What Are You Working On With Your Dogs.

At the moment with CJ im working on a new trick, teaching her how to fetch a drink from the fridge. Just starting out with this but she was pretty eager to pick up the bottle.

So what is everyone else working on with there dogs?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im just starting basic training and struggling with my Yosh :laugh: Hes so stubborn. We go each Sunday and work at home.

Willow - Trying to get him to relax and down, and then starting on recall.

Yoshi - Trying to get him to sit... *sigh* :cry:

Kaos:

Weave pole entries

Weave pole footwork, speed and independence

New 'pouncing' foot target for contacts (starting on plank now)

Being able to find his 'line' between obstacles at an angle (and to look at the line/direction of travel and not at me)

Sending over one and two jumps

Tunnel entries

To do more work on soon:

Wrapping jumps and tight turning after jumps

Improve speed on seesaw and contacts in general

Zoe:

Weave pole entries

Nose touch target for contacts

sending over one and two jumps

tunnel entries

Diesel:

Shaping a drop into a PVC box

Sending over and two jumps

tunnel entries

nose touch for heeling position - stationary and a couple of steps or right about turn - aim for precision, focus and animation

Send to ball

Come fore with nice close front and animation

swing finish

oh dear - everyone is so advanced. Max & I are doing "sit". Wouldn't mind if he would drop the ball wheh he retrieves it either. But I'd be happy with a sit that lasts longer than a nano second :laugh:

well I thought I'd join in as we have just adopted a dog. We have now had Digby for 3 weeks, he is 50 kg mutt. who is very calm and quiet in most situations :(

Digby knew 'sit' but only really from the front, and not very reliably!

I find he only tends to sit if he knows you have a treat, or he gets some other privelege!

anyway here is our list

*Reliable sit (from front and heel position) and when out on walks.

* heeling

* go to his bed and stay until released (25% there)

* accept having nails clipped (80% there)

* watch me (have to add the verbal marker; watch me under distractions)

* not pulling towards other dogs - kind of comes under heeling

* accept being bumped

* desensiting him to the camera.

* not jumping on me for a cuddle (big improvement)

Digby has a bit of a camera phobia. So we have been desensitising him to it using the clicker. We have turned the corner, and he now wags his tail when he sees the camera come out. But I still need to 'proof' it. So that he is happy with anyone with a camera, in any situation.

So far the two things that Digby has learnt completely is to sit (and give eye contact) for the food bowl :mad

and

to not get on the lounges or the beds :(

Kaos:

Weave pole entries

Weave pole footwork, speed and independence

New 'pouncing' foot target for contacts (starting on plank now)

Being able to find his 'line' between obstacles at an angle (and to look at the line/direction of travel and not at me)

Sending over one and two jumps

Tunnel entries

To do more work on soon:

Wrapping jumps and tight turning after jumps

Improve speed on seesaw and contacts in general

Zoe:

Weave pole entries

Nose touch target for contacts

sending over one and two jumps

tunnel entries

Diesel:

Shaping a drop into a PVC box

Sending over and two jumps

tunnel entries

nose touch for heeling position - stationary and a couple of steps or right about turn - aim for precision, focus and animation

Send to ball

Come fore with nice close front and animation

swing finish

So you've decided to take it easy then? :mad

Roxy

Intro to heel- keeping it short (30sec at a time) today on two of the sits (out of 5), I asked her to drop. This was missed on the first try so that was ignored, heeled forward a few steps, and repeated which she understood.

Will be combining sits, stands and drop with short heeling soon I hope.

Recall-doing very well and is rehearsed every time we are outside for toilet. So far she is very fast and prompt to sit :mad

Acteon

Drop on recall- only in basic stages so far and using the method of when he's running free towards me I ask him to 'drop'. I have done one formal recall which worked well.

Retrieve dumbbell-very, very eager :( all good except he likes to give a bit of mouthing before handing the dumbbell over.

Out of sight stays-good, progressing to behind solid objects.

CK is working on improving his weaving with the 2x2 method. I'm also working on his understanding of turns. Wide flowing turns are fine and super quick, but tight, technical stuff shuts him down so we are working on that. We are also doing a lot of pivot box work.

We are also working on his confidence in general by doing a lot of clicker work.

Xena isn't training that much at present as she has a sore back. I'm working on her heel work though - forwards, sideways and backwards.

