Waiting For A Puppy This Thread Is For You

jess live die

*gasp* I let mine have the run of the house (no bedroom access though) and they had a dog door on day 1. They were fine.

I' with you PF, there is a trend to inside only I don't really understand it. That said, my two are currently indoors after the dog door got used to break into my house twice! My outdoor area is very small so they are better off indoors but I'm getting a smaller dog door installed soon. I'm also looking move to a house with a bigger garden - when I do, they'll be outdoors and very happy about it.

*gasp* I let mine have the run of the house (no bedroom access though) and they had a dog door on day 1. They were fine.

I' with you PF, there is a trend to inside only I don't really understand it. That said, my two are currently indoors after the dog door got used to break into my house twice! My outdoor area is very small so they are better off indoors but I'm getting a smaller dog door installed soon. I'm also looking move to a house with a bigger garden - when I do, they'll be outdoors and very happy about it.

I don't have an issue on principle with "inside only". What does tend to concern me is that people make a decision to confine their pup inside with full knowledge that removal of sunshine and the opportunity for free exercise during the day needs to be properly compensated for.

Most pups aren't at the risk of theft that I think some folk consider they are.

I visited a breeder on the weekend and met some absolutely lovely puppies. I'm hoping to be placed on the waiting list for one - will be a longish wait (12 months +) but it will be worth it for sure and after meeting the pups and dogs I can see why!

PF - i agree my lil bitch will come to work during the day when she is older and wil run with the dogs at work out in the yards so she will ahve plenty of fun! but until she is big enough she will be inside when im out but i do plan for her to spend time outside everyday i dont want her to become to clingy and reliant on me...

Huski what are u getting???!!!!

Edited by kirst_goldens

Huski - Did you end up settling for a WL Springer? If so welcome (nearly :love:) to the Gundog world :love:

Love all the puppies :mad

I met a baby (12 weeks) Toller puppy on the weekend and am starting to get puppy clucky again :mad Gotta stay strong and hold out until my current puppy (8 months) is old enough to have her own litter....I am sure then I won't want a puppy after that for awhile :p Doesn't help that Jovi is such a perfect and an extremely easy puppy, she has me in rose coloured glasses!!

Edited by tollersowned

How do all the "inside only" pup owners ensure their pups aren't Vitamin D deficient?

How do you manage your penned pups for sufficient free movement to ensure adequate muscle development?

As I mentioned - this would be for 2 days per week. But since I don't leave for work until 9am those days, pup & I will have plenty of outdoor time for Vit D. People require 10 min/day - I do not have any figures for canines.

The recommendations I have read suggest giving new pups a limited area and when they've proven their behaviour & your training has been successful and proofed, you can expand the area slowly. My eventual plan is to allow run of lower floor of the house when older and proven.

Most pups aren't at the risk of theft that I think some folk consider they are.

Absolutely possible - but perhaps most people don't have a yard that is only surrounded by a 1.2m high, easily jumped fence in a new land release with plenty of strange people around every day - tradies, sticky beakers looking at new houses, thieves targeting areas where there aren't a lot of houses. They might not also live in an affluent area frequented by teens and hooligans who have attempted to break in to most houses before they're occupied just to cause mischief.

Thanks for the feedback everyone :p I'll be sure to check Vit D requirements for my breed :mad

Huski what are u getting???!!!!
How exciting Huski! What breed?
Huski - Did you end up settling for a WL Springer? If so welcome (nearly :)) to the Gundog world :confused:

LOL thanks for asking guys :rolleyes:

Yep TO looking at a WL Springer Spaniel ;) I was blown away by the dogs and pups I met on the weekend and will be willing to wait as long as it takes to get one.

How exciting Huski! What breed?

10 days to go!! (Am I crazy for counting down the days?)

Not at all, I started counting at 1 month haha

I'm also interested about the vit d requirement. How long per day generally for canines?

I've found the amount in iUs - 227/0.5kg of food. But there don't seem to be any guidelines on how much per kg your dog weighs.

My next stop is to search some research journals to see if there is a recommendation.

PoodleFan - since you brought up Vit D - do you have some accurate figures?

I've found the amount in iUs - 227/0.5kg of food. But there don't seem to be any guidelines on how much per kg your dog weighs.

My next stop is to search some research journals to see if there is a recommendation.

PoodleFan - since you brought up Vit D - do you have some accurate figures?

What sort of figures? I can tell you that if you're not feeding a decent brand of dog food, and you're not exposing your pup to at least one hour of unfiltered sunlight a day, you're possibly looking at a deficiency.

Vitamin D deficiency used to be known as rickets. It was once quite common in pups. The advent of premium dog foods makes deficiency less common these days but a raw fed pup kept inside might be in trouble.

Supplementation is tricky.

Edited by poodlefan

Thanks PF - we'll be trying Black Hawk and 1 hr a day would be easily achieved. I wasn't sure if longer coated breeds would require more access to sunlight than short coated.

I agree about supplementation - since Vit D is fat soluble, excessive build up can be just as dangerous than not enough

If the physiology in terms of use of Vit D is similar for canines as for humans, getting a little less sunshine one day isn't too terrible if you already have good levels of Vit D in your fat stores and you get enough the next day.

I visited a breeder on the weekend and met some absolutely lovely puppies. I'm hoping to be placed on the waiting list for one - will be a longish wait (12 months +) but it will be worth it for sure and after meeting the pups and dogs I can see why!

How exciting Huski! I'm sure the time will go by quickly

Thanks everyone :eek:

WL = working line. The pup will be an obedience and agility dog for me :D

How awesome for you! You must be so excited. I gotta say, I love reading about TSD's little Em. :laugh:

Yes me too and she's what first got me interested in the breed a few months ago!

I wish it wasn't so far away but I'm glad at the same time, gives me time to prepare and hopefully knock off a couple of obedience titles with Daisy.

I don't have quite as long a wait as you Huski, but nonetheless its still driving me bonkers!! We're hoping to get our Beagle around the end of the year (well, anytime after September actually!!)

Is it too early for me to be researching leads and collars and foods and ways to puppy proof the garden and checking that my plants aren't poisenous or not???? Its already doing my head in at the choice between crate training or not!! To be honest, i'd never actually heard of crate training until i started reading this forum :laugh: we've had dogs in the past, but have never had an issue with the dog staying behind or knowing where its bed was. So thats another decision!!

Guest Panzer Attack!

9 days until my little dog comes home :laugh: I cannot wait to have a dog of my own again... and I sincerely hope it will be for many years to come.