Waiting For A Puppy This Thread Is For You

jess live die

Oh yes not interested in her at all. She claims her pups are show quality but I am a novice and they all look like champions to me. Unfortunately another breeder has contacted me back and said her remaining pups are not of quality but am welcome to have a look as a pet. I just know if I go look I will want to buy. Another breeder has one that I keep going back and looking at photos and also says it should be fine for showing. I tend to believe her but am sooooo confused on who is being up front and who is being dodgy. The second breeder I'm comfortable with her saying not showable, but the last one I'm not sure of. It's so damn hard and I'm so weak lol

Thanks for the tips Aliwake, we had lots of success tonight with timeouts, he seems to be worse with my housemate, and he actually tried to hump her! So it's definitely a dominance thing.

Ahhhh! Thank gosh we have nothing like that. No humping, no dominance. Touch wood!

I have no patience normally LOL

However, there simply was no pups avaliable upon all my enquries but some were just born or pregnant and due.

When I found my breeder, I knew I would be blessed with one of her pups, we we waited and had the chance to get a pup much sooner, but decided to wait and happy I have. She is a great breeder, wonderful communication, weekly picture updates and her pups are amazing :)

How do people actually wait for a new puppy? Once I make a decision what I want, I want, No need to have it now, I have zero tolerance for the waiting game. My first boy was just luck, I rang a breeder that CCCQ had recommended and he just so happened to have some pups available, when I decided I wanted another boxer to keep my boy company I contacted the same breeder who had a litter due a few weeks after I inquired. It nearly killed me having to wait but I managed to survive just. Now we are on the hunt for another baby to join our growing family and I am feeling very frustrated, I know of two upcoming litters but no guarantee I will be lucky enough to get one, there is one litter born but the breeder hasn't made any decisions on which ones she is keeping at the moment. There is another breeder that has 3 pups available one I like but am unsure of and another with 3 pups available and has been pestering me to no end, like 17 emails in one day trying to convince me to take one, I've had to tell her that there is a family emergency and I just can't take another puppy right now. I don't want to just take a pup coz it's cute and adorable I want to it to be right for us and hopefully be able to show. I swear I am going to lose my mind over it all. ARRRRGH

Thanks for the tips Aliwake, we had lots of success tonight with timeouts, he seems to be worse with my housemate, and he actually tried to hump her! So it's definitely a dominance thing, but I taught her how to put him in his place and to keep it consistent and we are already seeing some changes. I'll keep you updated on how we go :)

It does sound quite similar - he would only do it when we were both sitting on the couch, and he would target me, not my husband. Initially, turning my back on him would work for a short while, then eventually I would have to leave the room to make him stop. I'd been avoiding eye contact cos I wasn't sure if it would make it worse or not?! So glad we spoke to the puppy trainer - we took a video to show her and she had no hesitation telling me to stare him down. He probably kept it up for a week or so after that, but it wasn't as bad. He does still bark occasionally when he wants attention, but he doesn't do the creepy staring thing anymore. I was so worried my puppy was going to be an aggressive psycho, but he's adorable now :) I think he was 9 weeks when that started - I would never have expected a puppy that small to try to dominate me!! Now I know...

Thanks again Aliwake! I actually tried the staring down thing this morning and it worked quite well. Had to repeat it a few times but now he just calms right down and lays down.

Houemate is still asleep but I'll show her what to do when she wakes up and hopefully we can nip this in the bud ASAP.

I'm finding my boy is pushing his limits again, probably as he gets older he's seeing how far he can go, keeping on top of it for now but I'm hoping my OH can cope as well.

So who is next on the waiting line?

Raiden, hoping you have some good news, you need it more than most.

