Softwear Problem

Evolving

I have a little problem. I bought a Canon 500d the other day and when I tried to load the softwear onto the computer that is needed before I can connect the camera to the computer could not find anything on the disk.

Eventually when I got it to do something it the computer asked if I wanted to format the disk making me think it is blank. Today I went back to the shop I bought it from and told them and they got me a new cd from the back and I bought it home and it does the same thing.

Has anyone else had this problem or is there some fancy trick to the cd that I am missing (or really easy one :banghead: )? The other two disks that came with it work and it is not the cd drive.

I will ring canon tomorrow. Stupid weekends as I really like some of the photos I have taken so far and want to share.

Is your computer old? I am hopeless with computers but when I first got my camera (400d) I couldn't download any of the cds that came with it and couldn't view any photos, my computer was too old, I had to buy an brand new computer as well.

Did you really mean connect the camera to the computer? I would never do that, nor would most people I know, it's risky, doing this "just because you can" doesn't make it sensible or good practice. Best way is to get a card reader. They are only around $20. Put the memory card into the reader then connect it to the computer, and avoid doing any expensive un-necessary damage to your camera. It is just as quick and easy as direct from camera. The only people who recommend connecting a camera to a computer are commissioned shop assistants trying to sell you features on a camera (care factor zero).

Edited by PossumCorner

+1 for the card reader.

I don't think I've installed any of the software that comes with any of my cameras :laugh:

Oh, and my card reader went walkabout the other day and I had no choice but to connect my camera to the computer. I was also connected to the web and it automatically found what it needed in a few seconds and I was able to download from the camera to the card.

I'd say skip loading the software unless it's something you actually need. Otherwise it just bogs down the hard drive and processors with crap you'll never use.

I tried to find a card reader yesturday but had not luck. Ok I did not try very hard only looking at one shop and did not know where in the shop it would be sold.

Does a card reader work for any memory card or do I need something specific? Would I be able to get one from Dick Smith?

Edited by Evolving

Yes, Dick Smith will have them as will Target, Kmart, any computer or electronics or camera store etc.

Some card readers have slots for a variety of cards: SD, CF, XD and so on. You need to make sure the one you are looking at support your card which I *think* is the SD?