Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Er that came out rather wrong sounding :laugh: . Ok I have 3 special sets which I rotate for trialling and now also ring work at club. Ness gets these sets as I know she isn't about to decide to chew up my woods or leathers :rofl: . Not sure I can trust Kenzie totally yet so she gets articles out of my training sets.

I had another 2 full sets of articles plus assorted extras which were in separate boxes but were amalgamated the other day when I started training Kenz. So now I have a stack of metals all in the one box but still have my woods and leathers separate. So the box I was using with Kenz is my box of assorted metals - so has 2 sets of metals in it plus a set of woods and a set of leathers. We have only been playing with metal really so far.

I had my scented article placed back in the box - I was using a number 1 article to scent and had 2,3,4 and 5 from both boxes out in the pile. I placed my number 1 article back in the box when I left them out airing and I wasn't particularly careful to make sure I was using the number 1 article that I used last time. For all I know it could have been the other number 1 article since they both look identical.

Hmmm does that clarify things any.......

:rofl: Tiggy - yes not a particularly good tail for an agility dog - gotta blame Winpara for that :laugh: - just stirring her tail looks great for obedience and HTM when its flying. Hmmm me thinks I might be doing a trim job before her first agility trial :laugh: .

....a bit :laugh: I keep any articles recently used separate and air them well before replacing them in their boxes and then the box is well aired before using it again. I admit to being a bit pedantic about scent :D ....I now have around 12 complete trial sets with lots of crappy training sets! These have been collected over the course of 4 dogs doing UD with my first, Ruby, having a whole set of special issues!!! I used a mat for her...I was the only one in WA to do so and half the clubs didn't know where their mat was stored and when they found in...oh my, smelly, mouldy thing it was!! I used to bring my own to trials and decided after her I would never, ever train scent with a mat again!!!!

Er that came out rather wrong sounding :laugh: . Ok I have 3 special sets which I rotate for trialling and now also ring work at club. Ness gets these sets as I know she isn't about to decide to chew up my woods or leathers :rofl: . Not sure I can trust Kenzie totally yet so she gets articles out of my training sets.

I had another 2 full sets of articles plus assorted extras which were in separate boxes but were amalgamated the other day when I started training Kenz. So now I have a stack of metals all in the one box but still have my woods and leathers separate. So the box I was using with Kenz is my box of assorted metals - so has 2 sets of metals in it plus a set of woods and a set of leathers. We have only been playing with metal really so far.

I had my scented article placed back in the box - I was using a number 1 article to scent and had 2,3,4 and 5 from both boxes out in the pile. I placed my number 1 article back in the box when I left them out airing and I wasn't particularly careful to make sure I was using the number 1 article that I used last time. For all I know it could have been the other number 1 article since they both look identical.

Hmmm does that clarify things any.......

I used a mat for her...I was the only one in WA to do so and half the clubs didn't know where their mat was stored and when they found in...oh my, smelly, mouldy thing it was!! I used to bring my own to trials and decided after her I would never, ever train scent with a mat again!!!!

WOW the only person who used a mat! That's crazy! We have heaps of people use mats here in QLD, the mat gets put out along with the box and jumps etc as standard in every ring!

I'm too lazy to set a mat up for training so the ground it is for me!

Yep and that would have been around 10 years ago! No one uses a mat here. We are blessed with bowling green grounds and there is simply no need for it so no one trains with one. One thing I have noticed when we go interstate is that the articles tend to roll around and you may have a scented article touch an unscented one. Too many variables for me!

I used a mat for her...I was the only one in WA to do so and half the clubs didn't know where their mat was stored and when they found in...oh my, smelly, mouldy thing it was!! I used to bring my own to trials and decided after her I would never, ever train scent with a mat again!!!!

WOW the only person who used a mat! That's crazy! We have heaps of people use mats here in QLD, the mat gets put out along with the box and jumps etc as standard in every ring!

I'm too lazy to set a mat up for training so the ground it is for me!

Sorry to talk about boring stuff but Amber (4 months) is cracking me up with her recalls. She comes in so fast that she does a skid and a couple of rolls to stop. Haven't seen anything like it, she thinks it is the best game.

