Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

Can't help on the RAT, I have a similar issue in that either my girls get distracted like Kenzie, or their head drops down as we come around. Bedazzled gave me a good tip in sometimes doing a double RAT, they won't be expecting that and will try keep up next time!

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had a really good training session at dog club tonight with Daisy. I am trying to be more fun/exciting and less predictable, she seemed to enjoy herself tonight. Have two videos and just watched the first one back, and OMG, my fidgeting is SO BAD!! Especially as I wasn't focusing on my handling at all but just trying to get good drive and focus from Daisy who started the night off a bit easily distracted. Before training she found someone else's green bag and it had loads of delicious treats in it, she was obsessed with it for ages and kept looking over to it :thumbsup:

It made it worse that I had roast chicken tonight and it was really slippery and hard to get out of my treat bag, I need to invest in some daggy tracky pants that have big pockets ;)

Edited by huski

We also have a few anticipation issues like to me saying yes to the judge as an acknowledgement that I am ready is Kenz's cue to get up.

Meant to say something about this bit before - forgot :laugh: .

AFAIK - You don't have to say 'yes', ness - you can say anything (polite) that clearly indicates to the judge that you're ready. 'Yes' is my marker word, so in agility trials, I say "Thank you" in response to the judge's question. I think I did the same in obedience trials when I was dong them with Fergus. A trialler down here says "ready" - which is quite nice, as it's an additional cue to his dog to pay attention :rofl: .

I try to practice start peg lineups and saying "Ready!" and when Ruby looks up, click and treat! So when I say "Ready!" in response to the judge, the idea is she will be focused and ready to go. Still a work in progress and naughty me keeps mixing it up with "Yes!" which also gets her to look at me. I must be consistent :thumbsup:

I forgot if this is just obdience but I will be sneaky anyway and post an agility post

I have been working with Toby on weaves and he is now doing 3 weaves at about 70% consistencey!! He also would prefer to work for iSqueak then food, which is a dramatic change for a do who wasn't really interested in toys. If the session this afternoon is as good as the one this morning then someone will be starting 4 weaves tomorow.

Toby so does not get obidience heeling, I am thinking having him just as an agility dog since I have to leave him behind when I move out and I don't think I will have time for both if we aren't living togther. :thumbsup:

Any recommendations of a good obidience club to start Lincoln at next term that will teach me things properly for obidience/Rally?

Edited by valleyCBR

I have daggy trackies, daggy jeans, and daggy shorts for all seasons for training :thumbsup: Bumbag with treats got the flick a long time ago :rofl:

I dont know why but I just cannot put any wet slimy food into my pocket, think its my OCD streak :rofl:

I forgot if this is just obdience but I will be sneaky anyway and post an agility post

I have been working with Toby on weaves and he is now doing 3 weaves at about 70% consistencey!! He also would prefer to work for iSqueak then food, which is a dramatic change for a do who wasn't really interested in toys. If the session this afternoon is as good as the one this morning then someone will be starting 4 weaves tomorow.

Toby so does not get obidience heeling, I am thinking having him just as an agility dog since I have to leave him behind when I move out and I don't think I will have time for both if we aren't living togther. :rofl:

Any recommendations of a good obidience club to start Lincoln at next term that will teach me things properly for obidience/Rally?

I think most clubs are pretty much the same, what you need to find is someone to help you one on one and show you some little tricks etc. Mason couldnt heel to save his life before the long weekend, we were shown how to teach him and now I find him on walks actually heeling and focussing on his own for stretches of time ( i wont lie they are not long periods of focus but its better than nothing :thumbsup: )

I have daggy trackies, daggy jeans, and daggy shorts for all seasons for training :) Bumbag with treats got the flick a long time ago :mad

I dont know why but I just cannot put any wet slimy food into my pocket, think its my OCD streak :D

I was the same but you just have to take the plunge :o , it's really not that bad I promise, and from a trialing point of view it's best to train without a treat pouch.

Toby so does not get obidience heeling, I am thinking having him just as an agility dog since I have to leave him behind when I move out and I don't think I will have time for both if we aren't living togther. :mad

The Patty Ruzzo dvd covers heeling. I highly recommend it :) .

Toby so does not get obidience heeling, I am thinking having him just as an agility dog since I have to leave him behind when I move out and I don't think I will have time for both if we aren't living togther. :mad

The Patty Ruzzo dvd covers heeling. I highly recommend it :) .

Ok, I will add it to my LONG wishlist! :o

Any idea of clubs for Lincoln?

I have daggy trackies, daggy jeans, and daggy shorts for all seasons for training :) Bumbag with treats got the flick a long time ago :mad

I dont know why but I just cannot put any wet slimy food into my pocket, think its my OCD streak :)

I was the same but you just have to take the plunge :o , it's really not that bad I promise, and from a trialing point of view it's best to train without a treat pouch.

I just cant bring myself to do it :D I will try change over when my dog is anywhere near good enough to trial but that will only be in about 18 months time anyway.

A trialler down here says "ready" - which is quite nice, as it's an additional cue to his dog to pay attention :mad .

That's what I do... Say "ready" in response. Again, I don't want to use "yes" as it's a marker word for my dogs.

We just got back from flyball training and Ahsoka is now doing passes! :) By the end of training she had dropped at least one second off her previous times, was much more focused on the box and wasn't paying any attention to the dog she was running onto (as opposed to considering chasing after it)! Woohoo!

Ok, I will add it to my LONG wishlist! :)

Any idea of clubs for Lincoln?

I was lucky to go to a Sue Hogben seminar. Learnt more that day than I ever did at a club. Since then I've been training on my own but I'll probably start back at Midland for the distraction training and to work on SFE and stays, plus I think the DWD classes would be fun :mad . I'm not doing the hour long class though.

The problem with obidience is I have no idea what I am doing, nor do I understand it. :laugh:

Maybe some of these WA experts can give me a some training advice, especially one who recently did some winning at Bunbury and also trials a retriever. :)