Im just starting basic training and struggling with my Yosh :mad Hes so stubborn. We go each Sunday and work at home.

Yoshi - Trying to get him to sit... *sigh* :(

What method are you using? I wasn't having great success with my Newf where we had to use halters and weren't allowed to use food. I left there and now use food to train her and she hasn't looked back. She now picks up new things in about 3 tries and does it enthusiastically whereas with the other method she always seemed bored and unhappy. You need to both enjoy training if you are to be successful.

Im just starting basic training and struggling with my Yosh :mad Hes so stubborn. We go each Sunday and work at home.

Yoshi - Trying to get him to sit... *sigh* :(

What method are you using? I wasn't having great success with my Newf where we had to use halters and weren't allowed to use food. I left there and now use food to train her and she hasn't looked back. She now picks up new things in about 3 tries and does it enthusiastically whereas with the other method she always seemed bored and unhappy. You need to both enjoy training if you are to be successful.

Using treats - doing the whole make them look up and butt hits the ground... :( But yosh decides to jump to try and get the treat instead of retreating back!! Then goes around in circles!! The trainer at our classes will keep trying with him. He loves the attention game (Treat in one hand and they have to pick it). Hes just so excited and has a load of fun but he doesnt like to concentrate :laugh: Doing the heel walking on a leash, he always tries to run and its just one of those things that we have to keep trying. :laugh:

My DH is going to be buying them some new leads that hes looked into (Halti's?? off memory.. apparantly they are awesome for poodles??) and hoping we will have some more control so he listens :cry: Hes such a boof! Too smart - he can open the door and knows exactly what Im saying.

Kivi Tarro:

Moving sideways as a lead up to targeting with his hip.

Stationary targeting with his nose.

Leslie McDevitt's Look At That! game.

Erik:

I'm working him from pivoting on a box to pivoting on flat ground so I can bring him into a nice heel position. No plans to get a perfect heel, but seemed like good practice for both of us.

Go to the mat (or "bugger off" as is the cue for Erik)

Rolling something with his foot (he's so cute with this one!)

Allowing someone to look at his teeth (he still hates it, but he'll put up with it without grumbling, fighting, or growling so that's all right)

Theoretically we're working on "leave it", but I don't have much patience for these boring yet vitally important ones. :mad

And his recall. Just conditioning and more conditioning.

Tango - newly adopted.

Working on everything really LOL But mostly TOT (to get him paying attention to me), sit (not just when there's a treat), walk on lead without pulling my arm off and not to bite me or snarl/lunge at my other dog.

Pepper - resident girl.

Lose weight. Not to try and hop into bed with grumpy new boy.

Edited by spottychick

Im just starting basic training and struggling with my Yosh :curtsey: Hes so stubborn. We go each Sunday and work at home.

Yoshi - Trying to get him to sit... *sigh* :sleep:

Using treats - doing the whole make them look up and butt hits the ground... :heart: But yosh decides to jump to try and get the treat instead of retreating back!! Then goes around in circles!! The trainer at our classes will keep trying with him. He loves the attention game (Treat in one hand and they have to pick it). Hes just so excited and has a load of fun but he doesnt like to concentrate :sleep: Doing the heel walking on a leash, he always tries to run and its just one of those things that we have to keep trying. :wave:

My DH is going to be buying them some new leads that hes looked into (Halti's?? off memory.. apparantly they are awesome for poodles??) and hoping we will have some more control so he listens :mad Hes such a boof! Too smart - he can open the door and knows exactly what Im saying.

He sounds very smart!

Be careful with halters. They can help but if the dog lunges or you jerk on them you can damage the dogs neck. Also I found, even though I was training the dog in it, that it gave me some control when I had it on, but I had virtually no control when she wasn't wearing it. I think they can give you a 'false sense of security, so to speak. Veterinary chiropractors don't like them.

I've recently started using the Easy Walk harness (with the clip ring on the front!!) on both my new dog and other people's arm-pullers - can't recommend it enough. It enables me to easily keep him under control while working with him on keeping his attention on me and learning to walk on a loose leash.

Re halters: My friend has just switched her greyhound from a head halter to a sighthound collar and discovered what many people learn - unless you have also trained the dog very well in loose leash walking and heel, the halter only teaches them not to pull when they're wearing the halter. But when they go on a collar they've learnt nothing. She didn't want to keep using the halter because it was clearly distressing her dog to have a thing on her face and pulling her head around all the time.