Oh yes not interested in her at all. She claims her pups are show quality but I am a novice and they all look like champions to me. Unfortunately another breeder has contacted me back and said her remaining pups are not of quality but am welcome to have a look as a pet. I just know if I go look I will want to buy. Another breeder has one that I keep going back and looking at photos and also says it should be fine for showing. I tend to believe her but am sooooo confused on who is being up front and who is being dodgy. The second breeder I'm comfortable with her saying not showable, but the last one I'm not sure of. It's so damn hard and I'm so weak lol

Boxbright if you are waiting for a show dog patience is everything. To be honest I would look on DOL show dog profiles and find the kind of Boxer you like, find out who bred those dog/lines and approach them. Boxers are a competitive breed, showing a dog that is not 'show quality' will tire quickly...

Know your breed standard back to front, and apply every aspect when looking at the pups. Personally I'd be a bit wary of someone saying "this pup SHOULD be fine for showing" as a good breeder will only want the very best of their dogs out in the ring, it's their kennel name and reputation after all!

The breeders you're dealing with, do they all show? Perhaps you could try finding someone else within your breed who shows and has dogs you like, but doesn't necessarily breed, and ask them to help you find a good breeder or even ask their opinion on a particular pup.

If you can't do that, the next time a breeder tries to promote a pup with show potential to you, ask them why. Get them to explain to you why this pup is better than its littermates in plain English so you can understand and hopefully start to get a better grasp on what makes a good dog.

Also just remember that no one should every sell you a show quality pup, even the most promising looking youngsters only ever have show POTENTIAL. Good luck! :)

Know your breed standard back to front, and apply every aspect when looking at the pups. Personally I'd be a bit wary of someone saying "this pup SHOULD be fine for showing" as a good breeder will only want the very best of their dogs out in the ring, it's their kennel name and reputation after all!

The breeders you're dealing with, do they all show? Perhaps you could try finding someone else within your breed who shows and has dogs you like, but doesn't necessarily breed, and ask them to help you find a good breeder or even ask their opinion on a particular pup.

If you can't do that, the next time a breeder tries to promote a pup with show potential to you, ask them why. Get them to explain to you why this pup is better than its littermates in plain English so you can understand and hopefully start to get a better grasp on what makes a good dog.

Also just remember that no one should every sell you a show quality pup, even the most promising looking youngsters only ever have show POTENTIAL. Good luck! :)

Thanks for the tip. The breeder who has said that her remaining pups are not to quality has offered for me to come out and have a look at her pups and compare the ones she is planning to keep for show to the ones she's not. Luckily they are female and we are really wanting a male so I may be able to have the strength to say no.

I think that's awesome, she sounds like a caring breeder :thumbsup: I would take the opportunity to go and learn (and the puppy cuddles are just a bonus!) and let her point things out to you about the show potential pups she is keeping vs the pet only pups. The only way to learn really! :)

Dotdashdot, I want to be on your puppy list for an LUA Dal in about 5-10 years biggrin.gif

So glad to hear this! I'm glad that so far, I haven't come across anyone who doesn't support the idea...as you may know some American's were being funny about it with the whole 1 pointer in the lines.

I just hope that when the blank spots are filled, and we can import, that I have my own bitch to inseminate. So far, all I will be doing is financially supporting the importation of the semen for someone else to use (and possibly get a pup from that, but with a HUA dam, the pups only have a 50% chance of being LUA) in any case I will try to keep you updated with how things progress, there are a few on DOL that are interested.

Edited by dotdashdot

high uretic (sp) acid and Low uretic acid. It's a problem that dallies have you want to have low levels of it. It's pretty much all I know not much I know lol. dotdashdot will probably come back and explain.

in other news I am so close now! Fingers crossed it happens.

--Lhok

Edited by Lhok

I'm glad people support it here. Dals are my dream dog, but their urinary problems have always put me off. I think the whole program is amazing! I will have one one day!

Best of luck with all your plans.

I'm so excited for you Lhok! I hope it all works out smile.gif

So what's the program consist of and why would it NOT be supported? Forgive my ignorance :)

From what I could tell they crossed in a pointer somewhere along the way to get low acid dogs. These dogs were then bred into the dally gene pool and some people think of them as crossbreds sort of like the bob tail boxers. I think the whole program is amazing.

--Lhok