What Is Really In Those Dog Chews ?

brightonrock

My dogs love the skinny rolled "rawhide" chews. They are a bit hard to get, but I tracked down a produce store that has packs of them.

I phoned up the supplier on the label to ask what they are and she said she wasn't sure but they are "pork flavour". When I asked her where they come from she said "Oh China, all our dog chews come from China".

A friend of mine said there is a good chance the chews we feed our dogs from China are dog or cat hide.

Does anyone know more about this ?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another thing to remember is if you are going to give rawhide (but I agree with PF here, don't use them) - never leave the dog alone with the chew...

I had to retrieve one from Ollie's throat because he swallowed it before he chewed it up enough about 3 times before I realised that he was never going to be able to eat these things...

I knew they were bleached and from china, but never thought about that- could be true though.

Would they be able to export them though?

The supplier told me they were labelled only as Pork Flavour, whatever that means.

I used to work in a shopping centre where a gift shop had cute stuffed toy cats with realistic fur. These are now known to be from cat and or dog origin from China.

Most of the rawhide chews come from China. I always thought they were made from beef hide etc,but who knows? Nothing to stop the manufacturer using anything he likes, really.

I wont buy the ones made in China because I don't think they are hygenically prepared (ie, no one cares, so what if a few dogs in another country die?) and the melamine warnings worried me, although there would be no melamine in chews!!

Pigs ears are often produced locally - it's worth asking. My local pet shop was getting them from someone in my area who was doing the preparation themselves. I buy liver treats from the butcher, they have a customer who makes them. There are Aust companies who do chews, but you need to source them.

The link PF gave looks ok.

Be wary of made in Australia as opposed to product of australia. If you look closely a lot of the made in Australia will say (from local and imported ingredients).

I second or third only buying Australian now. I also look for Roo stuff as I figure that wouldn't come from anywhere else! :laugh: (though you never know with the Chinese :laugh: )

Be wary of made in Australia as opposed to product of australia. If you look closely a lot of the made in Australia will say (from local and imported ingredients).

I second or third only buying Australian now. I also look for Roo stuff as I figure that wouldn't come from anywhere else! :laugh: (though you never know with the Chinese :laugh: )

The roo flaps at the link I posted are great for the big dogs.. they're a real workout!

I second or third only buying Australian now. I also look for Roo stuff as I figure that wouldn't come from anywhere else! :laugh: (though you never know with the Chinese ;) )

The roo flaps at the link I posted are great for the big dogs.. they're a real workout!

Hey PF are you sure that company is not a sideline for Deschonko???? :laugh:

We haven't had any update of their latest products for 2010 btw. I am sure we could all do with a laugh... :rofl:

I second or third only buying Australian now. I also look for Roo stuff as I figure that wouldn't come from anywhere else! :laugh: (though you never know with the Chinese :eek: )

Hey PF are you sure that company is not a sideline for Deschonko???? :rofl:

We haven't had any update of their latest products for 2010 btw. I am sure we could all do with a laugh... ;)

I'm still working on my fully organic range of Deshonko Pet Foods. Roadkill is wonderful stuff :laugh: Keeps my work for the dole folk busy when things are quiet at the kennels. :mad

However, I've been far too busy perfecting the headfall on Howard the Havanese Whippet to do much on other Deshonko dogs of late.

No matter, I'll talk to my new partner Shonkypaws and see what we can come up with. Mothers Day is coming up and we all know pups make perfect gifts for unsuspecting mums! :D Who wouldn't want another mouth to feed and bum to clean? :)

Edited by poodlefan

What about the schmako's chew strips you can buy in a box of 10 at the supermarket? Is schmako's australian?

If I give one to poppy the moment it touches her mouth she drops it on the floor and looks at me in disgust. And she will eat anything so thats saying something!

when I last looked at the ingredients it didn't look promising.

What about the schmako's chew strips you can buy in a box of 10 at the supermarket? Is schmako's australian?

If I give one to poppy the moment it touches her mouth she drops it on the floor and looks at me in disgust. And she will eat anything so thats saying something!

Have a chew on a smako some time. They're very salty. Not something I want to feed my dogs on a regular basis.

p.s. I haven't tried rawhide chews so can't comment. My dogs swallow them whole and I've never seen one come out the other end whole . . . so I presume they are at least digestable.

Edited by sandgrubber

Would it just make a lot more sense to give the dogs bones from the butcher ?

I would NEVER give my boys any of those chews again. One of them choked on a rawhide chew and I had to pull it out of his throat. After a while they get 'gluggy' and tend to stick in the throat. It's raw bones for them now, more natural and much healthier.

I highly recommend the Australian Pet Treat Company. My dog's favourites are the roo tendons and the chicken and tuna jerky.

Oh thanks a lot PF!!! I just spent $100 after going to their site!! :laugh:

They didnt have roo tendons but had lots of other cool stuff, i ordered 4 kg worth of treats!! :) Ssshhhh dont tell hubby ... :(

I highly recommend the Australian Pet Treat Company. My dog's favourites are the roo tendons and the chicken and tuna jerky.

Oh thanks a lot PF!!! I just spent $100 after going to their site!! :(

They didnt have roo tendons but had lots of other cool stuff, i ordered 4 kg worth of treats!! :laugh: Ssshhhh dont tell hubby ... :cry:

:) A few of my dogs crazy friends get together to do bulk orders. I never seem to escape from the website for much under $100 either.

Check back frequently.. doesn't seem to take too long for the out of stock stuff to reappear. They usually toss a few samples into a big order too.

I really like the tuna.. so do the dogs!

Edited by poodlefan