Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

We went to the practice trial today. I saw you there RubyStar and bedazzled :laugh: . So :eek: we need a whole lot of distraction training. The dogs especially Banjo were so distracted it felt like it was our first day at training :o . So I'm joining a couple of clubs this week. One brag was both dogs did the SFE with very limited training :thumbsup: .

Tiggy what sort of training have you done for distractions - have you tried working on your front lawn, then on your front lawn with teddies and food containers on the ground and then working down the footpath and then at the local oval with nobody around and then another different oval the list goes on.

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tiggy what sort of training have you done for distractions - have you tried working on your front lawn, then on your front lawn with teddies and food containers on the ground and then working down the footpath and then at the local oval with nobody around and then another different oval the list goes on.

I've done all that and they're fine. I think the problem was having them both there they were looking for each other. I'll be joining two clubs this week which will be good practice for having one in the crate while I train the other then swapping. Banjo is much more panicky about wanting to find Sophie. I'm actually feeling good about it though because now I know what I need to work on :thumbsup: .

I like Banjo's focus in this photo :thumbsup: . This was SFE.

015-2.jpg

So Roy was doing the judging????? Roy always comes and helps for the shown n go's - he's a good lad!

Yep nice focus - but must ask - how long is the lead you are using?

Edited by Ptolomy

Just took Daisy to the park for a training session. She was not as switched on as normal but did ok - we went to park she'd never trained at before, that was full of distractions (would be one of the most popular parks in Brissy).

Ptolomy I think she's definitely got the hang of getting in the right position with the flip finish now, you can see she is consciously trying to swing her bum into the right position, I only had to give her a NRM a couple of times at the start of our session today and then she did the rest really nicely.

Edited by huski

Ptolomy I think she's definitely got the hang of getting in the right position with the flip finish now, you can see she is consciously trying to swing her bum into the right position, I only had to give her a NRM a couple of times at the start of our session today and then she did the rest really nicely.

So where's the video???? :thumbsup:

well Ella is progressing along nicely with her retraining of the seek back. I'm still dropping it at the start peg and I can do as many turns as I like and walk a good distance from the start peg (currently going about normal distance for a trial but will probably extend that longer just to make sure) and she rockets back to the start peg to start looking for the article now! I think in the next few sessions I'll start to drop it a step or two from the peg and start increasing how far from the peg it is gradually! But she's come along soo far since I started retraining it!

On another note she did a lovely scent discrimination under distraction this arvo! There's all these kids in the park behind my house and I put the articles out next to a path and as I was doing it I had a few kids come up and ask what I was doing. They ended up hanging around about 2-3 metres from my articles watching and there were other kids walking along the path nearby too and she didn't even look at them! :thumbsup:

I'm gonna have to start finding more distracting places to train now to really proof her!

well Ella is progressing along nicely with her retraining of the seek back. I'm still dropping it at the start peg and I can do as many turns as I like and walk a good distance from the start peg (currently going about normal distance for a trial but will probably extend that longer just to make sure) and she rockets back to the start peg to start looking for the article now! I think in the next few sessions I'll start to drop it a step or two from the peg and start increasing how far from the peg it is gradually! But she's come along soo far since I started retraining it!

On another note she did a lovely scent discrimination under distraction this arvo! There's all these kids in the park behind my house and I put the articles out next to a path and as I was doing it I had a few kids come up and ask what I was doing. They ended up hanging around about 2-3 metres from my articles watching and there were other kids walking along the path nearby too and she didn't even look at them! :thumbsup:

I'm gonna have to start finding more distracting places to train now to really proof her!

Seita next time get the kids to put the articles out for you and then the individual article out once you have scented it.

Good news with the seekback!

Edited by Ptolomy

Well I am a happy mummy again, Mason worked so well in class today ( and for fish as he cant have other meat) he was great, the instructor made us tie our leads to our belts and get them to loose lead walk and heel etc ( both of which are Masons falldown) but he did really well, even added in some automatic sits :laugh: Will be meeting up with our mentor tonight to just get some extra tips etc and help with our turns but I am much happier than I was last weekend :eek: His best friend in class got up during the down stays and was wondering around, I saw him look at her and thought here we go he is going to get up but he didnt move :thumbsup:

Well I am a happy mummy again, Mason worked so well in class today ( and for fish as he cant have other meat) he was great, the instructor made us tie our leads to our belts and get them to loose lead walk and heel etc ( both of which are Masons falldown) but he did really well, even added in some automatic sits :cry: Will be meeting up with our mentor tonight to just get some extra tips etc and help with our turns but I am much happier than I was last weekend :cry: His best friend in class got up during the down stays and was wondering around, I saw him look at her and thought here we go he is going to get up but he didnt move :rofl:

Well done Mason :D .