Where Do You Buy Your Lenses?

becandcharch

Thanks again both of you.

I have done a bit of reading and plan to do some more.

From what I can gather, the Canon is a better lens but what I need to determine is if it is $1000 better.

I dont know a lot about IS but the Sigma doesnt have this. The main purpose for this lens is shooting trithlons so maybe this would be a plus.

I really dont want to bother with getting the sigma and selling it to upgrade to Canon if I change my mind.

I will pop in to a shop and have a play with both. Either way its a little bit EXCITING!!

Bec I have the Sigma 70 - 200. If you want to have a play with mine you are quite welcome.

Wow anniek that is so nice of you!! :) Really really nice of you!

I may just take you up on that, I get down your way quite a bit. Should I leave you one of my dogs as a deposit? :(

:thumbsup: no thanks I have enough dogs. I'll be at Clayton South on Saturday morning at a "Cosmolo" rescue seminar if want to have a play then.

:cry: no thanks I have enough dogs. I'll be at Clayton South on Saturday morning at a "Cosmolo" rescue seminar if want to have a play then.

I'm just in Bentleigh! I will shoot you a PM. Thankyou, thankyou! :eek:

Bellatrix I really should be getting a mac first but I reaaally want this lens!

I've bought all 3 of my lenses (Sigma 17-70, 10-20 and 300mm f/4 L) from Royal Express in Sydney (they are part of the Camera Warehouse co I think). They have beaten any price I've come to them with that I've been quoted elsewhere and they are just downstairs from where I work.

Thanks Ripley :thumbsup:

Oh man I am so confused. I have found a couple of threads here http://photography-on-the.net (great forum) comparing the sigma to canon and its really divided. There are some really great points on both sides and I have seen some brilliant photos from the sigma.

Decision comes down to having IS and a fraction faster focus speed (say some)

Hmm .. can I be patient enough to wait ...

Edited to add that I am meeting the amazing anniek and her sigma on Sat morning to have a play. How nice is that?!

Edited by becandcharch

grey import bandwagon - MACK insurance resolves that :laugh:

Whats this?

Greymarket is not full warranty. If you do a google search you will find more, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_market - the biggest risk for me is the fact that you could be purchasing a returned item that has been repaired and re-sold as new. I would be much more likely to be getting a lens from them than a camera though, less can go wrong with a lens I figure.

I have purchased a lens from http://www.bhphotovideo.com/ - used mid range shipping and they were very quick, got good deals for memory cards at the same time

I went to Digital Camera Warehouse for a camera, they were great there too. Ordered online and picked it up so everything was ready when I went in.

Would love to know which lens you end up with too

ETA when I was purchasing my camera I was looking at the Canon for my next lens

Edited by helen

Greymarket is not full warranty. the biggest risk for me is the fact that you could be purchasing a returned item that has been repaired and re-sold as new. I would be much more likely to be getting a lens from them than a camera though, less can go wrong with a lens I figure.

This can happen in a shop as well... Shops can easily put a returned item back on their shelves and open it again for you to show it to you :laugh:

I never said Grey Market gives you full warranty... For peace of mind, get a seperate warranty from Mack who are international and deal specifically in Warranty repairs.

Best warranty I got was from BH New York. I got my boss to pick up a 70-200mm f/4 L (non IS) when he was in New York in 07 and he also got this warranty for an additional USD$50. I didn't think I'd need it, then I dropped the lens and it smashed and I did need it. The repair quote was more than the lens was worth (and I went to 2 separate places for quotes) so I sent them the repair quote and they sent me a cheque for what I paid for it, which I put towards the 300mm prime, which is much better for what I like doing, taking pics of wildlife, especially wild birds.

eta: now I have insurance through my home contents which covers theft and damage as I cannot be trusted with all this nice stuff. :laugh:

Edited by Ripley

Greymarket is not full warranty. the biggest risk for me is the fact that you could be purchasing a returned item that has been repaired and re-sold as new. I would be much more likely to be getting a lens from them than a camera though, less can go wrong with a lens I figure.

This can happen in a shop as well... Shops can easily put a returned item back on their shelves and open it again for you to show it to you :laugh:

I never said Grey Market gives you full warranty... For peace of mind, get a seperate warranty from Mack who are international and deal specifically in Warranty repairs.

Well I never thought of it that way :laugh: So do you reckon with the Mack warranty I would have been safe getting a camera there?

Well this morning I had a play with Anniek's Sigma 70-200.

I am totally sold! For the price compared to Canon I am definately getting this one. Its unreal!!

I took some shots at the dog park and also got a mate to ride around on her bike.

Will post some pics over the weeeked.

Again, a HUGE thanks anniek :D

I am totally sold! For the price compared to Canon I am definately getting this one. Its unreal!!

I took some shots at the dog park and also got a mate to ride around on her bike.

Will post some pics over the weeeked.

Again, a HUGE thanks anniek :D

no worries Bec - looking forward to seeing some pics.

Annie

Excellent, you won't be dissapointed :o