Walking The Dog Log

Daisy

Sorry Guys I need to remember to check in here more. Well Jet is now living with my parents due to OH parents no longer wanting him with us :laugh: Its a long story but while we are looking for a place of our own which may take a couple of months he will be staying there. My little sisters have said they will play fetch with him daily and give him a walk as much as they can. I am going to try and get over there at least every second day (they live half an hour away)

I am going over there this afternoon and I will be walking him and doing some obedience. The good thing about him being at my parents as there is a dog park close by and also its a new small estate so alot to walk around and see.

Hi dog walkers, We went to the park last night, even tho it was still hot here :wave: just a quick walk to the pond and back really. Unfortunately we had a big scare with some borderline agressive dogs off leash and out of control where they shouldn't have been and I'm not sure if I'm going to be brave enough to go back any time soon :laugh:

My dogs are ok, but they were all tied into the back of the car (station wagon) with the boot up while I walked 20m and put a set of keys I had found on a post so that the owner might find them, there were no people or dogs in sight and it was warm so that is why I left the car open. Across the other side of the carpark is another park, it is no dogs allowed, not even on leash! and bushes block all view into there. A bully breed dog came barreling out of there right when I was at the furthest point from my car no owners in sight, first it came to me, but was not friendly, then it saw my dogs in the back of the car and went rushing over to them. By the time I got there my dogs were looking quite uncomfortable about this dog there checking them out and I did not like his body language. I was considering what to do, as I didn't feel comfortable takeing hold of his collar (first time I've felt scared of a dog in many years) when a 2nd bully breed came rushing out, and towards my dogs, he looked totally agressive, so I quickly reached up and closed the boot of my car, catching dog noses (including my own) before he could get to my dogs too. once the car was closed these dogs were madly jumping up on my car trying to find a way in to get at my dogs and I was making my way to the drivers door when they decided they couldn't get at my dogs and started approaching me :laugh: not looking friendly. I managed to get in my car just as I heard the owners calling these dogs (to no affect) and drove away quicly, I think I sped the whole way home. I can't stop imagining what might have happened if one of them had jumping into my car, or if I hadn't gotten the boot shut in time.

:laugh: what a terrible thing to happen. If the owners dogs acted like that why the hell would he take them off the lease. Jet is a small amount agressive when he isn't focused on things to larger dogs so there is no way I would take him off the lead like that.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, I managed to drag my sorry butt out of bed this morning at 5 to 6 and I took Bosco for an hours walk! It nearly killed me, and he was getting a little slow by the time we got home, but I'm looking forward to looking and feeling better in a few weeks time, not to mention that it will also do the world of good for Bos.

Thanks Daisy for starting this thread - I just hope I can keep it up now ;)

Well done Em!! :p :)

Sometimes I wish i still lived in Canberra, then we could go walking together ;)

I took the 3 whippies for a walk last night in the cool, it was a lovely evening here, it was only a reasonably short one, because my old girl can't walk for too long, but the younger one could walk for hours, so I need to be doing 3 different walks, 1 with Skye, another with Flynn and Jazz, and then another with my greyhound, but it all takes so long, and it is so difficult to take one without the others. I have to sneak around collecting leads so the others don't hear............the joys of it all. :)

i know all about that sneaking round getting leads on :p having 7 dogs here there is no way I could take them all out at once

jettyjet sory to hear about your situation and hope that you find a house soon!

My daughter is back from her grandmas and actually got up and went walking with me this morning, which was nice :p We took Hugo and Ryan.

Hi dog walkers, my dogs and I went for a street walk :welcome: tonight for almost an hour, its been awhile since we have bothered with on leash walks, but after the first block of feralness they settled down and were good boys (Anna is an honorary boy :p ) Not nearly as nice as a good run at the park but better than nothing until I get my nerve back to go there after last time.

At least they did get a walk Cas :cheer:

I have to work today but don't start till 10, so it is a leisurely morning :vomit: I have fed all the dogs, done two loads of washing, and tool Tildy out for a nice long walk :flame: Just a well we went out fairly early though (around 7) as it is already starting to get very hot outside.

Dog training has started back, i didn't think it was starting until february. I had planned on taking my foster boy Hugo, as he is a big brindle cross-breed he will be very hard to find a home for, so I thought if he was well-trained that would help. But with all the work i have been putting into Hugo, my little whippet girl Ari has not been getting any training and has become a real Feral Cheryl! So I may have to alternate weeks with them. I had also thought that if I did put in some work with Ari we may be able to try agility eventually. After my three current fosters find homes I will probably have a bit of a break from fostering for a while so I can actually spend some more time with my dogs. It looks as though Happy may have a home to go to in a few weeks which is great (if you are wondering why I haven't mentioned walking him he was not fully vaccinated before so has not been going out of the yard).

