Anyone Want To Share The Secret?

-Megz-

Ellz,

That is what I like about the Ron Edwards books. They are not expensive. They give you the basics with good diagrams in them. There are better and more detailed books out there, but to get started, they are good inexpensive way to start.

The main issue I have seen with many plaited leads is tension. Many are plaited too loose. Leather stretches, and if you plait loose to start with, they stretch and then can look tacky.

The other thing to consider, is if you start with the 3mm width thong is it loves to twist on itself so the back rough edge comes around to show ontop. I recommend learning with the 4.7mm width. The 5.6mm is a bit wide.

Get yourself some leather dressing as well and rub that onto the strands (you do not need much) as you plait rather than plait "dry". I use the Equinade one as it is a nice waxy consistancy and assists with a tight plait. Dubbin works well too but gram per gram is dearer than the Equinade.

If you need more body, get yourself 3mm venetian blind cord from a hardware store and use that as a core.

I flat plait my handles rather than do the round all the way around. It is softer on the hands.

You will also need an awl to splice the leather thongs back into itself. I also add glue when I splice to prevent it from unravelling as it bends with use.

ETA: post-430-1265843901_thumb.png post-430-1265843915_thumb.png

Edited by Mystiqview

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know some plaiters who use soap and others who use leather dressing. I prefer the dressing, as it coats AND treats the leather. Especially when you consider it has a high chance of getting wet.

For show leads, I recommend my buyers to only use it for the ring. Use something else for normal use (unless it is black of course).

I find if you only lightly coat it, it does not darken as you plait. Well maybe a little, but so does the soap. Think of it about putting gloss on something.

Leads will darken with age. There is little you can do to stop this. The oils in your skin, the dogs coat and dirt/grime all act over time to darken the leather. I have leads plaited in a nice purple colour, now black through age and use. One lead I have was a nice light brown. It is my every day lead and now it is black. Mind you I have had this lead now for 15 years.

Whippets.. It is not a show lead. Its a general purpose one that has seen some rough abuse over the years. A thicker one that was one strip of leather cut into four, folded over the snap and then plaited down.

It is a good feeling though when you do your own. Then if you need a new one, sit infront of the TV and plait away. Unfortunately even at $50-$60 each. There is not a lot of money in making them for others. materials cost about $30 (snap, cord, 4 leather strands 2m long at $1.50-$2/metre) then the time..Its takes me about an hour to hour and a half to finish off a lead from start to finish.

Mystic view, I agree with you, I also do a flat plait for the handle, and the neck as well. I just use saddle soap to plait with.

I have a lead that is about 50 years old now. It's one my parents had when I was a kid and what gave me the interest in plaiting to start with. I used it up until about 10 years ago, I could still use it but I think it deserves its retirement now, it hangs on my leash rack and occasionally gets an oiling.

I have the parcord however for the life of me am unable to insert the ends and stitch them, I dont like to glue or use the crimps to keep them in place I would like to be able tos titch them and not have the ends fray :-(

Ive toyed with this abit too and my biggest issue was it fraying, would love to know how to do that bit properly!

I've brought some cords yesterday from a Lincraft shop.

I paid $12 for 3 of 3 metres of different satin cords!

Now I just need some spare time to braid a nice green lead up, but I tried doing a diamond braid and I couldn't figure it out yet, but I may need to borrow my dad's clamp and practice on it!