Lightroom Skin Softening

becandcharch

Didn't think it warranted a separate thread but just wanted to say that I discovered split toning today! How awesome is it and how come it took me so long to find it!!!!

Please explain :D I've seen the sliders but have no idea how it works. I've just worked out how to use the adjustment brush, and can't for the life of me get the hang of cloning in lightroom. I always seem to end up with two circles and arrows that I can't do anything with :D so I have to do that bit in Picassa :laugh:

That's why I don't do much editing as at my age I fear I will be dead before I get one photo "right".

Annie

Didn't think it warranted a separate thread but just wanted to say that I discovered split toning today! How awesome is it and how come it took me so long to find it!!!!

because you only just decided to scroll down the menu and see what was over there? :D

:D :laugh:

Annie - cloning in LR sucks and is very unreliable. There isn't a great amount of control. It's not you. :laugh:

Cloning in LR is still medieval - go to Photoshop or another program for all but the least detailed cloning needs.

Split toning is awesome. It's pretty easy to start playing with: move the saturation sliders for both highlight and shadows up a bit so you can easily see the effects each colour has. Then start moving the colour sliders. It does take an enormous amount of time to find something that is just right so don't forget to save stuff that is "close" as a preset so you can come back and tweak it or simply use it as a starting point on the next image. You may find you have a lot of presets at first but as you develop your sense of style and taste you'll dump some of them. It's a learning curve for sure. And not every image takes split toning well, so it's important to just play and have fun with it so you can get a feel for things.

Don't forget that split toning works on colour images and on black/whites :D It's a bit addictive, just like any new discovery - have fun!