Edited by Daisy

Took Rosie for a 1/2 hour walk last night - my 11 year old son came with us. Was great except for the fool dog owner who let his dog off the leash as he walked in the gate of the school near (the one my kids go to) ignored the fact his dog took a huge dump and then sauntered over to retrieve it when it came bolting over to the gate as we passed.:vomit: Rosie was great though - sat quietly while we waited for this guy :cheer:

This looks like a fun thread can I join too.

Walking the dog is a pleasure once you get on the road, its the thinking about it that I really hate.

I have painful knees and ankles and have a 5 year old Rottie who is just "full of it" so walking is a must but its also sometimes a pain, truly.

This looks like a fun thread can I join too.

Walking the dog is a pleasure once you get on the road, its the thinking about it that I really hate.

I have painful knees and ankles and have a 5 year old Rottie who is just "full of it" so walking is a must but its also sometimes a pain, truly.

Welcome and i know what you mean! getting out the door is the hard part its so easy just to say we will go out tomorrow.

We had a lovely walk last night altho Hudson pulled like a train and ran to every tree to pee and he is usually a good walker. I also popped myself and Maya on the scales last night and she has lost just over a kilo WAHOO!!!!! "one slim dog coming up" :laugh:

Well, I had a light bulb moment on yesterday's walk. I'm walking too slowly. If I jog then Max doesn't pull, but keeps a nice steady trot going. :) Now, if only I were built for jogging! :) I also forsee issues when he suddenly smells something interesting on the other side of the road and takes the shortest route i.e. straight in front of me! The mind boggles! Oh well, I guess I'd better invest in a decent pair of takkies!

I'm thinking i will join this thread, next week OH moves out so i'll have more time for the boys again - hopefully i can get into the habit of walking the boys nightly again, and then keep the habit even if the OH moves back in at a later stage (depends on if we can work the relationship out).

But this week and next week will probably be out, but i'll see how i go :)

Edited by KitKat

you are welcome to join us KitKat :)

I was out with Dozey this morning, and also managed to get out for a second walk last night with Clydey ;)

Dog training tonight with Hugo, as long as i don't get held up at work.

Just got back from an hour at the park, our first time since the incident the other day. No unsocible dogs or people today, the dogs had a great time, I LOVE watching them zoom.

:(

Made it to dog training tonight, Hugo is doing very well, ready to move up from the very beginners into the next group :cry: I was chatting with the trainer, and telling her that Hugo is a foster and I am looking for a home for him. She said that he is lovely and doing very well, and after putting in all the hard work i won't be able to part with him - but I already have 4 dogs, much as I like Huges he does need to find his forever home eventually

Hi Daisy, good on you for taking a foster to training, I bet he loves it :( and I'm sure will help him find his perfect forever home :cry: even if it makes parting ways harder.

My dogs miss training, hasn't started back up yet this year for us.

Confession time - I missed two days... Celebrating (and then recovering from) Australia Day, but Bos and I were back out on the beat this morning!! Another hour long walk for both of us. At least I might start to get fit with all this walking :)

Met 5 dogs along the way today, all with owners, but 3 were off lead. I didnt really say anything, because the owners saw me and put them straight back on lead, but one closer to home, the woman just veered off in another direction. Didnt stop her dog wandering over though. Luckily, all Bosco wants to do is say hi to other dogs, but I just dragged him away and didnt let this dog get too close. I did mention something under my breath about putting her dog on a friggin lead though.

We go back to training first week of Feb, so that will be good too. :(

Daisy, it would be good if you were here to walk with - I need to do distraction training with Bosco to ignore other dogs when we walk - He is pretty much perfect on our walks, until he sees a dog that he wants to say hi to, and then I need to be prepared for it unless I want to dislocate my shoulder!!!

Happy walking all, and I promise to be much better from now on :grouphug:

Daisy, it would be good if you were here to walk with - I need to do distraction training with Bosco to ignore other dogs when we walk - He is pretty much perfect on our walks, until he sees a dog that he wants to say hi to, and then I need to be prepared for it unless I want to dislocate my shoulder!!!

My foster Hugo is exactly the same! He usually walks fairly nicely on lead until he sees another dog.

Took little Ari the whippy girl out this morning on her own, she was much better behaved than when we took her out walking with one of the other dogs a few days ago.