dogs in the ring, not sure which dog is which, but the second one you had in the ring worked lovely ;)

Edited by RubyStar

We went to the practice trial today. I saw you there RubyStar and bedazzled :laugh: . So :D we need a whole lot of distraction training. The dogs especially Banjo were so distracted it felt like it was our first day at training :rofl: . So I'm joining a couple of clubs this week. One brag was both dogs did the SFE with very limited training :D .

Tiggy what sort of training have you done for distractions - have you tried working on your front lawn, then on your front lawn with teddies and food containers on the ground and then working down the footpath and then at the local oval with nobody around and then another different oval the list goes on.

Tiggy, I think the problem for most people today was the heat, there were actually very minimal distractions around. Dogs were laggy cos it was so darn hot!

And my question is to those gurus out there, how do you motivate a dog to work in the heat? Or you just plain can't?

[quSo Roy was doing the judging????? Roy always comes and helps for the shown n go's - he's a good lad!

Roy and Deb are superstars :D Both standing in the HOT sun, neither with hats on, and not sure I even saw a water bottle! :laugh:

Big thanks to you both for giving up your time and risking sunstroke for us!!

Well I am a happy mummy again, Mason worked so well in class today ( and for fish as he cant have other meat) he was great, the instructor made us tie our leads to our belts and get them to loose lead walk and heel etc ( both of which are Masons falldown) but he did really well, even added in some automatic sits :laugh: Will be meeting up with our mentor tonight to just get some extra tips etc and help with our turns but I am much happier than I was last weekend :D His best friend in class got up during the down stays and was wondering around, I saw him look at her and thought here we go he is going to get up but he didnt move :D

Awesome!! See, when you have good sessions, you remember why you're doing it and why you enjoy it :rofl:

I don't bite...honest!!! :laugh: I was judging the stays ring and then the open ring so I didn't see you. There will be another show n go at the shepherd club on 27th July.

I'm bummed that yet again I missed out on the stays! Missed out at the last show n go too :D Seems they always get the last group together while I'm in the ring. Reeeeaally need to practice those stays, with both girls!

We went to the practice trial today. I saw you there RubyStar and bedazzled :laugh: . So :D we need a whole lot of distraction training. The dogs especially Banjo were so distracted it felt like it was our first day at training :rofl: . So I'm joining a couple of clubs this week. One brag was both dogs did the SFE with very limited training :D .

Tiggy what sort of training have you done for distractions - have you tried working on your front lawn, then on your front lawn with teddies and food containers on the ground and then working down the footpath and then at the local oval with nobody around and then another different oval the list goes on.

Tiggy, I think the problem for most people today was the heat, there were actually very minimal distractions around. Dogs were laggy cos it was so darn hot!

And my question is to those gurus out there, how do you motivate a dog to work in the heat? Or you just plain can't?

Quite a few of the dark dogs at the club trial today had coats on to keep the sun off, I think I will only do night trials in the summer when I compete, Mason attracts the sun like no tomorrow being black and he doesnt work well in heat at all.

I've thought about getting my girls a cool coat each, but I honestly don't think that will help their motivation to work in the heat. I will possibly scratch the girls in any trials that are too hot for them.

In summer the trials are only at night, then they move the trials to day time when it gets cooler, but in my opinion, it should move to day trials at least a month later than they currently do now, because it's still often quite hot this time of year still! I reckon May should be the beginning of day trials at the minimum!

Edited by RubyStar

Not Ptolomy or Bedazzledx2 but I had a conversation with Sue H about working dogs in the heat and her view now was she use to get out there and proof them against working in really warm conditions but over the years decided it wasn't worth it. If its hot and the dog isn't happy then she doesn't worry. Some dogs cope better in the heat then others.

I do think the cool coats help some if Ness's Saturday performance is anything to go by as she is certainly one for lagging and getting slow in the warmer weather.

Bedazzled and I have the Cool CHampion Cool Coats but we have just ordered a Shammy one each - we have heard good things about them and they are less than half the price of the other ones - so we will let you know what we think when they arrive,

Pat on the back Rubystar for not dragging you kids around heeling in the heat when you knew that it was never going to be pretty :D

Bedazzled and I have the Cool CHampion Cool Coats but we have just ordered a Shammy one each - we have heard good things about them and they are less than half the price of the other ones - so we will let you know what we think when they arrive,

Pat on the back Rubystar for not dragging you kids around heeling in the heat when you knew that it was never going to be pretty :D

Where have your ordered the Shammy one's from? I am going to have to think about getting Mason a coat just for club training on a sunday, we do most of our work in the shade but the heelwork is obviously in the sun and after 2 or 3 minutes he is just too hot :laugh: