Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

Yes I've seen that before, I stumbled across her blog last year and there was a post about this method. Think I posted somewhere on here about it asking others opinions, too. I think it's interesting, she looks to be a really great trainer, so I don't doubt her method! Though I'm not sure it's for me.

Her blog is http://www.fannygott.com and that blog post about this method is http://www.fannygott.com/clicker-training-heeling

There is a video somewhere of her training her English Setter puppy to pivot, it is really good!! :heart:

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes I've seen that before, I stumbled across her blog last year and there was a post about this method. Think I posted somewhere on here about it asking others opinions, too. I think it's interesting, she looks to be a really great trainer, so I don't doubt her method! Though I'm not sure it's for me.

Her blog is http://www.fannygott.com and that blog post about this method is http://www.fannygott.com/clicker-training-heeling

There is a video somewhere of her training her English Setter puppy to pivot, it is really good!! :heart:

I tried it out with Mason quickly and I must say he is more eager to stay with me and look at me if I am walking backwards but he also ends up stepping on my feet as i dont walk backwards fast enough lol :eek:

Just wanted to post that I'm no longer going to put a time frame on when we'll be ready to trial because when I do I start to get nervous and stop having fun, so I'm just going to keep training and when we're ready we're ready! Today I was feeling like maybe I didn't want to trial in obedience but I've already changed my mind again because I do love it.

So huski how did you bribe Ptolomy for the private lesson :) . I haven't had one and I'm in WA :D although I'd probably end up :love::love: .

No it wasn't a private lesson it was afternoon tea and I couldn't help myself - a beagle was on my wish list before I discovered duck dogs.

So huski how did you bribe Ptolomy for the private lesson :) . I haven't had one and I'm in WA :D although I'd probably end up :thumbsup::love: .

No it wasn't a private lesson it was afternoon tea and I couldn't help myself - a beagle was on my wish list before I discovered duck dogs.

I still can't imagine you with a Beagle :love: .

So huski how did you bribe Ptolomy for the private lesson :) . I haven't had one and I'm in WA :D although I'd probably end up :love::love: .

I must admit I have a soft spot for beagles and corgi's, dont know if I will ever end up getting one coz I love my labs too but they are cool. :thumbsup:

So huski how did you bribe Ptolomy for the private lesson :) . I haven't had one and I'm in WA :D although I'd probably end up :cheers::love: .

And I'm sure after meeting Daisy yesterday you are definitely not regretting that decision :love:

MasonsMum I was telling Ptolomy yesterday that part of me would really like a breed like a Toller just to see what it's like to have a dog like that but there is just something about beagles that makes me want to own ten :thumbsup:

Just wanted to post that I'm no longer going to put a time frame on when we'll be ready to trial because when I do I start to get nervous and stop having fun, so I'm just going to keep training and when we're ready we're ready! Today I was feeling like maybe I didn't want to trial in obedience but I've already changed my mind again because I do love it.

I get pretty nervous when I'm in the ring . You'll be amazed at how red my face goes from just being nervous. The more i trial the less nervous i have become and i think the reason for that is having confidence in Diesel Knowing that no matter how nervous or not nervous i am he will still do what i ask from him and when it does go pear shaped at least i get a good laugh from it :cheers: . Don't put too much pressure on yourself have fun with it ! Maybe we could arrange a little cheer leading squad for you :) :D :love: :love: :thumbsup:

So huski how did you bribe Ptolomy for the private lesson :) . I haven't had one and I'm in WA :D although I'd probably end up :laugh::love: .

And I'm sure after meeting Daisy yesterday you are definitely not regretting that decision :love:

MasonsMum I was telling Ptolomy yesterday that part of me would really like a breed like a Toller just to see what it's like to have a dog like that but there is just something about beagles that makes me want to own ten :thumbsup:

I know what you mean, I thought to myself many times that I should have gotten a collie or something thats eager to please me but I have always wanted a lab and now I have one :laugh: Rubystar has proven that labs can do well in obedience when they are trained nicely so now I just have to learn how to train him :cheers:

I know what you mean, I thought to myself many times that I should have gotten a collie or something thats eager to please me but I have always wanted a lab and now I have one :love: Rubystar has proven that labs can do well in obedience when they are trained nicely so now I just have to learn how to train him :D

I see labs in ring up here all the time! I always thought they were generally eager to please, maybe that's just in comparison to my dog :)

I get pretty nervous when I'm in the ring . You'll be amazed at how red my face goes from just being nervous. The more i trial the less nervous i have become and i think the reason for that is having confidence in Diesel Knowing that no matter how nervous or not nervous i am he will still do what i ask from him and when it does go pear shaped at least i get a good laugh from it :cheers: . Don't put too much pressure on yourself have fun with it ! Maybe we could arrange a little cheer leading squad for you :) :D :love: :love: :thumbsup:

Thanks for the cheer squad :laugh: .

I know what you mean, I thought to myself many times that I should have gotten a collie or something thats eager to please me but I have always wanted a lab and now I have one :thumbsup: Rubystar has proven that labs can do well in obedience when they are trained nicely so now I just have to learn how to train him :love:

I see labs in ring up here all the time! I always thought they were generally eager to please, maybe that's just in comparison to my dog :D

:love: I figure Huski - if you can train Daisy, you can train almost anything! :)

LOL TN - I don't know how "trained" Daisy really is but she's not too difficult to handle (although having said that, I only have my Siberian for comparison :))

Edited by huski

So huski how did you bribe Ptolomy for the private lesson :laugh: . I haven't had one and I'm in WA :D although I'd probably end up ;) :D .

A Beagle was on my wishlist until I discovered the Aussies... and it's all LP's fault!!! I'd still love a Beagle after the Aussie :eek:

ETA: By wishlist, I mean going to get list! Definitely getting that Aussie one day, just wish that day was soon and not in a few years :rofl:

Edited by RubyStar

Hi :D

Just wanted pop in and say I started obedience this morning at the Dover Dog Club. Both Peggie and Spot graduated to level 2 obedience on their first lesson! :laugh:

Also we had our second flyball class, both dogs are really catching on well. :D

I know what you mean, I thought to myself many times that I should have gotten a collie or something thats eager to please me but I have always wanted a lab and now I have one :D Rubystar has proven that labs can do well in obedience when they are trained nicely so now I just have to learn how to train him :D

I see labs in ring up here all the time! I always thought they were generally eager to please, maybe that's just in comparison to my dog :laugh:

He is eager to please me but he would rather stare at other dogs etc, there is a beagle in our class and she has her nose to the floor the whole class...

We went to the practice trial today. I saw you there RubyStar and bedazzled :laugh: . So :eek: we need a whole lot of distraction training. The dogs especially Banjo were so distracted it felt like it was our first day at training :o . So I'm joining a couple of clubs this week. One brag was both dogs did the SFE with very limited training :thumbsup: .