Dog Food Made By Company That Does Not Test On Animals?

mawson

Hi all,

Sorry if this question has been posted before but I am looking for a high quality dry dog food for my boxer (who has an awful time putting and keeping weight on) that is made by a company that does not test products on animals and preferably uses free range meat products and no fish.

I have read that Eagle Pack does not test products on animals but the ingredients list on a quite a few of their packets indicate chicken and Antarctic caught Anchovies which I would like to avoid. Do they make one that is primarily lamb or beef instead? Also, is anyone able to give me a guide on amount to feed (weight to feed per day in grams) for a 22kg boxer and a 40kg rotti x? I would go to the shops and look myself but I am in Antarctica at the moment for a few more weeks so no shops to check!

Any other suggestions would be great... I am happy to try alternative foods but nothing that I have to spend too much time preparing, I know this sounds lazy but the reality is that I do not have time to prepare complex meals.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

Sorry yeah I should have made that clearer!!

I don't mean testing for palatability, etc. I mean the big multinational companies that test a whole range of products (not just pet food) on laboratory animals, an example of a dog food one is Iams cutting out muscle from dogs kept in horrific conditions, etc.

For examply, I don't use any products that are made or owned by Proctor and Gamble and Unilever as they are huge multinational companies that test on laboratory animals, there are a whloe range of products that claim to be 'not tested on animals' but are parently owned by these large companies. I know that most dog food brands are owned by these large companies, hence why I was attracted to Eagle Pack, which is apparently not.

Does this make is clearer? I am not opposed to testing for taste and palatability on companion dogs...

Nutro. http://www.nutro.com.au/

Before Nutro was made here it was imported from the US, and there was no testing on laboratory animals. I would "presume" the same is to be said now it is made here? May be worth contacting them.

Nutro comes in either Lamb and Rice or Chicken and Rice and is considered to be a super premium food.

Thanks all for your replies so far.... off to check out the Nutro online now and that's great that there is no fish in the Lamb and Rice Eagle Pack.

Can't call on the phone from down here and have checked out the website but will be home in a few weeks and can call then.

Is anyone able to provide me with information on how much (in grams) to feed per day to a 22kg boxer and a 40kg rotti x of both Nutro and Eagle Pack?

Thanks again :)

Unfortunately Nutro is owned by Mars Inc. who test on animals. At the moment I use Advance who is also owned by Mars!!

Off to check out Eagle Pack Lamb and Rice...

Thanks again to everyone :D

I went all through this myself, looking for ethical companies. The only one I came up with was Eagle Pack. However I do switch to Nutro every few months.

There ain't too many companies that have never tested on animals. I am not a product person and I do try.

I carry the ethical shopping guide around with me.

As far as how much to feed, well what's on the pack is only a guide line. I feed less on EP than with Nutro.

As far as the above mentioned they are :)

Would be worth you considering Artemis dog food - I will check ingredients at work today as from memory most do have fish meal, but will let you know.

Otherwise - what about something like Vets All Natural? Comes as the premix basis of the food - I've just started a batch for Evie. Soak for 24 hours then add your meat of choice. Simple and a lot of dogs do very well on it.

That way you can add organic or free range meat and know the source is an ethical company.

Must be incredible in Antarctica!

Sags

What about Royal Canin? Yup the Eagle Pack holistic formulas are protein exclusive

feeding will depend on your dogs. Start with 2/3 of what the packet says then tweak it up or down if you see the dogs are losing/gaining weight too quickly.