Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

My question for the week is - feet! :laugh: Who does the T feet stuff and who just turns. And if you just turn how do you turn? lol. I am thinking so hard about my feet that I have a delay each time I am asked to turn. Doesn't look very smart. Seeing as I have been doing the T turns for years and years it is obviously not going to become muscle memory! Watched some You Tube last night but the people I like move so smartly that I can't see what they are actually doing with their feet.

Jedi's turned sucked until I started doing 'T-turns' footwork - now my body language is much more predictable and his turns are cleaner.

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello all.. i am very new to agility and am currently googling ways to make the equipment and have come across these weave poles .. http://www.instantagility.com/2008/05/05/a...el-weave-poles/

is this a good way to teach them? or is there a better way? Would the pvc on the ground not hinder the dog?

Hmmm I don't like it personally because of all the PVC, especially the stuff on the ground which could affect foot work, I think you're better off with stick in the ground spikes (if you have ground that can have spikes stuck into it :laugh: ) or 2x2 weave bases like the have at training (have you seen them? )

Guest RosieFT

Amypie- taht is what i was thinking, re the pvc along the ground, where would the tiny foxie feet go??? LOL... i have not seen teh 2x2 bases.. will have a look... i have got grass, so can put them into the ground... but i don't even know the distances to use :laugh: . I assume weaves are standard for all height dogs?

What actually are t-turns?

Yeah I'm interested in knowing what a T turn is aswell ? can anyone explain more ???.....................

Where you are making a right turn - so you take a step with your right foot and your left foot makes the top of the T as you turn right......

The same for left turns so step with your left foot and as you step with your right foot you place it so it forms the top of the T as you turn.

yeah I know what I want to say - just can't put it in words - sorry......

Edited by Ptolomy

It's when you turn your foot 90 degrees to make a 'T' with your feet before you turn I believe... I'm sure an obedience person will be along shortly to explain it better :)

ETA: See, told you someone would come and explain it :laugh:

Tiggy I couldn't tell you because I have only really had agility instructing at ACWA.

Edited by amypie

Amypie- taht is what i was thinking, re the pvc along the ground, where would the tiny foxie feet go??? LOL... i have not seen teh 2x2 bases.. will have a look... i have got grass, so can put them into the ground... but i don't even know the distances to use :) . I assume weaves are standard for all height dogs?

Weaves are the same for all dogs, in ANKC agility the weave poles are 60cm apart (to the centre of the pole)

Height isn't so much of an issue for our dogs, they only see the bottom 40cm of the pole anyway :laugh:

ETA: 2x2 bases look like this:

P1010379.jpg

2x2weaves8x6.jpg

2_x_2_Weaves_Candy_Cane.jpg

You can angle them to make a channel and gradually put them in a straight line, or you can use them to teach the weaves with the 2x2 method.

Edited by amypie

Guest RosieFT

thanks Amy... but to clarify.. i meant distance was unrelated to the height of the dog :-) ..

Yep, doesn't matter whether you have a Chi or a Dane, they all have to do the same weave poles :)

ETA: I meant height of the pole doesn't matter for our dogs, what, you're confusing me now :laugh:

Edited by amypie

Yeah I'm interested in knowing what a T turn is aswell ? can anyone explain more ???.....................

Where you are making a right turn - so you take a step with your right foot and your left foot makes the top of the T as you turn right......

The same for left turns so step with your left foot and as you step with your right foot you place it so it forms the top of the T as you turn.

I understand :laugh: .

:laugh: I am going to have to practice walking like this..... the people who live opposite the park near me are going to be watching me as if I am nuts, they already stare when I train Mason out there.

Edited by Masons_mom

Right ..... got it .... never knew that there was a correct way to do turns !!!!

Ptolomy your explanation made total sense - Good Job !!! (easier to do than to write ) :laugh:

The diagram is fantastic Terranik !

Yer but but who is actually doing the turns like this and who is doing something else?

A tip for people that haven't done this footwork - practice without your dog!

I do something similar with my foot work except I have my feet doing the exact opposite to the diagram! For a right turn I point my right foot on a 90 degree angle to the right and then swing my left foot around and the same for the left turn, point left 90 degrees with the left foot and then swing the right around.

So I don't actually make a T but I still give a signal as to which way we are going for the dog. However I think the T is better for the right turn as it's probably a bit clearer than what I do. But there is no way I'm changing my footwork now, I've been doing it this way for 10 years I don't think I'm going to be able to change any time soon!!! I have enough trouble changing hand signals after all these years! :laugh: