Rehoming

crazywhips

Such a heartbreaking question/reality for most. :)

My situation. 3 dogs at home. 2 x showdogs 1 x retired show dog.

The decision has been made to move interstate for min 12 months. No dogs allowed as it is in the mines.

The 2 show dogs are in partnership and going to their other owner but the other one has just turned 11.

So, how old is too old to be rehomed. He is unable to stay with family as they are already above their limit of dogs as are friends.

About Sam. As said he is 11. Almost completely deaf. (Wakes us up most morning sitting in the middle of the back yard scared about nothing barking) Has some small lumps. (not a worry) A little arthritis. Otherwise pretty good.

What to do???? (Not moving is not an option) Do i think (quickly) about trying to find a suitable home or ............ the most heartbreaking thing PTS. :rofl:

Help me make the right decision for Sam. :eek: :D

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just wouldn't go either... so not sure how much help I'll be.

However, if no one I knew or trusted could take my girls (or if a suitable home - who knew their quirks well could not be found so I could settle them before I left) then I would PTS.

Although, I'd move heaven and hell before it came to that for me.

But a deaf 11yo may not cope well in a new environment - although, they are more adaptable than we give them credit for.

What an awful situation for you to be in ! I'm no help I'm afraid...would hate to be in your shoes...not sure what I'd do, probably not move but you say that's not an option.

Maybe one of your friends or family could take him and apply for an extra depending on the council area they are in, specially as he's an older dog they could say he belonged to their elderly parents or something. Any of your friends live on acreage where no one will even notice an extra ?

My first thoughts run like this...

If you rehome him- would you rest easy after moving?Do you have a long time frame in which he could be slowly assimilated into another environment?

Does he cope well with change now?

What's he like in unfamiliar situations?

If he were mine, I would spoil him rotten for whatever time is left, and then send him on his journey over the bridge..

I would grieve, but I would not always have that nagging worry that he was somewhere else, unhappy, or confused...

Not a good decision..but you have to go where life takes you :):rofl:

I have rehomed a 10 year old. You CAN find the right home, many of the older generation are happy to give an oldie a couple of good years. All you can do is try, be upfront about his needs etc. Good luck!

I'm with you persephone. RE-homing a dog is not like re-homing a child. And I love, love, love my dogs and don't have any kids.

You have to do what is best for your whole family - and sometimes taht means moving. Having an income is important.

You need to honestly assess his chances of re-homing (you could post on the rescue thread) and whether he would adjust to a new home. And putting a dog down isn't the same as putting a child down - don't let anyone make you feel worse than I'm sure you already do.

Thanks for the quick replys.

As i said NOT moving is not an option.

We are working on 12 months to pay off as much of mortgage as possible so then i can come home and have Human kids and my doggy kids again. As much as i absolutely love my doggy kids, my husband and his needs are most important at this time. (We have already been in seperate states for 18 months, it's time to give something back to him)

I guess..... no i don't guess i just don't know. Time to think long and hard. :rofl::)

I wont give up my dogs ever again,had to do it once before,but thats me,i'm not in your situation.

Sometimes we do have to do things we dont like,and i dont envy you ,but if i absolutely had to,i would do the same as persephone with a very old dog,IF you cant find someone suitable to look after him that you trust.

Best wishes,i know whatever you decide will be hard.

Why is there no possibility to take him with you?

I find it pretty sad to rehome a dog thats 11 years old, [probably your mate for all those years] and almost completely deaf!

Putting him to sleep is probably the easiest option altough, would never been mine.

I have faced this exact situation, except she was nearly 12 and although a little deaf, in excellant health. Cleo simply could not come with us when we moved from NZ 14 months ago, she would not have coped with the climate and would not have coped with the flight (has ear issues)

We made the decision to try and find her a home but if we couldn't we would have her PTS. Not moving was not an option for us either.

Miraculously Cleo found a fabulous home, where she is still doing great and ruling the roost, she's even learned to swim and kayak at the age of 13!

If you feel your dog could cope with a change of home then by all means try to find him a home, but at the same time mentally prepare yourself for the horrible decision that he must go to the bridge. What other choice do you have, dump him? (tongue in cheek) You can't take him with you and if you can't find him a home where he will be happy there is only one choice to be made. Don't compromise on the choice of home just to save yourself the pain of having to give him his wings, you will never ever forgive yourself if you do that.

ETA: we have made a pledge that once we own our own home we will repay the kindness of Cleo's new family by taking in a old rescue ourselves.

Edited by Sandra777

If he wakes up confused, could he have the beginnings of dementia? Dementia is an awful curse, I've now had 3 dogs with dementia and one of them in particular was very difficult to live with. I hung on for many months until something else took her, but it wasn't easy - I was seriously sleep deprived. She was a foster dog and I couldn't get permission to put her to sleep, if she'd been my own dog, I would have done it.

We took in a an oldie from friends who had to move interstate quickly & relocating their 11yr old border colliex with them wasn't an option :eek:

After abit of a chat OH & I said we would take Jack on (we have two acres & then 3other dogs) knowing that we could give him a loving final home :D

He settled in well, enjoyed a diet of raw meaty bones, with the occasional fresh wallaby & the company of other canines, which he had never had. He even became the unoffical uncle to our first Gsd litter :)

Dear Jack quietly died in his sleep on Good Friday last year after almost a year with us :rofl:

About Sam. As said he is 11. Almost completely deaf. (Wakes us up most morning sitting in the middle of the back yard scared about nothing barking) Has some small lumps. (not a worry) A little arthritis. Otherwise pretty good.

The bolded bit would be enough for me to know he wouldn't fare too well in a new home if he is already confused in his own home.

If it were me in this situation, I would spoil him rotten and then PTS right before I had to leave.

ETA: we have made a pledge that once we own our own home we will repay the kindness of Cleo's new family by taking in a old rescue ourselves.

I think that is such an honorable thing to do, I take my hat off to you.

Edited by Golden Rules

I have had Bertie for about 3 years, he was given to me when he was 11 or 12, he has been the best dog I have ever had.

My sister couldn't keep him anymore & was going to PTS because she didn't want to think of him living in a bad situation & she didn't think anyone she trusted would want him. Turns out there was another person after me putting their hand up. :rofl:

So ask around, you never know.

Good luck. :)

I would take on an 11 year old dog in a heartbeat by the way - I rescue dogs and have rescued them right up to 14 year of age. They are so amazing, adaptable and often still have so much love to give. They are sometimes hard of hearing, a bit arthritic but I'm not 100% either and I adore them. Sometimes with some tlc, they start running round the oval again!

I've even managed to find a very special home for a dog aged around 13 or so who is very treasured.

However, in some cases, it simply isn't fair and it is best to let them go rather than put them through all the stress and confusion of a new environment, new people and new rules.