Irresponsible Dog Owners

kiesha09

Last night I was doing some training with my dog at the front door (as she is a door dasher and was hit by a car on the weekend to rectify this) with my girl on a lead. We walked to the end of the drive way for some heeling practice in between repetitions.

While at the end of the drive way an off lead German Shepherd comes charging at us across the road with his owner in persuit screaming at him to come back. The body language of the GS was not positive at all so I threw some treats I was using in training at the end of the drive way and rushed my dog inside.

The man proceeds to tell me his dog was dog agressive :thumbsup:

So please tell me why the hell a dog aggressive dog with no recall is walking along the footpath OFF LEAD!!!!!!!!!! :) :D :rofl: :D :rofl::rofl::o:eek:

I tried to explain it all to him - what if your dog gets hit by a car next time it runs across the road, my dog got hit on the weekend and thats why we're training now onlead blah blah blah... but I'm sure it all went in one ear and out the other as off he walked with his dog off lead ;)

I know my dogs aren't perfect and i don't expect his to be either but surely its not too much to ask for the dogs owner to be somewhat responsible and manage these problems... how do you get through to these people?

Nope the dog hadn't escaped, he was just walking him off lead. When I lectured him about it (couldn't help myself) he said that his dog liked walking better off-lead and he gets a better run around!

I hate to bitch and moan about things like this but I just got on my nerves so much. Especially since my dog had just been hit by a car and I remember all too clearly what that image looked like and how scared I was. I wouldn't want anyone to have to go through it.

Edited by kiesha09

The dog could have escaped and he was trying to catch him/her?

No Excuse.

People with aggressive dogs have a responsibility to MAKE SURE their dogs do not escape and harrass/threaten other people/dogs.

Problem is most of those people are irresponsible and that is why no amount of talking to them ever helps.

They know their dog is aggressive and they just cannot be bothered taking any steps to protect anyone or anything because it is usually NOT their dog that gets hurt or scared in an attack.

Nope the dog hadn't escaped, he was just walking him off lead. When I lectured him about it (couldn't help myself) he said that his dog liked walking better off-lead and he gets a better run around!

and the poor dog and families that he goes after thats just wrong theres no getting through to some people

Must have been the night for idiots. Before we went out I saw two young (no more than 6 or 7 y.o.) girls walking labs without parents/adults in sight. I know the dogs and neither should be walked by a young person who cannot physically control them.

Then to top it off when we were coming home from our walk a guy was walking up the road towards us with his ACD looking dog that was straining at the end of the leash to get to my two. He was seriously jerking this dog around while continuing to talk on his mobile phone. Then just as he got off the phone his dog decided to have a serious lung and bark/hissy fit at my two (who were still at least 5m away from this dog).

The guy yelled at the dog and then belted it with what looked to be a purpose build bit of lead/rope or something similar. :thumbsup:

I couldn't believe it and told him so, along with suggesting that the dog didn't understand and that I'd probably be pretty upset if I got belted every time another dog came near me too. He seemed genuinely surprised that someone would call him out for hitting his dog.

I just don't get why some people have dogs if this is the way they are going to treat them. :)