To Flash Or Not To Flash..

becandcharch

I am starting to want to experiment with using a flash.

None of my photos have a flash used and are all in natural light. This is partly because I like the look if them and partly because I only have the

flash on my camera that tends to make people look like they are being interrogated.

I have started very briefly reading about off camera flash, Ring Flash's, Speedlights, Something about Masters and Slaves (ooh kinky) ???

Wondering what you use for which different types of photos?

Ta!

Getting an external flash, even just mounted on your camera, will open up all sorts of new avenues for you and your photography.

Once you move that baby OFF the camera there are no limits. OCF rocks but it can be a pain and requires yet more gear.

But it's well worth it.

For OCF you'll need:

- an external flash unit (if you are Canon look at the 580 as it can be a master or a slave and has lots of nifty features).

- a lightstand (get a sturdy one, these suckers will topple in a breeze)

- some sort of trigger system. Cactus triggers can be found on ebay are cheap (really!) and mine actually work. POTN has a couple of threads with how to make them even more reliable. Not a bad way to get into OCF at all. If you want more reliable & more bells & whistles head to Elinchrom or Pocket (Poverty) Wizards. I currently use Elinchrom and they not only work all the time, but their customer support here in Australia has been fantastic. Ash's studio uses Pocket Wizards.

After you have those three things, in addition to your camera & lenses, of course, you're set to go...then you'll start to want to add more flashes, different types of attachments like umbrellas, softboxes, grids, gobos...

:)

Check out www.strobist.com as there are some very nice getting started guides and his blog has neat things happening. There is also a flickr group (of course) and assignments you can do.

I've just bought a 580 speedlite this week! It should arrive in the next couple of days and I'm so excited. I was looking at the 430 as well but I loved the idea of being able to use it as a slave or master and I'm sure when I get into using the speedlite more, i will want to have multiple flashes.

i found the flash on the 450d to be very harsh and I just wasn't a fan. I rarely use it - in fact i used it for the first time in about 6 months the other day and it was only for 1 photo that didn't have to be any good.

Thanks for the website kja!

A Question for Kja.

My tutor at my course I did uses these sorts of contraptions: Flash system

Not this model, his was slightly older but same thing. He swears by them and think the speedlights are too weak. He showed me how they worked and even though slightly awkward things they gave some amazing pictures. I was thinking about buying a second hand one to play with as I LOVE flash work.

Do you have one of theses and recommend?

Yeah, the Metz units are good for 2nd and 3rd flashes if you have a Canon speedlite as your main/master.

the other nice thing about the Metz units is that they are cheap :)

:thumbsup: maybe I got the wrong unit. His was the only external flash plugged into his 5D, no speedlights were about. You held it over the subject, Like the olden day flashes. It was more powerful then a speedlight. I will go ask what he uses.

Yes, you can do what he does so if that's what you want to do of course it can be done :thumbsup: I'm not sure what benefit you'd get from having to muck around - seems it would be harder than it's worth since you already have a speedlite, though.

Do you need more power?

Check out the small studio & lighting area on POTN and also head over to strobist - you'll find lots of information on it.

Edited by kja

Hey Rocco - before you buy a Metz, let me know what you're interested in and I'll get a price for you... I have contacts for Metz stuff. :)

Thanks Ash, I was just going to buy a cheap second hand one off ebay to play with. They seem extremely pricey brand new :o