Home Alone Toileting Issue

Lara19

I will have to go back to work in a couple of days and have a dilemma.

We have set up a crate and pen for Logan (9 week old Golden Retriever) where he has been very happy sleeping, eating and playing for the past week since we brought him home. He sleeps thru the night without needing to wee, which is unbelievable to us being so young, but great at the same time!

In the corner of the pen is a piece of grass (fake) where he was supposed to wee. He prefers to lie on it, and as I have been home, I have been around to take him outside for toilet which he does very happily with heaps of praise.

Yesterday we went out and left him happily munching on chew toys, but when we came home he had done a wee on the floor, not on the grass. As it is a sheet of vinyl we put down over the carpet there was a puddle which of course he had walked thru....yuck!

OH took the grass outside later on and got Logan to wee on it to mark the scent so we were hopeful that he would now think that this is a place to relieve himself while in his pen. But no...this morning he did a wee on the floor again. I am mad at myself for not taking him outside, but I am trying to get him used to being alone as there may be 4 hrs or so when he will be alone some days.

We decided against puppy pads initially, but are now wondering if we should rethink before it is too late(if not already). If so what are brands that people have found successful, or any other thoughts on how we may be able to correct this issue (other than us being dumbwits for allowing him to lie on the grass in the first place) :laugh:

Any reason he can't be in a pen outside during the day?

I should have mentioned that...thanks!

We don't have anywhere undercover that he could be protected from the weather; here in Melbourne we can have 4 seasons in one day, as we "joke" about. He can be outside when he gets a bit older as we have a good long area at the side of the house where he can have access to the laundry and will have an outside kennel. I'm just not confident that he would know how to protect himself from the weather yet, being a GR, I'd assume rain would not bother him...but me...that's another whole issue!

Any reason he can't be in a pen outside during the day?

I should have mentioned that...thanks!

We don't have anywhere undercover that he could be protected from the weather; here in Melbourne we can have 4 seasons in one day, as we "joke" about. He can be outside when he gets a bit older as we have a good long area at the side of the house where he can have access to the laundry and will have an outside kennel. I'm just not confident that he would know how to protect himself from the weather yet, being a GR, I'd assume rain would not bother him...but me...that's another whole issue!

I'd be teaching him to use a dog door and giving him laundry and outside access ASAP.

Can't help with a recommendation on a puppy pad - have never used them.

I'd be teaching him to use a dog door and giving him laundry and outside access ASAP.

agreed.

He's not made of meringue- he won't dissolve in a bit of rain- it's not cold, and leaving him indoors in a pen may well encourage more bad habits, like chewing/barking, as well as mucking up toilet training. :laugh:

He's not made of meringue

Yes, you are right...just have to get over that thought of needing to "protect him" that is nawing inside! :cry:

If I decide to go as above and relocate him into the laundry and doggie door access do you think that he will get confused about being in a different location for sleeping, eating and toileting all over again when he has had everything down pat almost so far.

He's not made of meringue

Yes, you are right...just have to get over that thought of needing to "protect him" that is nawing inside! :cry:

If I decide to go as above and relocate him into the laundry and doggie door access do you think that he will get confused about being in a different location for sleeping, eating and toileting all over again when he has had everything down pat almost so far.

No more confused that when you do it later... when it will be even more established as a habit.

He could still sleep further into the house overnight.

The more closely you confine this pup, the more he'll be forced to eat, sleep and eliminate in the one small space. That will destroy his natural inhibition about NOT eliminating near his eating and sleeping areas. Destruction of that inhibition is one of the reasons why pet shop pups are often nightmares to toilet train.

He also needs access to sunlight, fresh air and space to romp in to develop into a healthy adult dog. If you're worried about his security, confine him to the backyard out of sight of the street and padlock gates when you are not at home.

Edited by poodlefan

hi,

toilet training fun times lol,

if you are going to place him outside, you would be best to do it now slowly as when he gets older ,you will get issues like howling scatching ,barking ect because he is use to being indoors.

as long as you have a kennel face it away from the draft and give him some blankets he will be fine .

toilet training just some hints if you dont already know them ,

when they wake up take them to the toilet , dont take urself to the toilet then him as it will be to late. Take him staight away .

evertime he drinks take him out 4 minutes later. and leave him there for 20 minutes outside,

everytime he eats the same , even if its a treat as then he will start to learn eveytime i drink or eat i have to go outside to do my bussiness

when he wees or poo in the house dont get cranky at him just place him outside for 20 minutes,

when u clean the messup in the house if it is on carpet you need to get rid of the smell otherwise they will just go back and do it there ,

when my guys were pups i used a mix of lavenda disf and equlptus oil mix that togetaher with water and ethier spray it or mop depending on ur floors

i hope this helps it can be diffucult . they are just like toilet training kids, actually there easier lol

good luck

I am usually quite casual about my pups. After the first night inside it is outside with them! This pup (also had for a week) I am quite anxious about. Dunno why, lol. I am also returning to work this week and am stressing about leaving her outside.

The last couple of days I have had her outside longer and longer and have shock horror actually left the house and gone out myself :cry:

Logan does need good protection from the weather. He will work out the best place to go in the various weathers. My pup is currently asleep in my tack room as the floor is nice and cool in there. She is the 3rd pup that has worked out that it is a good sleeping spot.

I would be trying him outside for longer and longer before you go back to work. I reckon us human mums are going to suffer more than the pups, lol.

:cry: Oh Jules you are so right...he'll not have a care in the world while I'll be chewing my nails from the moment I leave to the second I get home...not that I'll let him know that I hope!

While we have been home he does spend a good deal of time outside, always taken out very regularly for toileting. Even though we thought his pen was pretty roomy, as you say Poodlefan, it may not be enough room HE needs to be separate from his eating, sleeping, playing and eliminating. We thought we had the ideal set up as per Dunbar and others' recommendations. But I suppose each dog is different in how they react to each scenario.

Of course I am biased, but he is proving to be a smart little chap, and so I am starting to think that he will learn a new setting quicker than I'm going to accept that he really will cope, and the sooner I do, the better for him.

Thanks for you advice, and guidance...I had to have a "push" from someone, and I trust that you have been there and done that so CAN advise honestly.

Now I just need to see my "shrink" to get my head straight!

Thanks to all your suggestions and comments....

I did return to work, can't believe I made it so hard for myself. :o

Logan worked out the doggie door in a flash, and while he prefers to be inside, he does come in and out to wee.

I took an extended lunch break to come home and feed him, but he was sooo sleepy he was not really interested in eating. We had a play and a few "lessons" and then I left him happily gnawing on a pork treat. Even though I thought I would not be able to get him off my mind, being busy, and knowing he WAS ok, was very reassuring.

When I returned home in the late avo, he was just lying in the laundry with a few of his toys around him. I did not make a fuss of him and just pottered around the house so he could hear and smell me, and then to where he could see me, before I actually made eye contact.

So not sure which one of you said..."he's a dog"....but :thanks: I needed to hear that, and he proved that to me as well!(although a VERY special dog!!) :cry: