Can Anything Be Done To Keep Cats Away?

ruthless

As a side note, I understand this is a dog forum but as a cat lover and owner of indoor cats my whole life, I find it frightening how often trapping is the first response to these issues. I'd be beseide myself if one of my cats got outside one day and ended up in a trap. :laugh::)

You do understand, 16Paws, that the 'cat trap' doesn't harm the cat? It just a cage where the door shuts quickly behind them when the cat goes in there. Then the Council comes, picks them up and they go through the pound process. If the cat is microchipped, the owner is contacted. And yes, the owner pays the fine for their cat wandering in the first place, just as owners of stray/escaped dogs do.

If your cat got out and someone trapped it and rang the rangers you should be pleased, because it means someone is helping to prevent your kitty becoming hit by a car or encountering some other danger.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As a side note, I understand this is a dog forum but as a cat lover and owner of indoor cats my whole life, I find it frightening how often trapping is the first response to these issues. I'd be beseide myself if one of my cats got outside one day and ended up in a trap. :mad :p

You do understand, 16Paws, that the 'cat trap' doesn't harm the cat? It just a cage where the door shuts quickly behind them when the cat goes in there. Then the Council comes, picks them up and they go through the pound process. If the cat is microchipped, the owner is contacted. And yes, the owner pays the fine for their cat wandering in the first place, just as owners of stray/escaped dogs do.

If your cat got out and someone trapped it and rang the rangers you should be pleased, because it means someone is helping to prevent your kitty becoming hit by a car or encountering some other danger.

:cry:

I can guarantee that where we are living now (with my OH and ten high-prey drive dogs) a cat wouldn't survive 5 seconds in this yard so you should be thankful it gets trapped and taken to the pound in one piece.

I don't have a cat but if I should ever own one, I don't think I will feel safe for my cat to be loitering around on it's own in the day. I have seen cats dashing across the busiest roads and stirring dogs in their yards. It's just so traumatic. I don't think it is evil to keep a cat indoors right? My cousin used to keep 2 indoor cats. There are snakes and other dangers outside so she kept hers indoors with full run of the house and a lot of toys for entertainment.

I think trapping the cats and then sending them to the pound is a safer option. At least you know the cats are alive and not being ripped apart or something.

I had heard of one ages ago. Do not know how efficient.. but it is certainly innovative.

Grab a can of the stinkest impulse deoderant or similar. Grab the cat, spray it past the ear and across the nose, so the cat hears the hiss of the spray and then gets a smell of it. They do not like the hiss (understandable). Then spray the areas with the can. When the cat goes there, it remembers the hiss and won't go there.

May be hard to grab the neighbour's cat.

There was another I know about. Funny but not at the same time.

A ex farmer wanted to borrow a battery electric fence to stop the neighbours cats from digging in his prize roses. He could not get one, but was offered the suggestion of using mouse traps tied down. He was told to set the trap, dig a little hole and set it upside down so when the cat walked on the garden and steped on the trap it would go off and scare it. The guy said he had heaps of traps from when he had the farm and would try it.

A few weeks went by, and he was asked how he went. He replied "I only lost three traps". Puzzled, the other guy asked "how". "Well, I though stuff it, so I set the traps right side up." A few days went by and it seemed to work, the cats did not visit his prize roses. One day his neighbour was talking to him about her cat and how confused she was about her cat "missing skin off its nose".

Not a recommended remedy for sure.. But I can just see it and if not for the danger of breaking feet the funny side.. Especialy as the farmer was one of these eccentric jovial types.

The lady across the road from me has three cats that she doesn't bring in at night :rofl:. One of them jumped into the neighbours yard and got attacked by their dogs but no still allowed to wander :rofl: . The good thing is she's just sold her house so bye bye cats :rofl: .

Ice cubes (evidence melts) and a sling shot ....

That's horrible. :D

To the OP: If they're disturbing your dogs, can't you write a letter to the neighbour and tell her this? Maybe she just isn't aware of what her cats are getting up to when they're out. There are cat repellant sprays though, maybe do a google search or ask at your pet supply shop. Also, most NSW councils do have regulations on when cats can be out and about so look yours up. I wouldn't run to the council about it, but perhaps point these out to your neighbour if need be.

Edited by FD26

I've read that rosemary is a good cat repellant. I don't know from personal experience however.

There's a plant called Cat Nip

if I remember correctly

that deters them

Yates Keep Off is very good

sprinkle around the area the cat/s like to invade

it helped me with the 12 cats the neighbour down the road had

( until the council stepped in a took about 6 away and desexed the others left there )

I've read that rosemary is a good cat repellant. I don't know from personal experience however.

There's a plant called Cat Nip

if I remember correctly

that deters them

Yates Keep Off is very good

sprinkle around the area the cat/s like to invade

it helped me with the 12 cats the neighbour down the road had

( until the council stepped in a took about 6 away and desexed the others left there )

I think you've gotten it a bit mixed up. Cats are attracted to cat nip! :D

In this shire if a cat is trespassing on your property you can obtain a trap from council and the ranger will then come and pick it up. I fail to see why cat owners think that it's ok to allow their pets to roam, I love cats, but they need to be contained. These days it is relatively easy to provide a secure outside space for your cat, there are many innovative ways of doing this and heaps of advice is readily available on the net and the various cat forums.

Havahart spray away motion sprinkler. It is has a motion sensor and sprays water when activated...

Not sure where to get it in Aus though - might have to do some googling...

I think they call that the "Scarecrow" out here. Water restrictions could prove a problem for that though.

Edited by Erny

In the letter she dropped into our box yesterday she said they had to take him to the vet to get medication in order to be able to keep him in at night as per my previous request. What could that be about?

Perhaps she's implying that the cat becomes distressed and anxious if kept inside at night and needs a drug such as Clomicalm? She could be trying to make you feel guilty and hoping that you'll say it's ok for the cat to be outside at night. Whatever the reason it's her problem not yours.

Edited by Miranda

In the letter she dropped into our box yesterday she said they had to take him to the vet to get medication in order to be able to keep him in at night as per my previous request. What could that be about?

Perhaps she's implying that the cat becomes distressed and anxious if kept inside at night and needs a drug such as Clomicalm? She could be trying to make you feel guilty and hoping that you'll say it's ok for the cat to be outside at night. Whatever the reason it's her problem not yours.

I thought that might be what she was implying, but I wasn't sure.