What Is Really In Those Dog Chews ?

brightonrock

Black Dog rep left me a few looooong rawhide chews the other week. I know their stuff is australian, may pay to look into their rawhide chews

Are you certain, Nek?

Across the board, rawhide is nearly all imported and irradiated. As are pigs ears. We love the Qld wholesaler (yes, the one who keeps maxing cards from dolers with their great products lol) because of the high Australian content and high quality control.

We'll double check with them on their next visit in.

Sags

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another point of note re: imported rawhide chews are the quarantine conditions. Currently import conditions for rawhide state that they must have been soaked in a lime solution of pH14 for not less than 8 hours; and is made from hide/skin tissue only and contains no ear tissue or other tissue containing cartilage

Otherwise, chews that do not comply with the above requirements (ie. contain ear tissue and/or cartilage) must be gamma irradiated at 50kGray.

A good reason to buy Australian product :champagne:

Thanks for the link PF - $45 order here!

What's that - a week's worth for a Great Dane? :)

Gee they wouldn't go that far would they!!

I hope $150 worth will last a little while with two Whippets and a Stafford?????

Guess we will see, but would have to be more economical than buying them in small packets surely

I stopped feeding those rawhide chews years ago when something came through one of the wheaten lists about the preservative being formaldehyde.

We like Dog Food 2 U bambi ears in our house. I think they're imported from NZ because we don't have enough deer locally.

Another point of note re: imported rawhide chews are the quarantine conditions. Currently import conditions for rawhide state that they must have been soaked in a lime solution of pH14 for not less than 8 hours; and is made from hide/skin tissue only and contains no ear tissue or other tissue containing cartilage

Otherwise, chews that do not comply with the above requirements (ie. contain ear tissue and/or cartilage) must be gamma irradiated at 50kGray.

A good reason to buy Australian product :laugh:

Where did you get your info? I have been looking cannot find anything. Want to pass it on to friends because I have been telling them for a couple of years

not to buy from China.

Got my rather large bag of goodies today.

Needless to say I am my dogs best friends.

The tendons and other chews I got are enormous and they will love them. Might even consider cutting them in half!

Thanks PF for blowing up my credit card!

ETA my dogs have been defeated by the mighty beef tendon.

They have chewed for ages, there is still half left and they do not want to chew any more!

Edited by Rommi n Lewis

• 6 months later...

Any idea what is in a 'bull chew'?

It could just about be the dumbest question ever, ie Bull, but how would you know? They sell them at the pet store near the Melbourne market and my Cav loves them. Any other recommendations for Cav's to keep their teeth healthy? (My wife seems to have taken a stand against real bones.....don't ask)

It could just about be the dumbest question ever, ie Bull, but how would you know? They sell them at the pet store near the Melbourne market and my Cav loves them. Any other recommendations for Cav's to keep their teeth healthy? (My wife seems to have taken a stand against real bones.....don't ask)

My guess is that its cow (but male of course) penis.

Edited by poodlefan

My guess is that its cow (but male of course) penis.

I thought they called those "twizzles". They make me sick. They smell like stale pee.

edit to add:

Here is the place HERE they call them whizzers. Maybe it's the pig ones they call twizzlers :mad

Edited by whippets

I have also just been shopping :mad

However they also have the cheapest Advocate! I was going to need some more in the next month, checked theirs out whilest browsing the treats and they are the lowest price I have found, so ordered that too!

I am also going to check out the other link in the post above - my credit card will be shrieking!

Happy doggies though, and as Rommi has been in season and have been more confined she will be happy to have new yummy treats.

I know this thread is about treats, but just thought I'd mention to compare prices to www.petproductsontheweb.com.au - they have been the cheapest I've found for Sentinal/Interceptor and they also have free postage, so worth checking out if your product is cheaper, too :D

After reading this, I'm not giving mindy any more rawhide chews or pigs ears (which she doesn't even like anyway).

Thanks for the link to the website poodlefan!

Just to let you know that not all pig's ears are imported.

We sell Australian ears that are not irradiated, and hope to always be able to do this. It certainly is worth asking whoever you buy from where the product is sourced as not all retailers simply buy whatever is offered to them.

Thank goodness there are more and more Aussie made treats!

Sags

Thanks for the link poodle fan! There are some good looking things on that site!

I use treats all the time with G, admittedly I usually end up using her kibble.... but I find that for obedience school it isn't grabbing her attention enough - and it is very little and crumbly in my finger nails! But I don't want to give her anything that will make her fat or upset her tummy. The beef liver strips you can buy are annoying - I need something that is already in small pieces.

I did try the schmakos popcorn pieces, that I cut down further, but I don't think she is so keen on those.

I am going to be the next person to spend a fortune on dog treats!! :laugh: