Undecended Testicles In A Pup

Stitch

I would be interested to hear everyones opinion on how long they would be prepared to wait for a pups testicles to descend.

I have always only waited to 12 weeks and if they were not down by then, then it was too late and the pup should go as a pet and be desexed.

My thoughts are that if you are prepared to wait longer and maybe they do descend, that you are only perpetuating the problem in future generations if you use the dog at stud.

Maybe giving 12 weeks is being too generous???

What are your thoughts and experience?

How would you treat it if the pup had two testes at 8 weeks was sent to a new home, and then they weren't seen again until the pup was 20 weeks or so?!

ooh trickey :)

Were they palpable?

Did the pup's dam whelp any other pups with issues?

Edited by poodlefan

I don't think you can have a hard and fast rule like that. If I did I don't think I would have any males here, don't think I have ever had them right down at 8 weeks. Personally if I can feel them they have always came down so I give them time

I don't think you can have a hard and fast rule like that. If I did I don't think I would have any males here, don't think I have ever had them right down at 8 weeks. Personally if I can feel them they have always came down so I give them time

I think as a breeder, choices to 'run on' allow the decision to be delayed.

However, as a buyer, if a pup has a question mark on its testicles at 8 weeks, its a significant factor in its suitability as a show prospect. Conformation faults are one thing but one testicle is a show stopper - literally.

Perhaps breed plays a part but given the issues in Whippet, my dog's breeder would not have sold him to me without two testicles and I was more than happy with that.

Edited by poodlefan

As a breeder I am very much aware that if I don't make the hard decisions on certain aspects of confirmation or as in this case, testicles, then all I am doing is perpetuating a situation for future generations. So that means if I wait and the testicles come down (by some miracle) say at 3-4 months then there is a good probability that future generations will do the same or worse.

If I have never been able to feel testicles in a pup and at 9weeks I still can't feel them, then I am thinking that if I keep the dog, his progeny will probably have the same or worse issues.

It really is a difficult decision but one that I feel is necessary. I hope I am right!

Edited by STITCH

I have kept a dog that was late becoming entire (6mths) and had no problems with his progeny. From the only litter old enough to be bred his daughter produced 3 entire dogs and his sons litter is currently 4 weeks and with a very quick feel I can say 2 of them are entire already. i think in his case they just needed to get a little bigger and weigh more.

I think there is a difference between being able to feel them and being fully descended. If I can't feel them by 10 week max I let them go but if they are right down I am happy to give them a bit of time

I have had a late descending testicle in two different breeds.

Both times, coincidentally, the "penny" dropped at 9 months with little or no interference, no massaging, no stuffing around with diet or supplementation.

In both breeds, there was never any further issue with brothers, sons or other related dogs having, or passing on the problem.

One of the most important things to remember is that it is generally accepted that monorchidism and cryptorchidism are passed through the bitch lines so throwing the dogs out of a breeding program isn't necessarily the answer.

Yes Ellz, you are quite correct. Eliminating the dogs from the breeding lines is not enough.

You have to also eliminate the females as well.

I think that is why this problem continues, as not all breeders are aware of this or willing to sacrifice a nice bitch as it can't be detected in bitches.

Edited by STITCH