Learning To Groom My Own Dogs

Zug Zug

I am starting to learn to groom my own dogs. Recent attempts not too bad, but plenty of room for improvement. I am pretty happy with how my bichon looks. Have been told recently that I made the poodle X look like a bichon too. Primarily because I haven't attempted to use clippers yet, just scissors.

What is the best way to learn how to groom them properly?

I have ordered a poodle grooming book (by Shirley Kalstone) and I have a reasonable set up at home (huge bench as part of our outside 'kitchen', hot/cold water over big laundry tub as part of the same, got some good straight and curved grooming scissors recently but just use my own hair drier - no clippers yet but hopefully soon).

Is it possible to get a grooming lesson 1 on 1? I don't even know if that service is available, but it strikes me as potentially a good option.

Personally I don't offer to teach the laymen pet owner how to clip their dog. I WILL teach them how to maintain their dog between grooms (correct brushing mainly) but I'm seriously shooting myself in the foot to teach people how to clip their own dogs! lol

In saying that, you can always ring around and see I guess...

Otherwise, check out youtube, there's a gazillion clips on there about grooming dogs, some are terrible, but watch enough and you'll get a good overview anyway. And in the end, hair grows back!!! Yes they might look funny sometimes when you've been experimenting, but in a few weeks it'll be looking fine again, and you can have another go next time! The best way to learn is to get in there and do it. :mad

And I *love* Shirlees book. It is my poodle grooming bible!! lol

Edited by flyingduster

I've maintained them between appts for many years, but now wanting to do more of it myself.

In terms of get in there and do it, that's cool. I guess in a way that's what I've started doing. I am a bit nervous about just 'getting in there' with clippers tho. There are some sensitive bits of skin in there, aren't there?

If you buy the Wahl KM clippers they come with a good little DVD. Since your dog is a poodle x - the Kalstone book is probably overkill but is does have very good general info too. I tend to give any poodle x that comes to me for grooming a Teddy Bear clip - do a search on this and you will get the idea. Good Luck

Hi Zug Zug - the DIY Dog Grooming dvd from Doggy Dooz (Edition 1) is quite good.

It show how too and explains tools, gives tips on what to watch out for (problem areas) and is aimed at the pet groomer so no show clips.

It has Bichon and Poodle clips, along with Shihs and Schnauzers and some others too.

Once you know the possible problem areas and how to work around them you can have a go with a bit more confidence.

I am self taught and have learnt a lot over the past 18 months just by doing, reading and watching everything I can get my hands on. My boy has had some 'bad hair days' but he doesn't mind, I learn and as they say it grows back and you can have another go :rofl:

When you can get some clippers I like the Wahl ones for a good cheap clipper. I wouldn't worry about the 2 speed version, I only ever used the one speed so figure it's not worth paying more for a second speed you probably won't use. The faster the clipper the quicker it heats ups and when I was learning it took a long time to clip "T", mostly cause I spent a lot of time thinking about what to do and waiting for the dog to be still cause I was scared that I would hurt him if everything wasn't just right when I finally got the clippers on him :thumbsup:

Anyway please feel free to ask as many questions as you like, I have a newbie perspective but there are a lot of very experienced groomers on here, they have helped me so much with tips and tricks and REASSURANCE :(

Aren't they nice :hug:.

Like showdog said if you can get a professional to clip them up for you and show you how (good onya Christina) it is much easier to try and follow the lines while your learning. Unfortunately I don't have anyone for about 800km so T has to put up with what he gets :rofl: so many times I have thought 'gee I wish we were closer to T's breeder so she could fix up my mistakes' :rofl:

Thanks everyone - for the offers and the reassurance.

Re why I'm not going to professional groomers - it's a good question. I have always done it that way until now (for over a decade). 2 reasons we're changing (although I'm sure we'll go back again from time to time).

First reason - this way I can keep on top of it (do it more often) and get the style I want. I've always found it really hard to explain to a groomer what I'm after and have often had the dogs back looking very neat and tidy, but with a very different haircut than I was hoping for. In particular, the bichon often came back looking quite poodley. I guess they're not a common breed but I like the bichon look (shorter version, but still rounded if you know what I mean). They just wouldn't do it.

Second reason (and this is what brought it to a head this year) - I missed our regular appointment late last year because I had to attend a family funeral. The groomers are FLAT OUT at that time of year (hot weather, xmas coming up, etc.) and I was unable to get another appointment until the New Year. They really needed a cut, and with so many grass seeds around I decided I just had to do it myself with scissors. This has happened to me before (about 5 years ago - also just before xmas) and I started to think well, if I need to know how to do it anyway for emergencies, and I need the equipment at home anyway, then why wouldn't I just do it?

And now I'm kind of enjoying myself!

