Schutzhund In Victoria

I am aware of an accredited dog trainer in Victoria who is currently raising and training two young dogs in Schutzhund. Now I'm not the slightest bit interested in this type of training so I'm not up on the latest, but I thought it had recently been made illegal in Victoria. Is this the case?

Before you ask, no, its not a trainer I train with and I don't believe they're a forum member.

Just another reason to leave this friggen nanny state - too many stupid laws made by stupid people.

I too am interested in where this thread is going.....

The level of training is amazing and have no idea why anyone would have tried to have it stopped - hopefully people in other states are not so misled.

Just another reason to leave this friggen nanny state - too many stupid laws made by stupid people.

:laugh: ..... so, you wanna car-pool when we leave? LOL

OT : Look at little cutie black boy in your avatar. Bet he's grown somewhat since I saw your litter :laugh:.

Edited by Erny

:laugh: ..... so, you wanna car-pool when we leave? LOL

OT : Look at little cutie black boy in your avatar. Bet he's grown somewhat since I saw your litter :birthday:.

:( would be easier if we lived closer to the border hey Erny :birthday:

OT - yep I bet he has, he lives in Cranbourne now, I decided to let him go. :laugh: sending you a pm :birthday:

No I'm not interested in dobbing them. I'm not trying to make a point, I'm simply curious and I thought someone on the forum would know. As I said, I don't know much about the laws therefore I was just a little unsure as to why a trainer 'might' be doing something if it was illegal. I'm painfully law abiding, heck I feel guilty crossing the road where there isn't a set of traffic lights, so it peaked my interest.

I find it impressive training, but as I said its just not something I'd get involved in. I guess it was more the point of law I was interested.

I guess it was more the point of law I was interested.

Unfortunately, there are numerous areas in the dog world where the law simply sucks and isn't necessarily a good thing for animal welfare, especially when they are made by people who don't fully understand it, and/or pushed for by those who might have an ulterior motive for doing so. But fair enough and thanks for your explanation, SG. Schutzhund is an absolutely fine and very disciplined sport - disciplined for the handlers and producing dogs with very high precision in obedience. The dogs need to have suitable temperament to be able to complete all components of the sport. Some people don't like it when their dogs prove not to have the 'stuff' required to be able to achieve the extraordinary heights of training and soundness that Schutzhund demands.

:rasberry: would be easier if we lived closer to the border hey Erny :provoke:

Well actually, given the way of numerous laws that affect different States in different ways, it would be easier if we lived closer to the border of New Zealand. Shall we fly, or take a cruise ;) ?

Bugger it I'm moving to europe, at least I'll be able to just DRIVE to pick up the dogs I want

AND they hold public comps

AND no one cares, hell, they even encourage it ... like normal people do.

No I'm not interested in dobbing them. I'm not trying to make a point, I'm simply curious and I thought someone on the forum would know

If they're part of a club then it is all taken care of.

:rasberry: would be easier if we lived closer to the border hey Erny :provoke:

Well actually, given the way of numerous laws that affect different States in different ways, it would be easier if we lived closer to the border of New Zealand. Shall we fly, or take a cruise :o ?

OT think we should fly - by the time we take a slow cruise - they might catch up with the stupid VIC laws. ;)

No I'm not interested in dobbing them. I'm not trying to make a point, I'm simply curious and I thought someone on the forum would know

If they're part of a club then it is all taken care of.

Ahhhh, it all makes sense now. Thanks for explaining this everyone, I am much better educated now.

Bugger it I'm moving to europe, at least I'll be able to just DRIVE to pick up the dogs I want. AND they hold public comps. AND no one cares, hell, they even encourage it ... like normal people do.

Oh yes, yes!! Count me in. Andrisa will come too :provoke: . And we won't have to even worry about dogs being banned at street cafes due to the possibility of a stray dog hair, or be judged and/or victimised because we recognise the benefits of PPCollars and E-Collar training, or whether our leads are 1.5 metres long rather than 1 metre, or ... . :rasberry:

Edited by Erny

In answer to the question (which hasn't been to this point) it is state law, nothing to do with VCA that restricts the training of schutzhund, however there are still many individuals training and clubs permitting it.

I do not agree with the state laws restricting this sort of canine training as if it's done correctly there isn't a thing wrong with it!

However I am against anyone that is breaking the law (schutzhund trainers) or clubs that turn a blind eye. Whether I agree with the law or not, it is the law.

I'm not the slightest bit interested in this type of training

Im assuming that you know that there are 3 "sections" that are equally importatnt in schutzhund (when considering the sport as a whole)

And they are

Obedience

Tracking and

Character assesment

I always thought that majority of DOLers that are in the trainig section would be interested in at least obediecne. You are not? :laugh:

If you are only interested in law - perhaps your question should be asked on a law forum, not a dog training forum....

Bugger it I'm moving to europe

Werent we going to go together??? :rofl:

Edited by MonElite

I'm not the slightest bit interested in this type of training

Im assuming that you know that there are 3 "sections" that are equally importatnt in schutzhund (when considering the sport as a whole)

And they are

Obedience

Tracking and

Character assesment

I always thought that majority of DOLers that are in the trainig section would be interested in at least obediecne. You are not? :thanks:

If you are only interested in law - perhaps your question should be asked on a law forum, not a dog training forum....

Bugger it I'm moving to europe

Werent we going to go together??? :party:

No, MonElite I had no idea. That being the case I stand corrected, apparently I am interested and I even participate in one section of schutzhund as I've trained in obedience for many years. Hopefully, cross my fingers, I'll even do some obedience trials this year or next. My next challenges are going to be agilty and a spot of herding.

Edit - A law forum, blargh, how dull and dry. :thumbsup: I wanted a practical answer though, not their 'technical' translation.

Edited by SmoothieGirl

In answer to the question (which hasn't been to this point) it is state law, nothing to do with VCA that restricts the training of schutzhund, however there are still many individuals training and clubs permitting it.

I do not agree with the state laws restricting this sort of canine training as if it's done correctly there isn't a thing wrong with it!

However I am against anyone that is breaking the law (schutzhund trainers) or clubs that turn a blind eye. Whether I agree with the law or not, it is the law.

ANKC regulation that it is not to be done and that any club or person found to be doing it is in breach of the regulations and can be kicked out.

ANKC regulation that it is not to be done and that any club or person found to be doing it is in breach of the regulations and can be kicked out.

Funny that all working line breeders of sch eligible breeds advertise it freely and they are still registered breeders.

Also funny that ANKC would have something agains 2/3 of the sport - considering they hold competitions in those disciplines themselves. Or is it that they have someting agains bite work and dont really understand the sport as a whole, hence made some decision based on histeria rather then knowledge?