Dog Door Query

skip

Can anyone suggest good dog doors for security screens?

I haven't been able to get them before as I rented. I was thinking about simply cutting a hole in the solid wood door as it is fairly old. And buying a door only for the security screen.

I have a toy and a mini dog (40 cm at shoulder) so will go for a medium to please both. I was going to go with E-bay but would like any suggestions?

Thanks all.

If you cut a hole in the main door, isn't that going to end up being quite drafty/cold in the chilly months?

I can't really help you regarding dog doors in security screens, although I have seen them. Don't know if they were specially made for the purpose, or whether they were adjusted to include a dog door after the event. It might also depend on the style of security screen you have as to whether one can be fitted. I'm sure there are others who will pop by your thread and let you know what they do.

Do you have a sliding door the dogs can use? If you do, there is the full panel that you can purchase (that includes a dog door) and you can latch your security screen to it. Google "Pigs in Mud" - they make/supply them. They might also be able to advise you on getting a dog door in your security screen.

It's probably easier to put the dog door in the wooden door and cut a hole in the screen door, I found it was harder to get dog doors to fit screen doors they are around but they are dearer whereas you can easily get one for a wooden door from bunnings. I am renting I just buy a second hand screen door and cut a hole in it I find a curtain or blanket over the door helps to keep the chill out in winter and the heat out in summer.

i have left the main door solid and put the dog door in the fly screen also one of my doors is a glass sliding door so cant put the dog door in that. that way i have heat in winter and a cool breeze without flys in summer. i am sorry but i dont have the brand name of the dog door but if you as a screen door place they can install it for you or go to a pet store and they will have one for securoty doors

Thanks for your replies.

I looked at that site Serket but as I have found with some other companies there is no medium size? I am trying to match doors to 2 different sized dogs althou they are a mini and toy.

Erny - it is a good point about the breeze in winter as where my door is set could mean it gets a fair ammount of breeze. So as WoofnHound says maybe I should reconsider and go with a real door in the wood with the closer flap and do the hole in the older screen door. The screen door is half solid with netting on top but is what they call a safety door not 100% secirity.

THanks for the help. Been so caught up in fencing over christmas that I forgot I need to organise the doors too. If the dogs can be inside while I am at work I hope they will be more settled and less likely to try to escape my yard.

If you are renting and have a glass sliding door Pig In Mud make a dog door that you can easily remove and take with you when you leave. I haven't got one but a friend does for her medium sized dog and said it is wonderful. I think they are a bit expensive but it would be better than having your landlord taking part of your bond and giving you a bad name for damaging a door even if it is old.

With ours we put the dog door in the solid door, then when we go out we leave the screen door open. When we're home we use the screen door as normal.

That way with the dog flap in the solid door it doesn't matter if we have air con on etc

My husband got creative.

we installed our dog door in the hard wood door. And then he modified the screen door by cutting a dog door slightly bigger than the one in the hard door and getting some perspex cut to size, attached with hinges. So - when both doors are shut we just open the screen door dog door between the two doors and the dog uses the dog door in the hard door. When the hard door is open and we want to use the screen door dog door we just unclip the perspex flap and voila ... another dog door. We found that without the perspex in the hole in the screen door we had a fly invasion.

But - if you are renting and you can't cut into your screen door then this is no good to you.