Pannus

Shmurps

I have noticed that a lot of greyhounds are now being diagnosed with pannus. When I looked it up they say it's found in german shepherds. I have friends that have german sheperds and have never heard of it.

If it's hereditary has it been breed out? Just curious.

Pannus is an immune mediated corneal disease primarily found in the German Shepard breed although other predisposed breeds include Greyhounds, Huskies, and Dachshunds. Other breeds reported to have problems with pannus include Poodles, Border Collies, and Labrador Retrievers. Ultraviolet light and altitude influence the severity of the disease. Pannus is a progressive, non painful, inflammatory disease of the cornea, conjunctiva, and sometimes the third eyelids (when affecting the third eyelid, it is termed "atypical pannus" or "plasmoma"). Variable proportions of pigmentation, corneal vascularization, granulation tissue, and cholesterol deposits characterize Pannus. The corneal changes usually begin on the lower outside surface of the eye. Both eyes are affected, though the diseased regions may be asymmetric. Some dogs also have dry eye problems. As the disease progresses, blindness can develop. The cause of Pannus is not well understood, but several factors are involved: The breed incidence suggests a heritable predisposition. Additionally, UV (ultraviolet) radiation plays an important role as an inciting and propagating factor. Dogs living at high altitudes and low altitudes are more severely affected. Also, autoimmune factors and possibly genetics play a part.

I have noticed that a lot of greyhounds are now being diagnosed with pannus. When I looked it up they say it's found in german shepherds. I have friends that have german sheperds and have never heard of it.

Racing greyhounds are bred for speed and keeness to chase - No regard for things like pannus, which usually develops at an older age than when they're racing.

I had a German Shepherd who was diagnosed with Pannus at about age 7. Unfortunately she passed away 18 months ago from cancer aged 10yo :( . The problem continually got worse over time and affected both eyes. Its something you wouldn't wish on your dog, no matter how diligent you are with the drops and cream.

She loved to sit in the sun a lot! Whether it was inherited I don't know, but she was a registered dog from a well known breeder in NSW and her father was a popular dog used at the time. She has many siblings still around today.

I have seen two shepherd X's with pannus, but no purebreds as yet.

My girl was a purebred GSD, her sire was Waldo Vom Noricum. I often wonder was she a victim of her

Australian environment ( to much sun). I made sure my next GSD wasn't from the same bloodlines.

Carla had the most beautiful nature you could ever want in a GSD or any dog for that matter, she didn't deserve to loose most of her sight to Pannus.

Fate stepped in and shortened her life, had it not I would have sort treatment in the way of laser surgery if the pannus took over her eyes.

I don't think our lovely sunshines helps much at all!

Both dogs that I have seen responded very well to treatment which in one case halted the symptoms and the other they actually improved to a point.

Don't see too many Purebred Sheps down here now, I know of two but 15 years ago there was a lot of them. Shame really. Two in particular I took a real shine too.

Sorry to hear about your girl. So very hard when they are taken too soon.