Here she is flying in:

rky7ba.jpg

Edited by JulesP

Yep and that would have been around 10 years ago! No one uses a mat here. We are blessed with bowling green grounds and there is simply no need for it so no one trains with one. One thing I have noticed when we go interstate is that the articles tend to roll around and you may have a scented article touch an unscented one. Too many variables for me!

That's the other reason I do mine on the ground, my dog works them so quickly that if their on a mat she scatters them and they roll all over the place. This doesnt happen as much on the ground.

I guess the benefit of the mat (at least here in QLD, you guys probably wouldn't have these issues) would be that the dogs can see the articles clearly and it should act as a barrier from ants and things like that, both of which are issues here in QLD with some of our really terrible grounds! Long grass, lumpy ground etc all make it hard to see the articles and some grounds have real problems with ants. I want to trial on your grounds they sound lovely!!! :rofl:

10 years ago I was at a club up in North QLD and I think from memory most people used a mat up there, down here in Brissy and after a few years break from trialling it's probably around 50-50. Maybe we're all a bit backwards over here! LOL

Sorry to talk about boring stuff but Amber (4 months) is cracking me up with her recalls. She comes in so fast that she does a skid and a couple of rolls to stop. Haven't seen anything like it, she thinks it is the best game.

That's not boring! At least she makes an effort to stop!!! My girl used to come in so fast and never ever stopped in time. She thought the object of the game was to run as fast as she could and then at the last moment launch herself at my stomach!!! I fell over, and got winded a few times with this stunt!

But it's great that she's got such an enthusiastic recall!!! :rofl:

Ok so second SD training session last night and Daisy will now pick up the metal article if I offer it to her and will pick it up off the ground (ah, it's the small things!) and by the end of the training session she was bringing it back to me too. Will progress with this until she is confidently bringing it back to me and then will go from there.

She is also progressing really nicely with her formal retrieve and is starting to do nice fronts with the dumbell :laugh: Might do a video of it at training this week if we can continue to pull it together.

Edited by huski

I tried to get some video this morning of Cider bear doing scent - well I have a very nice video of my legs and Cider's bottom half doing scent - or Cider leaving me to go and find the scent article and disappearing off the screen. Hmm lets just say this videoing is a work in progress :laugh:

Ok so second SD training session last night and Daisy will now pick up the metal article if I offer it to her and will pick it up off the ground (ah, it's the small things!) and by the end of the training session she was bringing it back to me too. Will progress with this until she is confidently bringing it back to me and then will go from there.

She is also progressing really nicely with her formal retrieve and is starting to do nice fronts with the dumbell :laugh: Might do a video of it at training this week if we can continue to pull it together.

Has the metal training had anything to do with the improvement in the dumbbell fronts?

Has the metal training had anything to do with the improvement in the dumbbell fronts?

Hmmm not sure Ptolomy! Could be?? She has become REALLY keen on the dumbell this past week but that was before we started playing around with the SD stuff. She really doesn't like the feel of the metal in her mouth and won't take it with the same gusto as she will the dumbell when I hand it to her. She is a lot more excited by the dumbell than she is the metal article, but it is probably just because we've been working on it longer and she really gets what it is all about. By the end of the training session yesterday she was becoming a lot more confident with the metal article, so hopefully her enthusiasm for it will grow with time.

ETA: Will be interesting to see how she goes with the wood/leather articles!

Edited by huski

Any thoughts on when to introduce leather into the scent discrimination equation?

Whenever you want is my answer :laugh:

I did leather last with Ruby (metal followed by wood followed by leather), but for Millie I went wood followed by leather followed by metal I think. Probably because I had no expectation Millie would actually get it, I was just mucking around, but she sure surprised me :laugh:

Edited by RubyStar

Not how more like when Ptolomy. My first attempt at the leather was a serious no go. When I tried just before she seemed to want to go into retrieve over drive rather than scenting. Compared to her nice methodical approach she has shown with the metal and woods yesterday it was like there was no brain. We did some straight fetching but definitely getting more snatch and grab attempts rather than sniffing. Maybe the fact that the weather is shitty and she hasn't had a walk today might explain part of it. I had to play indoors. We had one attempt where she sniffed an incorrect one and then went and got the correct one but other than that it was grab the first leather she came across.

Is it worth continuing to play with metals and woods for a few more days. I am not sure if I have just rushed the whole process and if she really doesn't understand what I am after yet. The video yesterday shows she is understanding the sniffing element but not sure.