Christina I have replied to your PM and thank you SO much! I will certainly take you up on that offer if we can find a time that suits you. It is a very generous offer - I'm very grateful.

And a general update - tried poodle face and feet on Zamba this morning. First attempt, very slowly. Her face turned out quite nicely I think. Feet I was less confident about and how on EARTH do you all get between their toes??? Anyway, lots to learn, but a good start. Gave her a bath and fluff dry afterwards and she actually looks quite poodley - except her nose is a bit on the short side and she's either too big (for a mini) or too small (for a standard) but oh well I think she's beautiful.

Can't post photos from home, but will do it from work next week.

Funny thing - she is a very hyper dog. She now has a permanently surprised look on her face. No doubt that look was always there, it's just that I get a clear view of it now. When you see the photos you'll know what I mean.

Yep sadly if you miss an appointment we cant just squeeze you in,we at present are 6 weeks booked out maybe more.

You miss a slot its a long wait.

Bichons arent rare & very easy to groom & a good salon would have no dramas doing a show trim manageable for a pet owner providing they didnt go in matted.If it had matts then yes the trim may not be what you wanted.

Maybe you need to ask about a good salon in your area & get them done,it will truly make learning easier if you have a line to follow.

Whilst the coat grows back bad bobos are often followed the next time.

As for feet depends what blade number your using??

Yep that's the T dog in my banner, he is a beautiful boy both in looks and nature, we love him very much :rofl:

I still have some doozy days. A few weeks ago I tried clipping his neck while he was laying down, I know this is a no no but I thought I'd just follow the existing line and quickly whip it off while he was laying quietly.

When he stood up I had taken a heap more that I wanted too :laugh: and he looks lopside :thumbsup: but it'll grow back, and his long ears cover it fairly well so at least I don't have to look at my mistake everyday :laugh:

I really enjoy grooming him, I like the time we spend just me and him, and grooming gives me a bit of a creative release.

Showdogs I'm sure you're right about a good salon should be able to accommodate the bichon style. I don't think he went in with matts, although I guess there may have been some small ones occasionally. I think it was more a communication problem. Anyway, I seem to be getting the hang of his haircut and I'm really chuffed with how he is looking now. I feel a little bit proud of myself actually. :(

Unfortunately at the salon I was using, while they treat the dogs really well and the staff are lovely and overall I've been happy, they just said 'this is the way we do bichons' and it looked just like pretty much every other dog. So I don't know but maybe I was hoping for too much or maybe they were just a bit inexperienced in that area. And also I think over time my needs have changed - in the early days I was happy so long as they came home neat and tidy, but I'm wanting a bit more these days.

As for the poodle feet - well does using the hubby's hair clipper count as a blade number? I suspect it's the equivalent of a number 10. I haven't bought my dog clippers yet (still deciding) and was pleasantly surprised that hubby's clippers did it easily. Don't tell him though! :thumbsup:

Trouble for me was getting the hair out of the nooks and crannies on the feet. I am looking forward to getting a lesson on how to do that safely. Zamba was shaking the whole time the clippers were on and I know she has never really enjoyed having her feet handled, so I want to avoid any mishaps. Today was safe, but very slow. I'm proceeding with caution.

A toe blade helps and lots of practice - My dogs arent too keen on having their feet done (I suspect quite a few dogs dont like it) and I find the more I "stuff around" the harder it becomes so I do what I can, leave them and come back at the end (or the next day)

S58.JPG

I got mine from clipperworld. They also stock grooming dvd's.

You are doing a great job with them both. Those poodle feet & face look very good.

Not keen on toe blades. As you only use one corner of the blade to do in between the toes it makes no difference really but depends what you are used to.

Videos & books are ok but a demonstration is better.

Everyone has a slightly different way of doing it. There is no one right way, its what you find best.

Sometimes someone has a different way of handling for an awkward bit, for example, & you think I will try that.

It may be something like looking at the shape of your dog & visualising the shape you would like it to be. Before you start.

Photos are good, as Flyingduster mentioned in the poodle thread. I have just done 1 of mine & scissored as my 5 blade that I sort of hedge shape with is blunt. He looks so nice but I know if I take a photo I will find heaps of bits I am not happy with.

You will learn so much more by having a lesson or two (I do this as part of my business, to those who think they are losing business by doing this, you don't! these owners will have a go at doing there dogs anyway, so you may as well help them to achieve a better result. I still get some people come back who have had a lesson but want me to fix up the lines after a few home grooms)

having someone to teach you will also pick up any bad habits you may have or any safety issues.

i was watching a you tube video the other day of someone grooming a dog, at the end they got the dog all excited and jumping up at them while the dog was still on the table - the groomer still had scissors in their hands!!! An accident waiting to happen.